Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is it my starter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bob L.
So I've been driving.gif my 914 lately. It has been running well, as far as I can tell. I don't have anything to compare to except mine before the engine swap.

The main issue I'm having is the starter sometimes wont turn.

It has never been a problem before. The other day I tried to start it and no joy! I can hear the fuel pump working when the key is turned but no starter.

To test the starter, I removed the yellow wire from the terminal and jumped the (+)terminal to where the yellow wire was. It cranked!

I figure this means the starter is good. Re-attach the yellow wire and try it again.
Then it starts.

I have had to go through this a few times now. It happens when the engine is cold or hot. So I'm not thinking "hot start" issue.

It's pretty annoying to have to crawl under he car to jump the starter about half the time.

I'm now thinking there is a dead spot in the starter. Not convinced though.

I seek the wisdom of 914World (again). You got me this far. pray.gif

What say y'all?
zambezi
The electrical portion of the ignition switch is known to go bad in just the start position. The plastic of the switch cracks and flexes when turned to the start position. Sometimes it stretches more and won't allow the contacts to touch and you get a no start. Other times it may not flex much at all and it will start just fine.
SLITS
Stock starter? Ignition switch or solenoid on starter.
Steve Snyder
QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 3 2013, 01:17 AM) *

The electrical portion of the ignition switch is known to go bad in just the start position. The plastic of the switch cracks and flexes when turned to the start position. Sometimes it stretches more and won't allow the contacts to touch and you get a no start. Other times it may not flex much at all and it will start just fine.

agree.gif The most likely culprit is the ignition switch. It is a known problem.
Bob L.
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 3 2013, 07:23 AM) *

Yes, stock starter and solenoid.

Replaced ignition switch. I also have a button installed from before the switch was replaced.
So... I'm pretty sure it's not a switch issue.

P.S. I'm not starting the car by jumping the starter terminals, just getting the starter to turn a little bit. Then I can start it with the key/button.

Thanks.
SLITS
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Sep 3 2013, 07:21 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 3 2013, 07:23 AM) *

Yes, stock starter and solenoid.

Replaced ignition switch. I also have a button installed from before the switch was replaced.
So... I'm pretty sure it's not a switch issue.

P.S. I'm not starting the car by jumping the starter terminals, just getting the starter to turn a little bit. Then I can start it with the key/button.

Thanks.

It it's a Bosch, the units are rebuilt by an "approved" rebuilder in the US. Cheap Chinese solenoids can and will be used. Just an observation and from experience.
toolguy
run a temporary wire from the yellow on the starter into the cab with a lightbulb to ground as a test light. If it lights and doesn't crank, you have a starter issue. . No light, then look back to the ignition switch. .
Kirmizi
What condition are the spade connectors and crimps to the starter/solenoid wiring?
I experienced the same problems at Rt66 and it was a loose connector on the solenoid.
raw1298
QUOTE(Kirmizi @ Sep 3 2013, 08:41 AM) *

What condition are the spade connectors and crimps to the starter/solenoid wiring?
I experienced the same problems at Rt66 and it was a loose connector on the solenoid.

Same issue here, loose worn connector, replaced and no issue since.
worn
QUOTE(Bob L. @ Sep 2 2013, 07:36 PM) *

So I've been driving.gif my 914 lately. It has been running well, as far as I can tell. I don't have anything to compare to except mine before the engine swap.

The main issue I'm having is the starter sometimes wont turn.

I'm now thinking there is a dead spot in the starter. Not convinced though.

I seek the wisdom of 914World (again). You got me this far. pray.gif

What say y'all?

Well, its a long shot but last week I found that the washer between the battery ground strap and the body had disintegrated. Connection was tight, but very poorly functional. Founds it because I was at a cool hardware store and found a braided ground strap that looked better than what I had...totally luck.
Starter dead spots are known to happen too. The starter is actually easy to replace if you follow instructions.
lsintampa
If you remove the wire to jump it, then when you replace the wire and it starts, UH, I would suspect the wire you are messing with is the issue.

Maybe a bad connection or connector. Each time you wiggle it, it makes better contact.

Worth a look - easy fix.
turk22
I'll add to replace the $4 battery post connectors on both the Positive and Negative cables, when I replaced mine on the positive cable, the car fired right up.
(I had to cut about 1/2" of the cable that was all corroded, back to good copper as well).
Tom
Your connector is bad at the starter solenoid, the one on the yellow wire. Ignition switch is OK if the fuel pump is running when turned to start. See the relay board drawing, at pin 6 of the 12 pin connector there is a trace going from the pin to the ECU 4 pin connector. If that is getting power, is must be since the pump is running, then the yellow wire at the starter is also getting power. Replace that connector for the yellow wire at the solenoid and all should be good again.
Tom
Bob L.
Thank guys. beerchug.gif

Lots of good suggestions to try. I probably wont get to this till next week but I have a place to start.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.