Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A few underbelly pics of my LS1-powered car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mittelmotor
I had her up on a lift to change out the clutch, so I took some pics. Maybe they'll be useful for reference for someone doing a V-8 build.

partwerks
What are the limits on HP that the 914 trans can withstand?

I do have an intermediate plate, I think it is called, to beef it up.

It appears that a person can go back to using the stock shift rod using the LS engine, as opposed to the WRX that uses that snake like thing for a shift rod, and probably would be more direct to the point.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 18 2014, 08:18 AM) *

What are the limits on HP that the 914 trans can withstand?

Hp doesn't kill the tranny, Torque does. I ran a 500hp turbo rotary on a 901 without any problems.

Stupidity will also kill a 901. No burn outs or clutch dumping and the tranny will live for a long time. 1st gear is weak. It can twist off the shaft with too much torque. Most V8 conversions don't use 1st gear.
andys
Nice upskirt! Does than single exhaust tip fool anyone?

Andys
partwerks
1st gear on mine has been blocked off, and I don't do peel outs, or drop the clutch, but what is the magical figure for torque, if that is what destroys the trans?

messix
Porsche states 300 ftlbs
chads74
What kind of water pump are you running?
bulitt
He sold his car in April and hasn't logged in for a month. Pump looks like a Meziere,
Mr.242
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 18 2014, 05:31 PM) *

He sold his car in April and hasn't logged in for a month. Pump looks like a Meziere,

Did JRust buy it? lol-2.gif av-943.gif
Chris H.
Did anyone else figure out that Doug is Douglas Kott? The Road & Track guy who was such a 914 fan he wrote about it several times during his tenure at R&T? Not there any more, he left when they moved the office to Detroit. Great guy. He bought an airplane I think.
BIGKAT_83
Car is in Atlanta now. Gone to a serious 914 owner.

Bob
bulitt
Looks like Doug is in charge of communications for Hennessey performance.
Chris H.
Ugh....BOOOORRRIIIIING.. biggrin.gif Hope they don't make him DRIVE any of their modded vehicles.
chads74
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 18 2014, 05:31 PM) *

... Pump looks like a Meziere,

Never heard of it, google here it come.
bulitt
Here you go Chad....Water Pump Thread
bulitt
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 19 2014, 08:58 AM) *

Bob

Tony?
BIGKAT_83
Yep!
Randal
Simply beautiful work. dry.gif

Really like the set up for water, but thinking it would be way low for a race car.
carr914
QUOTE(bulitt @ May 21 2014, 04:08 PM) *

QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ May 19 2014, 08:58 AM) *

Bob

Tony?

At least Dr Douche didn't get it!
Justinp71
drooley.gif ... Nice!

Are the 901 trans always pushed back like that in a v8 conversion? or is that because its an LS1?
oldschool
QUOTE(Chris H. @ May 19 2014, 05:44 AM) *

Did anyone else figure out that Doug is Douglas Kott? The Road & Track guy who was such a 914 fan he wrote about it several times during his tenure at R&T? Not there any more, he left when they moved the office to Detroit. Great guy. He bought an airplane I think.

And I have his 2.0 in my 914 shades.gif
Dr Evil
Interesting. I built the tranz in that car and the new owner contacted me to discuss the possibility of putting even more HP and TQ into it. I told him to ditch the 901.

Understand the torque is how much instant force is applied. Like a slow moving truck, it can pull a stump out at a slow pace. Resisting torque takes beefy gears, like the ones in a 930. The 901 gears are thin, this is fine for high RPM with low mass. Not so fine for torque when your beefy engine says "MOVE!" and your beefy tires say "GRIPPING!" and inertia says "HAHA FUCK YOU!" and you rip the thin teeth off of the gears.

I never understand why people would not put money into an appropriate transmission to use ALL of the power available. However, I think that V8 conversions are not practical to begin with. Kind of like a hot rod rather than a performance vehicle unless done right with lots of money.
messix
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 24 2014, 05:30 PM) *

Interesting. I built the tranz in that car and the new owner contacted me to discuss the possibility of putting even more HP and TQ into it. I told him to ditch the 901.

Understand the torque is how much instant force is applied. Like a slow moving truck, it can pull a stump out at a slow pace. Resisting torque takes beefy gears, like the ones in a 930. The 901 gears are thin, this is fine for high RPM with low mass. Not so fine for torque when your beefy engine says "MOVE!" and your beefy tires say "GRIPPING!" and inertia says "HAHA FUCK YOU!" and you rip the thin teeth off of the gears.

I never understand why people would not put money into an appropriate transmission to use ALL of the power available. However, I think that V8 conversions are not practical to begin with. Kind of like a hot rod rather than a performance vehicle unless done right with lots of money.

mike I think another point of the weakness is the size of the input and output shafts and the distance of the supporting bearings through out the tranny.

from the clutch into the tranny is one shaft that is only held in place by 2 bearings, and the distance between the two spans along the differential and the gear stack to the "intermediate plate" which is the last bearing that offers any support to the shaft. all the torque input is carried on this shaft and it is not of sufficient size to not twist and deflect [candy caning]. when this happens bearings and gears go bye bye.

the next weakness would be the output shaft at the pinion gear and the ring gear. the pinion end could simply twist right off. the shaft size is small there also.

I have sheared pinions with much larger shafts than on a 901.

so the 901 will live when not abused with clutch dumping launches, burn outs, hard "speed shifts".

partwerks
I'm wondering if it is safe to use with the LS engine?

I've never popped the clutch, or smoked it's shoes, not sure about the hard shift thing?

This is what mine currently has in it's internals: A 904 shaft with a C second gear and an LSD. Your box is very special. It does have the billet plate in it.
After the change over, this is what is currently has in it:
C-N-Z-fH. This setup will move all the gears higher for higher top speeds and lower RPM
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.