Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autocross folks or track-day dudes..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThePaintedMan
Now that the car is back over on the east coast of FL receiving some attention to get it race-legal, I've already started pondering some of the things I'd like to tackle at some point.

I'm hoping to be able to take it to plenty of DE's in the future and/or more races, but I've been thinking that I need a way to do so without running around on sticky tires all of the time. So that pretty much means trailering it or towing a tire trailer, a la something like Garold's setup.

I really don't have space for a real flat bed, and probably won't for some time, so if I trailered the car, it would be with a tow bar and one of David Lee's excellent tow bar mounts (Rennenmetal). I'm leaning towards this option, because it won't mean taking up a bunch of room at our place and allows me to take the car anywhere and drop it off if need be. I guess the other benefit is that if something breaks at the track, I still have a way to get everything home. The biggest drawback is spending the money on fuel to tow the car with our Blazer.

On the other hand, the tire trailer is cool as can be. I really like Garold's setup and it seems like it makes loading up for the weekend much easier. Again, the drawback is that if something breaks, you're stranded at the track with a car AND a trailer that need rides home.

None of this is happening anytime soon with the wedding coming up and the multitude of other things in my life, but just thought I'd solicit the opinions of the World bretheren. beerchug.gif

Edit: DOH! If this is better suited for the Paddock, feel free to move it admins. My mistake.
Woody
One tire in each trunk and two in the passenger seat.
Krieger
Flat tow! My first big outing. 340 miles without a hitch... The Traverse got 18.1 mpg by the computers reckoning and my refill and math the next day confirmed it.
r_towle
TC has a trailer for the track he is selling.

Ask him how he put a hitch on his 914
Dave_Darling
Another option: A spare roof with a rack bolted onto it. The tires can go on the rack; change once you get to the event.

--DD
ConeDodger
A couple of different thoughts on this.

First, R-rated rubber will last about 5K miles on the street if you daily drive it. I owned a set of A001-R tires when R-rated rubber first hit the market. To give you some perspective, Yokohama is now on the A048 series. I had no second set of wheels. no trailer, and the car was my DD. No choice but to find out how many miles they last. So there's that. If you don't drive the car much, don't worry about it. 5K miles takes a long time at 300 miles a year. The tires will go hard and be useless long before they're worn out.

Second, many people now measure the useful life of R-rated tires in heat cycles. They are worn out pretty quickly in this scenario. I have found that there is NOTHING like a new set of R-rated tires on the first day you use them. Some go away quicker than others but I think even when they are heat cycled out and have miles on them, they're better than regular street tires new.

I have found track events are easier on tires than autocross so I get more use out of them by doing track events.

There is a surprising amount of room in the front trunk and passenger seat if you want to change at the track. I just run mine on the street and trailer to the track. But, I can afford a set of tires a year...

jcd914
QUOTE(Krieger @ Sep 3 2013, 07:51 PM) *

Flat tow! My first big outing. 340 miles without a hitch... The Traverse got 18.1 mpg by the computers reckoning and my refill and math the next day confirmed it.

This was my solution for some auto-x events (back when I had a running 914).
Swapping tire adds to the prep time at the event and my car was so low I had to slip in some spacers in the front suspension to raise it high enough to fit my home made tow bar.

Local events, I just swapped tires at the shop on Friday and drove there.
Jim
Andyrew
^
I had my Bridgestone RE01R's back whey they were the hot shit. Ran them on my A4 autox car and they honestly felt like R tires. Even Randal thought they were tongue.gif

I put 2 track days and about 15 autox's and 3 long twisty driving days on it along with 25k miles. They lost a bit of their grip at the end of their life but I've had them now 4 years and they are still pretty sticky to this day. I will be replacing my wifes tires on her Gen coupe with something similar as the benefits are just way higher than the cons.

For as much as I drive the 914 I could put slicks on it and never wear them out...

Basically, I agree with Rob.
carr914
QUOTE(Woody @ Sep 3 2013, 10:43 PM) *

One tire in each trunk and two in the passenger seat.

agree.gif and get AAA Plus (the 100 Mile Tow will get you home)
Trekkor
I've driven to events, tow dollied, open trailered and now 20 foot enclosed trailer.

I have my eye on another enclosed trailer with three axles and 10 feet longer.

It's the only way to go.

KT
balljoint
I like Woody's option. And AAA. And a tow bar, for back up. You can get the tow bar with a welded race eye too. Especially if you don't have room to store a trailer.
Woody
I will be buying a trailer soon. Last event a couple weeks ago had 160 cars. I arrived at 8 AM and got the car ready. Didn't leave until after 5. I was the last run group. It absolutely sucked having to swap tires back and load up the car. Then make the drive home. Keep in mine, it was august in south Texas. Well over 100°.
carr914
The down side for a Trailer is if you don't have a place to store it. When I had my Trailex in the 90's, I lived in an Apartment that while I had 2 Garage Spaces, the Trailer didn't fit. I kept it at a Storage Facility that was 20 Minutes from my house.

So that meant, the night before an event, I had to get the Trailer, Load it up & keep it parked overnight all wonky in a tiny parking lot. Then you have to leave an hour earlier, cuz you just drive slower.

After the event, I always drove home, unloaded the car & equipment, and take the Trailer back to storage - that always made for a long day
GaroldShaffer
For me it all depends on the weather (I'm old & fat) Super hot days I load the car on the trailer and drive my truck (with AC). On not so hot days I use my AX trailer setup, but to be honest I find myself using my truck & trailer more. It's nice to just load up the car and drive home with the AC on. Once home I just unload the car and swap tires when it is cooler out.

GaroldShaffer
If you are thinking about a pulling a small trailer behind your car and don't want to do the mods that were done to my car check this ad in the classifieds. Not mine, but looks like an easy setup and can be removed for track events.

HItch Setup
ThePaintedMan
Cool, thanks for the replies guys. As I said, it's money to be spent later (when I have it). But I'm leaning towards flat towing it. As T.C. said, not having space is a issue. I could probably do the tire trailer thing, and I know T.C.'s is for sale (saw the ad on CL T.C., looks good), but having one more piece of machinery in the driveway would probably tick my neighbors off.

With flat towing, I can find an excuse to hold onto the Blazer for a few more years, especially with all the work I've put into it for Monica. Though I love a good welding project, and Garold's setup is really cool.
carr914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 3 2013, 10:58 PM) *

TC has a trailer for the track he is selling.

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 4 2013, 10:16 AM) *

Cool, thanks for the replies guys. have it). I could probably do the tire trailer thing, and I know T.C.'s is for sale (saw the ad on CL T.C., looks good), but having one more piece of machinery in the driveway would probably tick my neighbors off.

Sold my little Trailer this Morning

If you're doing a Track Event & I'm not doing it, you can borrow my Car Trailer
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.