Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New here and to 914's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rene M
Who the hell designed these things? Did they live under ground and thought this would be a good way to look up at the world?
" As you can see im new to 914's"
You have to lay on the rear trunk to work in the engine..... Cave..... under a mouse trap. blink.gif

Neat car but .... holy cow.
Im new here so feel free to throw rocks. Also quite new to 914's and that is a long story in the sandbox. idea.gif

Also why do all the other Porsche owners frown down on the 914, 924 and 944.
the 924 hhmmm, i get it... the 944 well, it had a wet engine.. ok i get that one.... kinda.
914? track killers... light fast nimble... whats not to like " other than to work on them"?
I have meet up with far more formidable 914's on the track than 911's by a long shot.

Just questions i have thats all...
also... i hate 4x130 mm wheels lol

excuse me while i duck...

914itis
popcorn[1].gif
cary
Ok I'll jump in first.

First half. Mid Engine. Pretty much covers it.

Second Half. Because they're stupid and haven't driven one.

Besides all the other stuff. Not built in the Porsche factory, Volkswagen, blah, blah, blah.

I have both. I like mine 914(s) more.
type47
QUOTE(Rene M @ Sep 3 2013, 08:08 PM) *

... whats not to like " other than to work on them"? ...

... come back after your first valve adjust ... biggrin.gif welcome.png
Chris H.
QUOTE(type47 @ Sep 4 2013, 01:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Rene M @ Sep 3 2013, 08:08 PM) *

... whats not to like " other than to work on them"? ...

... come back after your first valve adjust ... biggrin.gif welcome.png

av-943.gif Good one sir. It's also fun to change the front targa seal, which most cars are in need of. Good thing there wasn't a hammer nearby when I did it.

welcome.png
jimkelly
hi

what is your question?

do you currently own one?

are you thinking of buying one?

these cars are mid engine and rusty

best bet is to run away dog.gif
lsintampa
welcome.png

My first (and current) 914 is a GREAT SOLID car (body wise). It didn't run when I got it, and it still doesn't run.

You bought a running one, so you're way ahead of... well,,,, me.

If you like to work on cars, once you get the hang of it (like a bat in a cave), or a troll under a bridge, and at times both, you'll love it!

And UH yeah, what was your question?
r_towle
QUOTE(Rene M @ Sep 4 2013, 12:08 AM) *

Who the hell designed these things? Did they live under ground and thought this would be a good way to look up at the world?
" As you can see im new to 914's"
You have to lay on the rear trunk to work in the engine..... Cave..... under a mouse trap. blink.gif

Neat car but .... holy cow.
Im new here so feel free to throw rocks. Also quite new to 914's and that is a long story in the sandbox. idea.gif

Also why do all the other Porsche owners frown down on the 914, 924 and 944.
the 924 hhmmm, i get it... the 944 well, it had a wet engine.. ok i get that one.... kinda.
914? track killers... light fast nimble... whats not to like " other than to work on them"?
I have meet up with far more formidable 914's on the track than 911's by a long shot.

Just questions i have thats all...
also... i hate 4x130 mm wheels lol

excuse me while i duck...

Mid engine...try working on a Ferrari...its no better.
Learn to drop the engine, it takes 45 minutes once you have the process down cold.
First time might be two hours...then you can do it faster and faster.

914 was a VW/Porsche project that failed...VW backed out in the end, Porsche decided to forge ahead, but all the parts were from VW, so this explains the 4*130mm wheels...same as a beetle, loads of wheels available cheap...so its actually a good thing.

Far more formidable 914's than 911's on the track???
Where do you race?
The 914 is awesome on the track, but be honest, the 911 has way more support, money, and track duty than all the race ready 914's put together...just no comparison in shear numbers.

With the right motor and right 914, they are not easy to beat.
BUT
Watch a guy who knows how to drive a 911, and those guys are not everywhere....and they take out 914's with ease.

I have both 914 and 911....different cars, different uses for me.

And for you...sell that damn car...or paint it a totally different color, make up a story to the kids, just change it around.

For the guys that look down upon the 914, just ask yourself if you care...

Rich
Rene M
I road race here in Texas " Houston, San Antonio, Austin area". Ive meet 4 914's that were " rule book burners" 2.4 l hunter killers but on an auto x and a road race.. Other than the GT2 or GT3 911's " in my experience" have not been as quick or as stable. Not to mention the egos that the drivers/owners carry.

I have run GRM 2004-2005 Lemons 09-10 chump etc . I was an instructor for NASA for years and did some instruction for PCA , BMW club and S2K club.
Ive been around a bit. I did some classic racing " if you can call it that with my 1970 Boss 302 Mustang but those guys were all so afraid of contact that you may as well been in a parade.

The 914 seems like a good platform to go quick , i used to trade rids with a guy who had a 914,2.4l killer. Its still one of the fastest short track cars ive ever seen. At the time i had a 200 hp CRX that tipped the scales with full cage at 1885lbs with me in it. under a 100mph it was a killer over that it wanted to take flight no matter how much aero i put on it. The 914 was my running buddy, no one else wanted or could play. PCA hated the car.. and i was asked "polity" not to bring it back a few times. To loud and scary.

But until now i have never worked on a 914... holy cow.. i feel i should tie my feet to the leg of the lift and lower in...

Questions... plastic fuel lines that run from front to back... can i get to them and swap them out with something else or do i just need to make new ones to the tank and secure them under the car.... they are not going through the car for sure.
Rene M
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Sep 4 2013, 01:54 PM) *

hi

what is your question?

do you currently own one?

are you thinking of buying one?

these cars are mid engine and rusty

best bet is to run away dog.gif

How i got here.... Kinda funny.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=218628
bulitt
S/S fuel lines

Tangerine Racing
r_towle
Tangerine Racing, a member vendor here, has stainless pre-bent lines that go through the tunnel.

Chris Foley is the owner, and a great guy with loads of 914 knowledge, parts etc.

www.tangerineracing.com

Eric Shea is another firm you may need.
www.pmbperformance.com

Another member vendor.

www.914rubber.com

Another member Vendor.

Look at the member vendor forum.
Load more guys that own the cars and make and sell stuff to make them faster and better.

www.pelicanparts.com is a Porsche supplier of parts also.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.