Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Race/Track car COTM?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shawn914
The last two COTM, and previous competitions too, have featured 914 track/race cars. There have been a few suggestions to hold a COTM exclusive to race cars. This seems like a reasonable idea... Below are some draft entry criteria that could be considered for a Race Car COTM if there is support for the idea.

Racers, builders, 914World members - feedback/comments/suggestions? idea.gif

Propose to hold the "914 Race/Track COTM" once/year.
Propose to include first 6 nominated and seconded cars.

914 Race/Track COTM Entry Rules:
1. The 914 is not street legal.
2. The 914 has participated in at least one (1) event (event = any club or otherwise sanctioned race against other cars or the clock).
3. Engine/Body/Interior/Wheels/Tires: no limitations/definitions, anything goes

Created a yes/no poll for additional input from 914World members. Will run it for a couple weeks or so... type.gif

Sept 5th Update: Some good comments on this question of adding something new to Car Of The Month. Poll closed at 80% in favor of doing something for race cars. Change is good - let's give it a try and make it work!
SirAndy
I'd go for a race car only COTM every once in a while.

It seems they always lose out to the stock(ish) cars ...
popcorn[1].gif
bulitt
agree.gif

Tremendous work put in by some of these guys, and they are out there every weekend keeping the 914 in the limelight, and kicking some serious ass.
balljoint
There are lots of precedents for flexibility in the COTM. Give the Paddock a heads up and specify the requirement in your nomination thread. smile.gif
brant
maybe 2x annually?
Woody
Define street legal. Some of us have cars that are pretty much AX dedicated but still get driven on the street every couple of weeks.
J P Stein
I voted to leave it alone.....it's a tradition. The Paddock gets about 10% of the traffic on the site.. The racers hang out there which tells ya something.
Tradition also means that I seldom vote for the winning COTM.....I can live with that.
Sleepin
Why not do a theme each month? That way a couple themes a year could be race 914's.
URY914
Stock cars suck.
I say make COTM for race/track cars ONLY every month!
tscrihfield
I believe that in Porsche's opinion all Vehicles they have created have been race cars... confused24.gif

Even the cayenne
type47
need to allow licensure for the street for those who drive to the track or AX and don't have a trailer ... I have antique tags so no state safety or emissions insp and no tax.
r_towle
This is not an electoral college here....its a strict popular vote.

Get organized if you want the votes...

I voted sure, but in the end, if you want a car in the running...get it nominated.
If you cant come up with the nomination...why rig the contest to ensure you get more votes...

Organize, unionize, vote as many times as your computer will allow.

Rich
JoeSharp
Shawn: Thanks for taking this over. It is your show and I think you are doing a great job. So if you want to do race cars, go for it. Or any other kind of catagory of 914's you want. Just thanks for being here.
brant
M
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 3 2013, 05:38 PM) *

need to allow licensure for the street for those who drive to the track or AX and don't have a trailer ... I have antique tags so no state safety or emissions insp and no tax.

No offense intended to you or your car. But lisce ex cars opens the door for any car that has ever done a drivers Ed or parade laps. I would rather tighten it to unlicensed cars that Are trailered.
SirAndy
And that's why we can't have anything nice ... lol-2.gif

The guy is trying to throw you guys a bone and all you can do is bicker about useless details until everybody is so fed up with all the BS that we'll never ever run a race car only COTM.

You could have just embraced the idea and run with it, but noooooo, that would have been too easy.
slap.gif
brant
Way too easy. And I don't really care the out come. But I imagine every teener owner on the board considers himself a race car driver.

I have nearly a 100 wheel to wheel event weekends under my belt and probably another 100 drivers education weekends before i went wheel to wheel. Thus my perspective of what a race car is might be different, they aren't really the same activity
shawn914
I thought perhaps the definition of a race car could be hard to pin down. That's why I started with "not street legal" as a criteria; it is unambiguous with respect to race car eligibility for this particular contest. Also, based on what I've seen and read on this site, and as there is a dedicated racing forum (The Paddock), there are probably a good number of cars that are in fact dedicated race cars, to keep this special edition of the COTM running for a few years, and showcase great 914 race cars at the same time! I'm probably not alone in getting an edjumakashun from COTM contests - could also be true of an all out race car competition...
All 914World members who track their car and keep it street legal would of course remain eligible, and competitive for the other 5/6 COTM competitions per year.

One more thought, we could probably evolve the entry criteria if/as needed after one or two rounds...
Thanks for input so far - any more thoughts welcome. I will run the poll through Thursday.
Cheers,
Shawn type.gif
Elliot Cannon
I nominate Britain's yellow race car.
URY914
My car is "NON-street legal" by just a little bit. happy11.gif
Andyrew
I like the

1. Stock 4
2. Stock 6
3. Modded 6
3. Modded conversion
4. Track warrior
5. Street Machine
6. Work in progress
carr914
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Sep 3 2013, 07:45 PM) *

It is your show and I think you are doing a great job. So if you want to do race cars, go for it. Or any other kind of catagory of 914's you want.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Sep 3 2013, 08:00 PM) *

And that's why we can't have anything nice ... lol-2.gif

The guy is trying to throw you guys a bone and all you can do is bicker about useless details until everybody is so fed up with all the BS that we'll never ever run a race car only COTM.

You could have just embraced the idea and run with it, but noooooo, that would have been too easy.
slap.gif

Shawn, as always, I will help you with this and I'm thankful that you volunteered when I decided to step down. But this Thread is one of the reasons I gave it up - everyone has an opinion of how the COTM should be run, but only Rusty, Rick, you & myself have ever stepped up to do the dirty work.

If you want to do a Race Car COTM - do it, don't ask
If you want an A/X COTM -dida
If you want a LE COTM - dida
-6 COTM - dida
ETC

Because if you ask, there will be a Million opinions and the peeps that didn't get their wish get all bent out of shape.

I always just did a general COTM open to all 914s as it was easier. Now it is your's to run, do it anyway you want - you are doing a good job beerchug.gif
Randal

I'm always amazed at the effort people put into this site and events. Actually I've never been to a 914World event that wasn't well organized and fun and the same applies to all the web based activity on this site.

To all those that do the hard work a big THANKS. flag.gif

As to COTM how about just running COTM as usual, but have a sub class for RCOTM; maybe do it a couple times a year?

dlestep
I thought this was 914world, not 914sthatonlyaselectfewlike.
In every event that I have attended, there are separate classes. So, why not
entertain the thought of a COTM with 3 classes.
1. stock
2. modified
3. AX/track

1 and 3 seem to have fewer numbers and 2 seems to be the majority.
When having the COTM voting, announce the classes. Not all classes have to have monthly results.
This would allow EVERYONE a chance to be "noted" for their hard work, and provide
everyone in the 914world community with something to aspire to.
BKLA
QUOTE(shawn914 @ Sep 2 2013, 08:34 PM) *

2. The 914 has participated in at least one (1) event (event = any club or otherwise sanctioned race against other cars or the clock).

Created a yes/no poll for additional input from 914World members. Will run it for a couple weeks or so... type.gif

Item #2 would exclude my car as I only use it for track day events that are not timed. I have done an AX or two in the past, but I now keep it at the track (ease of use) and it wouldn't be involved in a timed event. sad.gif
Woody
QUOTE(BKLA @ Sep 4 2013, 12:21 PM) *

QUOTE(shawn914 @ Sep 2 2013, 08:34 PM) *

Item #2 would exclude my car as I only use it for track day events that are not timed. I have done an AX or two in the past, but I now keep it at the track (ease of use) and it wouldn't be involved in a timed event. sad.gif

Item #1 excludes my car.
jeff
What is COTM ?
Woody
Car of the month.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.