Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2056 initial start up/ oil leak slow pressure
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jmargush
So I finally got the engine in the car and started it.

First specs on motor:
2056cc
Raby 9590 cam and valve train kit
26mm oil pump clearanced

broke the cam in for 20 minutes, changed oil

new oil now the issues are:

won't idle, which I know could be a number of things (don't see any vacuum leaks and oil cap seal is new along with intake runner couplers and injector seals

Bad oil leak somewhere on front of the engine initial looks seems to point to oil pump/cover

worst thing is it takes a little longer to develop oil pressure(or at least turn the light off) that I feel it should (several seconds and getting rpms up which isrequires blipping the throttle since it doesn't idle)

Any suggestions on where to start particularly with the oil leak and slow pressure build?

stugray
when you installed the piston in the pressure relief bore, did you check for the dreaded "ridge" in the bore?

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...l=oil++pressure

Stu
jmargush
Idle is working now, Timing was off so got that dialed in. Oil pressure seems to come up quicker now but I am gonna keep an eye on it.

I don't recall there being any ridge in the bore.

It looks like the oil is coming form the pump/cover. I wiped it off and ran it again and the oil is back. Can't see any oil above so kind of taking FMS off the list.

Not looking forward to dropping the whole thing again and pulling the fan housing off.
stugray
I don't recall there being any ridge in the bore.

If you didnt check for it, you wouldnt know.
If you stick your finger in the bore about as far as you can reach, you might find the ridge.
If you have fat fingers, you couldnt get your finger in far enough.

Worn's thread shows a picture if I remember correctly.
However, that link does nto appear to work....

Try this one
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=210207

Stu
jmargush
Just went out and started it again, Oil pressure light still stays on for a few seconds on start up.

I guess if I pull it back out to fix the leak by the pump I will check the relief piston bore.

But in that thread wasn't he saying he lost pressure after warm up?
Jesco Reient
Hey! Congratulations! I just built a 2056, with the same cam and did the break-in last week. Now we are installing it into the car.

I hope you enjoy your new engine.
jmargush
Been thinking and researching the slow oil pressure build on start up.

With going with a 26mm oil pump would that delay the pressure build at all?

Also I used a MANN filter don't know if that has a anti-drain back valve or not and if it didn't would that delay pressure build?

Still studying the oil diagram, does the oil pressure relief piston have any bearing on keeping oil in the system so pressure comes on quick at start up?
type47
QUOTE(jmargush @ Sep 1 2013, 04:59 AM) *

... does the oil pressure relief piston have any bearing on keeping oil in the system so pressure comes on quick at start up?

are you asking about the little ball and spring in the intermediate flange/oil filter mount thingy? If so, it is my understanding that the ball and spring is a relief if the oil filter gets clogged so I think the answer to your question is no.
jmargush
From what I've read some oil filters have an anti-drain back, that is what I was referring to. but I see what you are saying I imagine that takes the place of it or duplicates if the filter has one.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.