Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT My new toy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
No pics except for the CL ad.
My work here is done.

OOPs.......the ad has expired but I just happened to save a pic on my puter.
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 31 2013, 05:18 AM) *

No pics except for the CL ad.
My work here is done.

OOPs.......the ad has expired but I just happened to save a pic on my puter.

66 Fastback?! Nice score! beerchug.gif
billh1963
The fastback is the only early Mustang I really like....nice!
KELTY360
Oh man! That takes me back. Had one in the early 70s, 289/4V. 1st car I ever put radials on...what a difference. Traded it in on a '73 914 1.7. Wish I had both of them back.
Porschef
Nice. GT rims. Is it a GT? they actually had front discs.

jtf914
Nice! My second car was a 71 Mach 1 with a 351 Cleveland. What a beast (and a boat)... Have fun.
J P Stein
QUOTE(Porschef @ Aug 31 2013, 05:37 AM) *

Nice. GT rims. Is it a GT? they actually had front discs.

No, it's a non numbers matching car....originally a 3 speed with drum brakes.
The body work/paint are of driver quality. I found no rust.....but I know it's lurking there somewhere. dry.gif

It has the makings for a good hot rod......nice but no too nice to hack on......the solid white is a plus ......I can't deal with matching metallics.
I wasn't particularly looking for a fastback but this kinda fell into my lap just a few miles from home. Fastbacks are gettin' tough to find for moderate bucks. Even this was $20k+.

First off is suspension & brakes.......a good winter project. Then a HP infusion.
r_towle
My first car in high school was a real 66GT fastback.

I am very jealous...

Rear trunk floor is key...the rear end is welded to the floor....in a not very smart way.

They also sell a full frame kit to tie the front and rear together....look into that, worth the time prior to adding power.

Have fun.
J P Stein
Hay, Rich.
Ayup, the subframe connectors are in that winter mix.....Another car to figure out & I'm working on it.
Gonna go buy a 120V welder and do another round of DIY engineering.....hay, that worked on the 914. biggrin.gif

My son has a coupe & I saw it up on a rack down in CA after he had it blasted.
If ever a car needed seam welding, that was it. The assembly of the sheet metal bits on that unibody (where ya can't see em') was gawd awful......or worse. Unfortunately I can't do that to this car with out burning it up.....maybe I can do some of it in manageable chunks.
r_towle
Look at the rear end and rear trunk floor things...
Stupid idea, mine both broke up into the trunk while....cough cough....racing.

Seam weld, maybe, gusset plates on top and underneath, along with some structure would be more what I would do.

Someday, I look frequently for just that car....a driver 66 fastback that needs love.

Motor...well I personally would go for the DOHC boss 302 motor they finally built.
It's a year or two old, and finally....no more push rods.

It may be simple to tie the two frames together and do it a lot cheaper than the kits I have seen, but at this point in my life I would probably buy the kit just to save time...which I don't have a lot of.

Rich
Drums66
.... first.gif boldblue.gif stones.gif rock_band.gif thumb3d.gif
flag.gif shades.gif bye1.gif ......(Great ride!!!)
Drums66
.....Please don't cook breakfast....in the trunk!!!!LOL
bye1.gif laugh.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Aug 31 2013, 07:31 AM) *

Look at the rear end and rear trunk floor things...
Stupid idea, mine both broke up into the trunk while....cough cough....racing.

Seam weld, maybe, gusset plates on top and underneath, along with some structure would be more what I would do.

Someday, I look frequently for just that car....a driver 66 fastback that needs love.

Motor...well I personally would go for the DOHC boss 302 motor they finally built.
It's a year or two old, and finally....no more push rods.

It may be simple to tie the two frames together and do it a lot cheaper than the kits I have seen, but at this point in my life I would probably buy the kit just to save time...which I don't have a lot of.

Rich

Oh yeah, about 7-8k for the cammer crate motor ...with the wiring harness from Summit and the shock towers need to go.....I tole ya I was working on it. biggrin.gif
Van914
The Gears TV Show did a 67 Cougar. Removed shock towers. You should be able to Google the show.
Nice car I had a 67 Coupe and a 71 Coupe.
Good luck
Van
Maltese Falcon
Awesome fastback, good find.
I learned stick shift on a 3 speed '66 fastback 289, and a 3 speed on-the-tree Chevelle '65 six
Cylinder. The floor shift Mustang was a dream !
If you need decent restoration parts for your project without the hype:
Drake Automotive Group, in Henderson NV.
Marty
Randal

That is really nice JP. And with all the great suspension stuff available today you can make a great driver out of her.

I'll never forget the first one I heard with a high performance 289 badge on it. So cool. Maybe it was just solid lifters, but you knew something fun was going on under the hood.

I hope you're going to put a 4 speed in.

Ought to go like hell with about 450hp! flag.gif
J P Stein
It is a 4 speed car now.

No good putting a load of power into it as ya can't get much tire under it without tubbing it...bout 245s are it...a non happening deal with a very nice interior.

I'm thinkin' a 331/347/cammer for giggles......after the brakes/chassis/suspenders. A pee pot load of choices for the above.

After listening to the 289 run.....it's been breathed on & will duffernow.

Marty:
Bout all it needs from the resto parts bin are door pulls (maybe some nice black Porshe style straps?) & a padded dash(cracked).

I'll post some pics when it gets home.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Aug 31 2013, 02:55 PM) *

It is a 4 speed car now.

No good putting a load of power into it as ya can't get much tire under it without tubbing it...bout 245s are it...a non happening deal with a very nice interior.

I'm thinkin' a 331/347/cammer for giggles......after the brakes/chassis/suspenders. A pee pot load of choices for the above.

After listening to the 289 run.....it's been breathed on & will duffernow.

Marty:
Bout all it needs from the resto parts bin are door pulls (maybe some nice black Porshe style straps?) & a padded dash(cracked).

I'll post some pics when it gets home.

A friend I had back in the 60's Dad was a VP for Ford. So he bought his son, my friend, one of the original Shelby 350's. White with blue stripes. Beautiful. Of course he wasn't happy with the original motor, so put an Engle roller cam in the motor. That little 289 was crazy fast after that. And it handled. We used to take it up into the hills above San Jose, take the mufflers off and.....well you get the idea.

By the way that car (not tubed) would just hook up and go. Great balance. Shelby knew what he was doing.
J P Stein
Sure, I could get it to hook up.....I started out in drag racing......but I'm going down
with the ride height rather than up. I'll get it handling as well as I can but it's no 914. biggrin.gif
JRust
Nice ride JP! We need a project thread from you man. Been a while smash.gif
Randal
QUOTE(JRust @ Sep 1 2013, 08:32 AM) *

+1
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 1 2013, 08:43 AM) *

+1

We'll see. This is a 914 website after all. Offending a bunch of 914 wankers has never bothered me much.....but I'm gettin' old & tired. confused24.gif
reharvey
smilie_pokal.gif Nice buy! I bought a new 69 Mach I after returning from Nam. Just LOVED that car! Ray
KELTY360
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 1 2013, 09:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 1 2013, 08:43 AM) *

+1

We'll see. This is a 914 website after all. Offending a bunch of 914 wankers has never bothered me much.....but I'm gettin' old & tired. confused24.gif

Nah, a '66 2+2 Mustang build crosses a lot of lines and generations. Just label it OT so the wankers can avert their eyes.

+2
cary
Nice ......................
We knew you wouldn't stand on the sideline too long.
DBCooper

But see, there's the reason right there, upsetting wankers is FUN, and you know that's true.
DBCooper

But see, there's the reason right there, upsetting wankers is FUN, and you know that's true.
Randal
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 1 2013, 12:38 PM) *

Did you have to say it twice! :'(
drgchapman
I like it!
You might want to borrow my Millermatic, 120 volt mig?
J P Stein
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Sep 1 2013, 07:51 PM) *

I like it!
You might want to borrow my Millermatic, 120 volt mig?

Thanks for the offer, Gary, but I really need to go buy one.....now, if ya wanna sell it to me, I'll loan it to you when ya need it. biggrin.gif

Cary (of the Cary & Gary show?), I'm lucky to be standing anywhere. blink.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(cary @ Sep 1 2013, 12:19 PM) *

Nice ......................
We knew you wouldn't stand on the sideline too long.

Name Change to "Pony Boy"

Nice Mustang..Have Fun.. beerchug.gif
get off my lawn
WTF.gif
Doan look like no 427 cobra to me.
Aint even yello.

Who are you and how did you get JPs password?
J P Stein
Sammy, Sammy, Sammy,,,,,I thougt I learnt you how to speel....
r_towle
Now, get rid of that damn 914 metal sign and get yourself some American garage art......

So, did you get the car yet?
I , for one, would like to see you do a classic test and burn some of those back tires off while you decide what to do to the car..... smile.gif

Did you sell off your welder???
Get the best you can afford if you plan to seem weld it all again....geez.
Black22
drooley.gif drooley.gif aktion035.gif

I've got a 66 coupe with a modified 302...next will be a fastback like yours and then a convertible, for a 1966 Ford Mustang trifecta!
J P Stein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2013, 04:57 AM) *

Now, get rid of that damn 914 metal sign and get yourself some American garage art......

So, did you get the car yet?
I , for one, would like to see you do a classic test and burn some of those back tires off while you decide what to do to the car..... smile.gif

Did you sell off your welder???
Get the best you can afford if you plan to seem weld it all again....geez.

I WILL get that cutout to ya.

I'm set to pick up the Mustang today. I need some butt time in it and to crawl underneath it before I commit to anything. It's a near 50 year old car & tho it looks nice.......
No seam welding but I well may need a welder to fix/mod it so that is worth looking into. I'll see if CL can come thru again.
J P Stein
Not an auspicious start for the Mustang's arrival at its new home.

The car ran out of gas in my driveway as we rolled down to the street for a test run.!!!
The shifter was like stirring a bowl of oatmeal...now that is familiar. biggrin.gif
I stalled the sumbitch with a 3rd gear start then no fire in the motor.......the accelerator pump in the unidentifiable carb needed to be floored to squirt........grrrrrrrr
The first hard brake application pulled HARD to the left.
The clutch pedal goes over-center for a take up that makes it impossible to be smooth.
The huge steering wheel is over boosted (power steering) and bout 10 turns lock to lock.
The pedal/seat/wheel relationship is non-user-friendly.
I finally got it home ......cussin' under my breath and a storm blew in with rain. wind and all that shit........AUGGH.
That gave me some time to look at the extra new parts from the box......including a set of gas charged KYB shocks... hitfan[1].gif....just take me now, Lord.
New belts/hoses/alternator/PS pump/battery/radiator....the guy was trying.

I just turned of the lights in the garage & went to bed. Seduced by a pretty face, I sez to meself.....

The good news:

The brakes cleaned themselves up with use. The PO drove the car maybe 200 miles in his 18 months of ownership (I could see why) and was working on it.

The first thing it NEEDS is a new carb......a Holley 4150...Baxter's here I come.
The POS on there has no markings or adjustments.......some kind smog rig from the 70s, me thinks.....but the motor sounds good & oil pressure is OK.
A clutch adjustment.
A small steering wheel.

These will make the SOB drivable.
The weather is gonna be nice in a day or two.
I'm sure my attitude will improve.
Right now, I'm so far down everything looks up to me. huh.gif
bulitt
Street avenger
J P Stein
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 6 2013, 05:34 AM) *

Street avenger

Too big.

Now lookin' at the 600 cfm 4160 which is also too big, but......that's as small as Holley offers. I knew from Holleys 40 years ago. dry.gif
I also knew from too much carb.......
Prolly have to re-learn everything to do with V8s. confused24.gif

BTW, Rich, got the sign off the shop and it's ready to go (not too worse for wear after hanging there for 10-12 years.) soon as I wrap it with cardboard. Gimme an address and I'll ship next week.
nomore9one4
JP.. I believe I have a Holley 4150 if you are interested and you can wait a week until I get home. It was on the 69 Camaro I just bought off my brother. He bought it a few years ago and it never left the garage. $200 obo if your interested. I have the original box and all the paperwork aswell. I am not using it because I bought a 79 z28 to pull the 350 and replace the 305. if interested let me know and ill get you photos. Bob
bulitt
The avenger is a 4150 platform, electric choke. They offer it in 570, 670,770.
Holley sells refurbished ones on Ebay.
Here is a 570 for 229$

570cfm
r_towle
Its a cool car, and once you are done, it will be even better.

Take your time and enjoy the ride....
Remember, we do this for fun....the car thing.

Brakes, and clutch are simple.
Steering, I suspect you are not the first person that wanted to change the ratio...use google.
Carb...most likely the 200 miles and bad fuel clogged it up.
Take it off and take it apart...you have nothing else to do....
Worst thing is you buy a carb....

Shifting.....really, you can complain about shifting?
It has almost no linkage...must be a simple thing.

Oh, get a damn lift....you are not getting any younger and a lift would make everything seem rosey....it did for me.

rich
J P Stein
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 6 2013, 02:00 PM) *

Here is a 570 for 229$

570cfm

OOPS. I wasn't aware of that......but good to know. Already got the 4160.
Just call me quick draw. blink.gif

Rich:
The old carb is a POS with no adjustments and don't work worth spit. It's unidentifiable.....no markings on the body or any tabs.....makes it hard to find a rebuild kit. Round file material.

I'll get the sign going.
r_towle
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 6 2013, 06:54 PM) *

QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 6 2013, 02:00 PM) *

Here is a 570 for 229$

570cfm

OOPS. I wasn't aware of that......but good to know. Already got the 4160.
Just call me quick draw. blink.gif

Rich:
The old carb is a POS with no adjustments and don't work worth spit. It's unidentifiable.....no markings on the body or any tabs.....makes it hard to find a rebuild kit. Round file material.

I'll get the sign going.

Dis would make you feel at home...at it would look great.
J P Stein
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 6 2013, 03:57 PM) *

Dis would make you feel at home...at it would look great.

There is so much "stuff" I want to do to this car that a pack of Webers isn't on the list......kinda like looking at a stock 914 with a unacceptable driving position thrown in as a bonus.

The 4160 is installed but I haven't lit it off yet. The points were maladjusted and I went off & left the door open overnight.....a flat battery is result. It's was still pullin' 5 amps after 6 hours on the charger when I pulled it off for over night.

Pertronics & an MSD set-up have been added to an ever growing list. Gotta make it driver friendly before winter rears its ugly head.
J P Stein
I NEED 914 OUTSIDE MIRRORS. L&R.
The Mustang stockers and those listed FS in Mustang circles are pathetic.
I figure the 914 jobbies are decent, will fit, and won't look too out-of-place......I WANT NICE ONES.
I may have found a spot for all them 914 side mirrors ya'll got laying around in boxes. I want the base gaskets also.
I have a listing in the classifieds WTB section.
get off my lawn
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 6 2013, 04:50 AM) *

Not an auspicious start for the Mustang's arrival at its new home.

The car ran out of gas in my driveway as we rolled down to the street for a test run.!!!
The shifter was like stirring a bowl of oatmeal...now that is familiar. biggrin.gif
I stalled the sumbitch with a 3rd gear start then no fire in the motor.......the accelerator pump in the unidentifiable carb needed to be floored to squirt........grrrrrrrr
The first hard brake application pulled HARD to the left.
The clutch pedal goes over-center for a take up that makes it impossible to be smooth.
The huge steering wheel is over boosted (power steering) and bout 10 turns lock to lock.
The pedal/seat/wheel relationship is non-user-friendly.
I finally got it home ......cussin' under my breath and a storm blew in with rain. wind and all that shit........AUGGH.
That gave me some time to look at the extra new parts from the box......including a set of gas charged KYB shocks... hitfan[1].gif....just take me now, Lord.
New belts/hoses/alternator/PS pump/battery/radiator....the guy was trying.

I just turned of the lights in the garage & went to bed. Seduced by a pretty face, I sez to meself.....

The good news:

The brakes cleaned themselves up with use. The PO drove the car maybe 200 miles in his 18 months of ownership (I could see why) and was working on it.

The first thing it NEEDS is a new carb......a Holley 4150...Baxter's here I come.
The POS on there has no markings or adjustments.......some kind smog rig from the 70s, me thinks.....but the motor sounds good & oil pressure is OK.
A clutch adjustment.
A small steering wheel.

These will make the SOB drivable.
The weather is gonna be nice in a day or two.
I'm sure my attitude will improve.
Right now, I'm so far down everything looks up to me. huh.gif

A turbo would make all those problems go away.
I think.
boxstr
The new Ford coyote crate motor will fit nice once you cut out the shock towers.
Craig at CAMP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.