Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Call the Dr
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
Calling Dr Evil or any other expert. Don't ask me why because I just want to. How do you get 1st gear off of the splines on the input shaft? No room for pullers or very little room. Also I chipped a couple of teeth on the underside, so anyone got extras? blink.gif headbang.gif

I am sure there are better ways, and I don't know them.

wildman
Okay, first, we are talking about first gear correct? the one on the nose cone side of the intermediate plate that must be removed so the input shaft will come out of the intermediate plate bearing.

I remember my first gear coming off quite easily after I removed the nut. Second gear (the first gear in the main housing) is welded to the input shaft and cannot be removed even though it looks suspiciously like it can be.
r_towle
Go FInd Dr Evils signature.

He should have a link there that will document how to do this.

If not, search here for RedBeard or Red Beard.
He also had a pictoral.

Look also in the classic threads...might be there also.

This has been covered in great detail with color glossy photos with words and all.
Kinda like alices restaurant.

rich
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 3 2013, 03:06 PM) *

He also had a pictoral.

This has been covered in great detail with color glossy photos with words and all.

rich

I believe those were the 8 by 10 glossy photos. He leaves it be in the video and red beard whooshes right by. Still you are right. It has to be there.
mrbubblehead
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 3 2013, 05:39 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 3 2013, 03:06 PM) *

He also had a pictoral.

rich

I believe those were the 8 by 10 glossy photos. He leaves it be in the video and red beard whooshes right by. Still you are right. It has to be there.

try a little heat on the gear....
Dr Evil
I have a 1st gear for you. You will need all three pieces.

I press the gear off, BTW. It is the right way to do it if you can. If not, you have to put the nut on and knock it off without fucking up the threads.
worn
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Sep 3 2013, 09:32 PM) *

I have a 1st gear for you. You will need all three pieces.

I press the gear off, BTW. It is the right way to do it if you can. If not, you have to put the nut on and knock it off without fucking up the threads.

I ground down one of my pullers to get under it. Odd - simply splined on but in the 2 I have done quite a little force was needed. So you put the nut on, but how do you apply force to the gear? Longer shaft with second gear incorporated, right? Thanks.
Dr Evil
I have used lots of heat to the gear, put a spare castellated nut on upside down and make it flush with the shaft end, then beat it out. This can hurt your bearing, of course. This is why I bought a press.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.