Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update: Almost finished..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
'73-914kid
I feel like I'm asking stupid questions here, but I am in need of advice for making spot paint repairs on the 914.. If I could afford to have the whole car painted, I would, but this is where I'm at, to stop and fix rust bubbles and major paint cracks.

This is what I'm dealing with:
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

My plan was to go down to aplace in San Diego that can make color matched paint (I have not idea what this yellow is) and have 3 or 4 aerosol cans of yellow made up, and attempt to feather and blend these areas in...

Anyone have advice or things I should be careful of before I go about attempting this?

Thanks, Ethan
'73-914kid
And just for reference, the car was originally black, and they sprayed primer over the black, and then yellow on top of the primer, so theres plenty of material to feather on top of, and the yellow/grey primer was layed on THICK.
76-914
Ethan, go to an auto paint store. They can match it. single stage is cheap at Tractor Supply if you want a complete budget respray. A John Deere color perhaps. biggrin.gif Aerosol paint isn't very durable sad.gif Maybe some strategically placed decals would help. popcorn[1].gif
'73-914kid
Click to view attachment
Well, I caved.. too much rust underneath the paint, and when i went to remove the rubber seal around the windshield, it practically removed itself.. so out comes the glass to fix the rust..

And here's the kicker, the car is heading off to Maaco of oceanside tomorrow morning pretty much as a bare car. They have done some seriously nice work on a bunch of cars Ive seen come through the franchise. I'll take a bunch of pictures as it goes, cause i'm anal retentive like that, but you get the picture.

Now, on a more serious note... I need advise on color combo.. my original plan was signal orange, the alaska blue metalic, and my girlfriend wants it to stay yellow with black trunk lids..

What does the brain trust think?
porschefile2010
While you have the chance put her back to the original black.
reharvey
Back to black------------it's the way to go!
76-914
What color? The same color your girlfriend likes if you ever want to enjoy it. happy11.gif
'73-914kid
If it was any color other than black, I would put it back to original, but for the amount of driving I do in California heat, black just isnt an option..

I'm leaning toward signal orange, mclaren orange, adriatic blue, or gaurds red....someone steer me in a good direction...Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
It's always going to be easier to spray it the last color that it was. Any areas where old paint still exists stand out less then as well. Plus, you've pretty much become known for that car looking the way it does, so my vote is to keep it yellow! beerchug.gif
CptTripps
Not a big fan of changing paint colors...any more than changing a boat's name.

Since you've got a hodge-podge of "used to be" colors already, why not throw the adriatic blue into the mix! I always liked that one.

The Oranges are cool...but nothing rhymes with Orange. thumb3d.gif
Kaduku
Keep it yellow, looks great with those minilites!
iamchappy
Signal Yellow is way cool...
dfelz
I kind of agree with your gf, and some of the others... yellow is awesome!

but change is also good too... I always LOVED the Adriatic Blue, but i love blue cars! Dont do red, though if i had to pick one for you to NOT choose. I dont think you/your car would look good in red... IMHO

Thats really exciting your getting a new paint job though, i am very jealous... you getting a good deal on it????
sean_v8_914
adriatic
'73-914kid
Click to view attachment

This is all I'm gonna post tonight..a color has been decided upon..

And yes, My girlfriend approves of this one
messix
dog turd brown?????? shades.gif
'73-914kid
Burgundy redClick to view attachment
hot_shoe914
If you are going that dark, may as well go back to black! poke.gif

Besides, why are you listening to your girl friend? The car will be with you long after she is gone. Just saying.........
zambezi
Looks similar to Arena Red that was on my 996. I loved that color. I bought my 996 just for that color alone. Great car wish I still had it some times, it was beautiful.
Click to view attachment
green914
agree.gif go to original black.
76-914
You may want to take a stroll thru the mall parking lot and touch the different colors. Shoe is right about it being as hot as black, almost. Silver, yellow aren't that hot.
'73-914kid
QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Sep 3 2013, 04:17 AM) *

If you are going that dark, may as well go back to black! poke.gif

Besides, why are you listening to your girl friend? The car will be with you long after she is gone. Just saying.........

We've been together for almost 5 years now.. She's not going anywhere...haha

I'm really not a fan of black on a 914.. But I guess I never really thought about the kind of heat that burguny would absorb as well..

Time for another color re-hash I suppose..My problem is that I want the color to be somewhat unique.. no resale red, and signal orange is kind of becoming the quick resale color in the 911 world.

I don't want it metallic, just because the car gets driven so much that the risk of having to fix paint chips at a later date with a single stage metallic paint makes me nervous.. Ossi Blue, glacier blue, albert blue, or gemini Blue (in non metallic form)

I think I'm leaning towards the blues...
shuie
I cast my vote for Sepia Brown.
raw1298
I have a burgundy HHR. Hot like black. Have you gotten a quote on the paint yet?
'73-914kid
Yup, becasue it's a maaco and they largely buy the paint in bulk, and I have an "in" with the franchise owner, the price of the paint is pretty much a flat cost, no matter what color it is..
raw1298
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Sep 3 2013, 08:35 AM) *

Yup, becasue it's a maaco and they largely buy the paint in bulk, and I have an "in" with the franchise owner, the price of the paint is pretty much a flat cost, no matter what color it is..

There is one in Sac that does great work. I never see newer cars there, always classics and muscle cars. I had a friend do his 356 there.
7TPorsh
i say Black, original...somewhat rare? Otherwise Signal Orange
veltror
so let me see either change the colour or change the girlfriend.... hmm, I would go with Audi samoa orange metallic
'73-914kid
Update!

The car comes home tomorrow morning, was planning on picking it up this evening, but figured it would be better to load up the car in the morning when I could see what I was doing... Anyways, here are the pictures.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Can't wait to start assembling everything!
Kraftwerk
That blue looks great
westtexass2k
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Sep 18 2013, 07:04 PM) *

Update!

The car comes home tomorrow morning, was planning on picking it up this evening, but figured it would be better to load up the car in the morning when I could see what I was doing... Anyways, here are the pictures.

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Can't wait to start assembling everything!

Good color choice. Very visible in traffic and looks great on the 914. That a pretty nice paint job from Macco. They dont have a great retputation in Texas.
76-914
Looks super Ethan thumb3d.gif
bcheney
That really looks great! The color is stunning! Did you do the prep work and they sprayed it or did you just strip the trim and such off the car and they handled the rest? If you don't mind me asking.....what was the cost?
ben*james
Macco is underrated. They did a fine job, unless you are looking to live up to the brethren standard. Looks awesome, congratulations!
'73-914kid
QUOTE(bcheney @ Sep 18 2013, 08:35 PM) *

That really looks great! The color is stunning! Did you do the prep work and they sprayed it or did you just strip the trim and such off the car and they handled the rest? If you don't mind me asking.....what was the cost?

I stripped Everything off of the car, and took it to them. They had to strip everyhthing off of the rear fenders because of the shoddy job done before when they were pulled and welded. They blocked the car and did everything else.

Total is $1840 out the door.. All of the money I made working over summer is going in to it..

I must say, I'm still kind of trying to come to the realization that's it's my car. I'ts been yellow forever as far as I'm concerned, and I see if and drive it every day. I'm 100% pleased with how this all went, and I'm really glad it's not yellow anymore.. And shiny paint..? what is that..? the yellow never was shiny, so this is a wonderful treat.
effutuo101
Love the color! Looking forward to seeing it.
Coming down to San Diego for the Coronado historic this weekend?
'73-914kid
QUOTE(effutuo101 @ Sep 18 2013, 09:05 PM) *

Love the color! Looking forward to seeing it.
Coming down to San Diego for the Coronado historic this weekend?

It depends how much I can get done. I'm supposed to be helping out with the Wayne Baker IMSA GTU 914, but I have a very tight deadline to get the car on the road..so I can make it back to school.. we'll see, maybe I'll drive it down Sunday. haha
Andyrew
I always tell people asking me to do a cheap paint job for them to go to mayco.

Looks good!
AZ914
Excellent choice!
eric9144
Looks awesome Ethan! beerchug.gif
Sleepin
That looks great! Congratulations! I know you must be stoked to get her back! What color blue is that? It almost looks like the Audi blue on the S4s.
'73-914kid
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. It's the closest blue I could find to adriatic blue out of the code book... Every code I found in dupont for adriatic blue came up as nothing...
rick 918-S
Like the color.
bulitt
smilie_pokal.gif How many days did they have it?
Love the wheels mini/pana's
ConeDodger
drooley.gif smilie_pokal.gif first.gif aktion035.gif
76-914
poke.gif You need to update your avatar.
jbyron
Looks great, Ethan. LOVE that shade of blue. What's the Dupont code for that?
'73-914kid
Click to view attachment
This is just a quick update...I'll update progress with a picture every hour. Fingers crossed everything foes well!
Sleepin
drooley.gif
'73-914kid
IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.