Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spilled a bit of gasoline in my engine compartment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisReale
I was testing fuel pressure, and the line was leaking. I cleaned up most of it, and ran a fan on the remaining surface film on my tin. Is there any way to be sure I dont cause a fire? I wont drive it until saturday morning, so anything until then that I can do I will.
Qarl
Unless it's really cold and really humid, it'll be gone by then.

You could always light a match and burn off any fumes... err... ummm... on second thought

hanged.gif
GWN7
Sell it....It's ruined biggrin.gif

Saturday...it should be drivable in a couple hours. unless you spilt a couple gallons of gas.

mueba.gif
ChrisReale
No, more like a few ounces. I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the reassurance driving.gif
Qarl
I remember once on a camping trip, years ago, it was raining like a mother. We had hiked like 10 miles through the Ocala National Forest. We got to the campsite and everything was soaked. We were freezing.

We build a fire with some wet wood and poured some white gas (Coleman Fuel) over the wood. Unfortunately, we couldn't get our lighter to work. After about 5 minutes of fiddling we fixed it and tried to light the fire.

BOOOM! The wood blew out of the hole and scared the crap out of us. Apparently, the white gas tried to evaporate, but the air pressure, dampness and humidity kept the fumes in the firepit. When we lit the fire, we were very surprised.

2nd part of the story.... After the fire had been going for about 30 minutes, we kept noticing big bugs whizzing by. Zoom. Zoom. Zip....

But they weren't bugs. We soon realized that we had lined the pit with some limestone rocks and that the water and air in some of the air pockets in the rocks was causing them to explode. We had pieces of rock whizzing by our faces and heads. A couple of us got hit before it all boiled off.

Ohhh... the good ole' days of camping, drinking, and causing mischief in the woods!

I'll save my F-14 expendable fuel tank story for another day!
Aaron Cox
mischief in the woods.....

what kind of camping trip were you on? biggrin.gif
Qarl
These were my"Unofficial" Boy Scout camping trips.

All my friends, we were all 16 and 17, and we were in Scouting together. We were all the same age, no younger guys in the troops. We would all go camping together. Usually beer, guns, and fireworks were involved. One guy had a Jeep so we'd go mudding in the summer time (at night).

We had a few older friends who would bring the beer. We'd basically go camping, eat well (steaks and such), have bottle-rocket wars in the middle of the woods, and rearrange traffic signs on the neighboring country roads.

It's amazing how many people would stop at a stop sign dead smack in the middle of a 2-lane road with no intersection nearby for about 500 yards. (We switched a stop sign with a deer-crossing sign). Oops!

Stupid things we did when I was young. It was fun.
rhodyguy
open the garage door. use zippo to detect remaining fuel fumes. ohmy.gif wink.gif

kevin
SirAndy
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ May 22 2003, 07:16 PM)
I was testing fuel pressure, and the line was leaking.  I cleaned up most of it, and ran a fan on the remaining surface film on my tin.  Is there any way to be sure I dont cause a fire?  I wont drive it until saturday morning, so anything until then that I can do I will.

a few ounces is no problem. as long as there's no fuel leak, it'll dry off in less than an hour ...

Andy

ps.: we used to light up the fumes on the gas tank vent-hose on our dirt-bikes. you know, you blow in air through the vent-hose, then put a lighter to the end of the hose. looks really cool at night rolleyes.gif
ahhh, i miss those crazy years ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.