Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best 195/55R15?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
The Pirelli P6000's on one of my cars has a date code of 2500. The tires look great; however, they are now 13 years old.

I found P6000's on tire tack... $184/tire, That's too much.

Michelin Pilot Sports are around $133/tire.

Bridgestones are similar in price to the Pirelli's.

I'm not a fan of Yokohama's (bad prior experiences) or way off brand tires.

Any recommendations?
hydroliftin
I had the same issue with old tires. I got Falkens because of their involvement in Porsche racing in ALMS. I like the tires. Not the ultimate performance tire, but a big improvement over any 13 year old tire. I have my 914 set up for touring on the open road. Sometimes I have to take some dirt roads or broken pavement, so I can't go with super low profile tires. The Falkens are a good tradeoff between performance and comfort.
billh1963
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Sep 2 2013, 07:57 PM) *

I had the same issue with old tires. I got Falkens because of their involvement in Porsche racing in ALMS. I like the tires. Not the ultimate performance tire, but a big improvement over any 13 year old tire. I have my 914 set up for touring on the open road. Sometimes I have to take some dirt roads or broken pavement, so I can't go with super low profile tires. The Falkens are a good tradeoff between performance and comfort.

Thanks, Peter. I'm a big Michelin fan but am open to other tire options.
I'm sort of in the same boat ....unfortunately I have a 10 year old car with 6 k miles on it. My buddy a master porsche tech, suggested that I get new tires - if I really want to drive it > 100 mph. I've asked my local Costco to see if they can call Michelin to send the most recent mfg tire. Reason is that life of tire is only good up to 7 years max. Ya I too will buy Michelin PSS for front and PS2 for the rear..
dcecc1968
Bill,
I just bought Falken ZE612's (195-60-15) for mine this weekend at Discount Tire because my previous tires were 7-yrs old and dry rotting. I have not driven them enough yet to know about handling, but the price was right @ $67/tire plus a $75 VIA card.

PS- I would not log too many miles on 13-yr old tires. IMO 6 or 7 yrs is maximum useful life for rubber.
-Don
billh1963
The Falken ZE-912's look interesting and have good reviews
green914
I am running Toyo Proxes R1R 195/55 R15s, they are a very nice high-performance street tire, and work well for autocross also.
nsr-jamie
I like my new Bridgestone Potenza RE11A tires, got a good deal and what a difference they made.
r_towle
cooper or mastercraft (same company) might have them.

I think they are the last US based operation too....

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.