Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Opinions on bent rear end
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
doug_b_928
The trunk lid on my car was always crooked and I thought that was what was making the car look a bit crooked at the back. Then I was hoping the crooked stance was due to some kind of suspension problem (like a worn out suspension component). Now I think that something is bent. The bumper and valence are on crooked, which doesn't help. Of course, this may be due to a bent body. So I did some measuring. The trunk opening appears to be square. The gap between the trunk lid and fender is similar on both sides (wider at the top and narrower as it moves to the back end). The trunk lid is about 1/4" longer than the fenders on both rear edges. But the right taillight is about a half an inch higher than the left. When I measure from the ground to the rear wheel well edge, both sides are within 1/8". But when I measure from the centre of the hub to the same spot they are about 1/2"-3/4" different.

I've looked at the relevant measurements on the page on this site (q, r, and s). But they don't help me to get a sense of what is bent. I'm attaching a pic below (I know it doesn't help that the license plate is crooked, sorry). Any thoughts on where I should measure to try to tell me what is bent? Or, any specific pic angles that I can take and post that would be helpful?

The left side wheel has a wobble, so that is probably the side that took a hit, but I suppose it could also be a bad bearing. Any thoughts of how I might be able to get a better sense of what the car needs would be helpful. I'm still on the fence about whether or not to fix it up. If it were not my first car I would part it out, but there is a sentimental attachment.

Unrelated question: I took the back pad off for the first time last weekend. Behind it was a rubber pad. It's in not bad shape. Do most people replace this with dynamat and leave this piece out?Click to view attachment
914itis
I was under the impression that they are all crooked . confused24.gif
doug_b_928
QUOTE(914itis @ Sep 3 2013, 07:45 PM) *

I was under the impression that they are all crooked . confused24.gif

LOL.....and all rusty too? Guess my car just went from a basket case to average smile.gif
struckn
Can't tell it's not on Jack Stands.

idea.gif
Steve
Straighten the license plate and it will be good as new!!! confused24.gif
Just kidding.... The best way to tell if there is a problem is have an alignment done. You can also check the factory measurements. The measurements are on this web site.
I would also leave the back pad, if its in good condition. It usually gets trashed when you remove it, hence replacing it with dynomat.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.