Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear View Mirror Fell Off My 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BVCSURF
Hi Folks:

The mirror stem base has a small screw which I removed

but it doesn't detach , nor does the center of the base that

adheres to the window seem to have loosend up. Which part

dos the screw hold in ? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Bob C. (NYC.)
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif
I had the same problem,damn thing always falling off. Usually in a little cold weather,i tryed 4 different kinds of glue . Finally got one of those mirrows on Evil Bay that hangs from the center visor mount. Cleaned the glue off the windshield and never a futher problem. Vision is much better also, both to the rear and to the front.
Dave wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif
jim912928
On mine, the little screw tightens the mirror to the base/slotted thing that glues to the windshield. If I loosen the screw then I can remove the mirror from the windshield by sliding it up towards the roof. Yours might just be stuck/gunked on..give it some light taps towards the roof. Look first to make sure yours is a 2-piece mirror though (mirror and attachement plate that slides into a groove at the base of the mirror).
ws91420
It depends on if you have an OE mirror or aftermarket one. Can you post a pic. The OE base is about 1.5" x 1.5" and there is a small screw up the post to the base. Be careful not to strip the threads or the head of the screw.
scottb
or you can do what i did. buy an old bmw mirror and make your own center mount unit.

i bought an older 5 series mirror (if memory serves), dremeled off the mounting posts and center spring, used the visor center mount as a guide to create the new mounting holes and all done. took about an hour including a beer break.

now i did remove the visors since i am tall enough that all they did was get in the way so if you want the visors, then my solution won't work.

here is a link for the type of mirror i bought. it works great and if you are over 6 ft tall, then you don't need the visors anyway.

ebay beemer mirror
BVCSURF
Thanks for the help Guys:

This rear view is OE and the pyramid shaped

base finaly came loose from the stem with repeated light

tapping. I had thought there might be a base insert like the

newer mirrors and did not want to break the stem by mistake !

It's glued back on the windshield and hopefully

it'll stay there ! Thanks again,
Bob C. smilie_pokal.gif
skline
It wont stay, they never do. The factory did something special that has not been replicated since. I tried glueing mine in about 3 times and it fell off everytime. I finally got the factory pad and superglued it in.
markb
I got smart. Took the car to a windsheild place & had them glue it. It won't come off now, even if I want it too.
ws91420
Used rear view mirror adhesive from FLAPS. Trick is clean both areas well and put activator on both pieces. Use tape to hold base in place and wait at least 24 hrs before remounting mirror.
jim912928
I did the same as ws914. However I couldn't get mine to stick with the instructions that said put like 2-3 drops on it. I basically covered the rearview mirror side with the adhesive and it stuck like you wouldn't believe. I knew I had enough when pressed on the windshield I didn't see any dry spots on the glass from the other side.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.