Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear swaybar vs rear coil overs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Is there a consensus on weather rear adjustable coil overs or rear sway bars are better? Also does anyone have the dimensions of the rear sway bar mounting bracket so I can make one?

Thanks

David
cwpeden
Technically all our cars have rear coil-overs. Its the spring you choose and vehicle application that will determine your choice.

I have Koni Sport shocks with #200 springs and run without a sway bar(just disconnected one end). With my stock springs and #120 springs, definitely use a sway bar.

I'm sure you'll get a few more scientific answers.
914forme
Some people like rear bars, but if you auto-x or race, you might find that you will loose traction in corners because the bar is lifting the rear tire. You can also do thie woth tub twist also.

Solution, run a LSD, but it has to be a non torque biasing type. ZF comes to mind, as thats what I ran. And it worked. But then I have a special need for a softer suspension and use bars to add some cornering balance. Where we auto-x, it is not a flat surface, stiffer springs gave me issues.

Start with springs. Thats the simple answer.
Harpo
Thanks for everyone's input. Sorry I was not very clear I'm considering adjustable coil overs for the rear. Somewhere I thought that I read about them being a potential sub for rear sway bars.

Thanks

David
Trekkor
200# rear springs, rear bar connected~

Big front bar, stock front torsion bars.
Koni sport yellows.
No issues~

KT
Rand
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 2 2013, 07:33 AM) *

Is there a consensus on weather rear adjustable coil overs or rear sway bars are better? Also does anyone have the dimensions of the rear sway bar mounting bracket so I can make one?

Thanks

David

It's pretty much a unanimous consensus around here that rear sway bars are mostly useless on these cars.

If you have a completely unique setup, perhaps you can share the details of that before you get the big red X on the idea.
brant
The rear sway is wonderful on a street car. Can be great on a racecar and require a the differential on an autox car.

So it depends on your intended purpose and use.
r_towle
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 2 2013, 04:53 PM) *

The rear sway is wonderful on a street car. Can be great on a racecar and require a the differential on an autox car.

So it depends on your intended purpose and use.

agree.gif

Well said, cannot add anything.
cwpeden
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 2 2013, 11:48 AM) *

Thanks for everyone's input. Sorry I was not very clear I'm considering adjustable coil overs for the rear. Somewhere I thought that I read about them being a potential sub for rear sway bars.

Thanks

David

If you get adjustable perches you will still have too choose spring rate based on application. Adjustable only means ride height.
naro914
I have tried and tried to use a rear sway and just can't do it. Had it on Papa Smurf, the race car forever...until I took it off and had WAY better grip. Got Guards LSD and thought I should put it on. almost wrecked the car because I had no control, took it off...much better. But then again, I have 450# springs on back, full coil overs around with 500# on front.

Moved it to Huey, the Targa Newfoundland car for Autocrossing. Terrible understeer (200# springs big TB front) Disconnected and ended up with FTD.

Took it off, sold it. No more rear sway for me. Front 22mm Weltmeister sway on both cars...
brant
delete
naro914
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 2 2013, 08:43 PM) *

Any chance you could of had your bar inverted? Look for contact scratches and bending in the rear trunk

Um, no.
brant
delete
naro914

It was a Weltmeister rear sway with adjustable drop links. All were installed correctly, no rubbing. But...still didn't work for me. maybe because I have such stiff springs? I get very little body roll as it is.
Steve
It seams like most racers don't use a rear sway bar. I have one on my street car. There is a weird corner where I live in Laguna Niguel. Its a right corner with a slight hill and then a dip around the corner. Without the rear sway bar, the car lifts up in the rear and spins out. With the bar, the rear cannot lift up and the car corners awesome. However now that I have a limited slip, I want to try the corner again without the rear sway bar. Autocross and track I think the car is more predictable without a rear sway bar.
ThePaintedMan
A little touchy aren't we? I think Brant was just trying to point out a simple and probably common error. confused24.gif

You do have a couple of nice cars, but it's easy to install things backwards. Looking forward to more videos... beerchug.gif
Topper Chasse an top notch -6 owner ( POC racer of yesteryear ...RIP ) just ran high spring rates. He was using 2-400 lbs springs when everyone was using 100-250 -smile.gif.
When I inquire of this question, his response was leave it off. His -6 had some thing like 30k miles of all track use. In the day, his -6 ran circles around everyone.
I've taken his advice and run similar spring rates along with a big front bar with a 80% ZF. This is one persons experience, others may experience some thing else.
brant
delete
naro914
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 2 2013, 10:55 PM) *

A little touchy aren't we? I think Brant was just trying to point out a simple and probably common error. confused24.gif

You do have a couple of nice cars, but it's easy to install things backwards. Looking forward to more videos... beerchug.gif

Yeah, that's why I didn't actually post it, I know we all have done some bonehead things...I certainly have....ok, so I kinda did post it after the fact but didn't originally because I didn't mean anything negative toward Brant.

Clear as mud?

All is good!! drunk.gif
naro914
QUOTE(brant @ Sep 2 2013, 11:03 PM) *

I have a few smart ass replies but don't feel like adding them. Your experience does nothing to impress me. And your cars have room for improvement also.

Sorry Brant, never meant to offend you and was not trying to 'impress' you. That's why I didn't say anything in my first reply. Obviously you took it wrong...

I'm sure my cars could use improvement and would love to hear your suggestions, but they work for me the way they are. That was my point. Nothing installed wrong, just my preference with regard to swaybars...

beerchug.gif
pcar916
Penelope is setup as follows:

Rear Suspension:
- Koni gas adjustable Sport shocks
- 200# adjustable coil-over's
- 2 degrees negative camber both sides
- No rear anti-sway bar. I suffer from terminal understeer on an AX course but the track and highway are both excellent so I don’t mess with it. To seriously AX I’d have to change a lot including swapping out the LSD box with a TBD box and different gears. This along with different spring rates mean I probably won’t ever do that… could build another car for that sort of thing.
- Elephant PolyBronze bushings
- 9x16 wheels w/245-45/16 tires

Front Suspension:
- 1979 911-Turbo Bilstein Sport struts
- 23mm torsion bars (I figured out the spring-rate once years ago but don’t remember the outcome… seems like it was >350#’s)
- 22mm anti-sway bar (Tarrett)
- Elephant Racing PolyBronze swing-arm bushings
- 2 degrees negative camber both sides
- 8 x 16 wheels w/ 225-50/16 tires

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(naro914 @ Sep 2 2013, 11:08 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Sep 2 2013, 11:03 PM) *

I have a few smart ass replies but don't feel like adding them. Your experience does nothing to impress me. And your cars have room for improvement also.

Sorry Brant, never meant to offend you and was not trying to 'impress' you. That's why I didn't say anything in my first reply. Obviously you took it wrong...

I'm sure my cars could use improvement and would love to hear your suggestions, but they work for me the way they are. That was my point. Nothing installed wrong, just my preference with regard to swaybars...

beerchug.gif

I believe you should move the motor from papa smurf to huey, and build a 4 cylinder for papa smurf, class your car down with the 4 cylinder cars and see what happens when you learn to use a real motor smile.gif

And please, put the rear sway bar back on....and get 1000 front springs smile.gif

rich
r_towle
BTW,

Anytime you want suggestions, I am here for you buddy smile.gif
beerchug.gif
[/quote]
I believe you should move the motor from papa smurf to huey, and build a 4 cylinder for papa smurf, class your car down with the 4 cylinder cars and see what happens when you learn to use a real motor smile.gif

rich
[/quote]

Ya nothing like going backwards beerchug.gif And then count to 20 before we reach 100mph.. No thanks -smile.gif
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 3 2013, 11:06 AM) *

BTW,

Anytime you want suggestions, I am here for you buddy smile.gif

lol-2.gif av-943.gif

FYI, we ran Papa (in stock body form) with a 2.0 then 2.4 4 cyl for 7 years then an additional 3 years with the widebody kit....and ran great until the stress was too much for it. Then ran 2.0 then 2.2/6 until going to the 3.4 (now 3.2)/6
Woody
21mm T bars, 22mm swaybar, 911 T struts, rear coil overs with 250# springs, no rear bar.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.