Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Time to fix my brakes!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ripper911
Well, My brakes have been grinding and squealing and not stopping the car very well for quite some time now. The other day they pretty much stopped grinding and such, but the pedal travel increased and stopping power declined substantially.

So, this morning after fixing a fuel leak at one of the carbs and heading in to work I decided it's finally time to get the brakes fixed. I do drive the car every day and brakes are important. It is in the shop now.

I have the first round of pictures, all of you whiney babies that worry about little squeals and such had better be prepared to see what happens when you use up all of the available life of your parts. happy11.gif
bulitt
1) The backing plates become the pads blink.gif
2) When they are gone the pistons become the pads. chair.gif
Usually along the way they weld together.... shades.gif
ripper911
IPB Image

Seems like I'm having trouble posting more than one pic at a time from my phone...
ripper911
IPB Image

Those two are the right side.
zambezi
At least they seem to have worn evenly
gunny
Don't think you can turn those anymore biggrin.gif WTF.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(zambezi @ Sep 3 2013, 01:11 PM) *

At least they seem to have worn evenly

Not quite, here's the other side...

IPB Image
IPB Image
Woody
And how many weeks worth of warning time did you have before it got this bad? dry.gif

Brakes and steering are the most important parts on a car. Glad you didn't get in a wreck.
Jonathan Livesay
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 3 2013, 12:43 PM) *

And how many weeks worth of warning time did you have before it got this bad? dry.gif

I think that question is better expressed in months.
bulitt
It should buff out? No? confused24.gif
Nine_14
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 3 2013, 09:43 PM) *

Maybe music is allways to loud. biggrin.gif Driver didn't hear the car crying for HELP.
bandjoey
That's a big WOW!
Never seen rotors so bad. What does the caliper look like?
championgt1
QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Sep 3 2013, 12:46 PM) *

Or years. dry.gif
ripper911
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Sep 3 2013, 05:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Jonathan Livesay @ Sep 3 2013, 12:46 PM) *

Or years. dry.gif

More than a few months, less than a year. dry.gif

The good news is that the car is now fitted with a new (used) set of rotors, stock rear calipers, and 320i front calipers that I had for this occasion and is about ready to drive home.

Y'all should see the "pads" in the old calipers, I'll take pictures for your viewing pleasure.
ripper911
We can rest assured that I didn't waste my rotors by throwing them out before their time!
edwin
So how long before we see these lightweight floating race rotors on eBay from George?
ripper911
QUOTE(edwin @ Sep 3 2013, 05:57 PM) *

So how long before we see these lightweight floating race rotors on eBay from George?

Now that's a great idea! beerchug.gif

They are exceedingly rare.
r_towle
Seriously....where do you work?
Get the boys on that...you are part of the marketing of his business driving around a 914.....

RIch
Woody
QUOTE(edwin @ Sep 3 2013, 04:57 PM) *

Oh snap. unsure.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.