Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New master cylinder
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
Ok. so the seals are shot in my Master Cylinder, and its got to go, so what would you do?

a. replace with OEM 17mm reman.
b. upgrade with 19mm 911 option
c. i see a 23mm option out there too,

here is my specs- street car no racing, with new 5lug upgrade and new 5 lug fuchs, new reman stock calipers from PMB , Eric rotors are non-vented. new pads from PMB as well.

does it matter where this is ordered from? who remanufactures them - i see some on Flea-bay that are "new" and AA offers reman for $129, or new for $2xx something,

** also it seems the 911/ 19mm option is slightly less than the 914 OEM, but ive read different opinions on whether this helps, some say yes, some say no- but i want to know from you guys whether it is a benefit or not to "upgrade"

Thans for the advice,

Phil
Eric_Shea
My advice is "always" use a 19mm.

1. They are less expensive. A feature that plays well with this crowd.
2. They give you a harder pedal feel.
3. After reading #2 someone will usually jump in with a physics lesson about how they should be harder to press. Seat of the pants will basically show no difference.
4. Last I checked the 17mm's were becoming scarce and rumor had it they were going by the wayside (as in NLA). That said FTE is now showing an alternative 914 355 012 00 for roughly the same price as the ATE. So, looks like no more original 17mm's, only aftermarket.
5. 23mm is probably excessive for a street driven car with 42mm front and 33mm rear pistons and, would make lock up and modulation a tad more difficult.

Notice I didn't use the word upgrade. I really don't consider it as such. Some websites tout "Upgrade" as a marketing feature but, you basically have the same brake system, just a different hydraulic pump. I do like the firmer feel and I know for a fact you won't really notice the need for more effort on the pedal. For now... stick with ATE and go 19mm.
DRPHIL914
O.k. that is what i wanted to know.

decisions made, calipers ordered and paid for,
now for hoses and M.C. !

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.