Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gauge cluster removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jfort
my winter project is to remove the gauge/instrument cluster, mail it to Palo Alto, and get it refurbished and working. I'd like to duplicate Qarl's. I can find ways to screw things up, so, learned group, what are the tricks? Surely, it doesn't simply slip out and let you disconnect everything. Disconnect from behind/underneath first? What will I screw up if I start this without knowing anything? Thanks, in advance, for any insight you can give me.
machina
each gauge just sits in the console with a rubber gasket. Gently rock any one of them until you can pull it out and then DC the plugs. They have alot of bulbs for illumination and warnings, etc so you might want to photograph and mark them now so its easier to reinstall.

Also, once the first one is out, push the others out from behind.
jim912928
Don't pull the speedo gauge out first as it has the speedo cable connected to it and depending on the slack..may or may not come out much. So, do the gauge to the right first...then you can reach in and unscrew the speedo cable. You can also just take out the little screws in the face plate (front and there are two on the bottom edge) and the entire faceplate can be just layed down on the steering column. Either way you won't screw anything up..unless you don't mark the wires correctly..then a real pain to hook it all back up.
dangrouche
1.Works easiest if you remove the steering wheel.
2. see beneath the dash and see the fat black speedo cable and push it upwards towards the gauge, this should give you some slack; remove the four phillips screws that tie the gauge cluster to the dash.
3. pull the cluster forward and push the tach from behind to separate the instrument from the panel; diagram every connnection (most important).
4. repeat for the left and right gauge (diagram)
jfort
you guys are great. thanks!
McMark
Replace all the bulbs while you're there. NAPA parts #LMP11009. Old bulbs dim over time. New bulbs will be nice and bright.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.