Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rocker Panel Rust Repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jpd12arch
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

In need of some advice on repairing rust on my 1976 Porsche 914 2.0. Just found out it has a huge area that is rusted under the rocker panel molding. Is this something that can be fixed? See attached.

The engine runs great, just put on new brakes, new exhaust, etc..

Any help would be appreciated.
Ferg
Sure, anything can be fixed.

But based on those 3 pics, you are in for some mighty costly repairs. sad.gif

I'm guessing rear floors, hell hole, inner and outer long and likely firewall to start.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jpd12arch @ Sep 4 2013, 01:46 PM) *
Is this something that can be fixed?

welcome.png

Yes, this can be fixed but be warned, this is not for the faint of heart.

Here is a link to a classic thread explaining exactly what to do and how. Has lots of pictures too.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=16748

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif
ThePaintedMan
blink.gif

I would seriously consider taking that car off the road before anything else.

Eventually you'll need to pull out the carpet and seats so we can see how bad it truly is on the inside. From first impressions though, that looks like it would be easier for you to find a decent tub rather than trying to repair it.

Do a search for "hell hole" here and you'll find plenty of threads to show you just how much work is involved. Maybe someone else who is in your area will chime in and come take a look at the car for you. Again, first impressions are that it's badddd.
jpd12arch
QUOTE(Ferg @ Sep 4 2013, 03:55 PM) *

Sure, anything can be fixed.

But based on those 3 pics, you are in for some mighty costly repairs. sad.gif

Well that is not good to hear.
nathansnathan
Damn, that is some serious rust. The inner suspension console ear an that side is probably bad, also.

Is that the floor in the last pic? -It looks like it has fallen down some 6 inches. Do the doors close on that car? Looks ready to break in half from here. I wouldn't drive it like that.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd say it's time to start looking for a solid tub to swap parts onto.

welcome.png
lsintampa
Have you had this car for a while or is it new (for you)?

Either way, I'd be careful jacking it up at all, until you pull back some carpet and do a real serious look for rust all around from the top down / bottom up.

If you can, get it on a lift and take good look at the bottom side.

Look behind the seats (pull up carpet to get to the floors).

Hell Hole, is the hole under the battery tray... get some good light down there and take a look.

Dealing with rust is a really big deal. First you need to get a handle on how bad it really is.

If real bad, then seek out a rolling tub - go from there.

I did one rust bucket - ended up in the end running about 22K most of that was body work, rust repair. (Not a Porsche, was a BMW).

Keep us posted on what you find out.

jpd12arch
QUOTE(lsintampa @ Sep 4 2013, 04:21 PM) *

Have you had this car for a while or is it new (for you)?

Either way, I'd be careful jacking it up at all, until you pull back some carpet and do a real serious look for rust all around from the top down / bottom up.

If you can, get it on a lift and take good look at the bottom side.

Look behind the seats (pull up carpet to get to the floors).

Hell Hole, is the hole under the battery tray... get some good light down there and take a look.

Dealing with rust is a really big deal. First you need to get a handle on how bad it really is.

If real bad, then seek out a rolling tub - go from there.

I did one rust bucket - ended up in the end running about 22K most of that was body work, rust repair. (Not a Porsche, was a BMW).

Keep us posted on what you find out.

This is something I bought about 2 months ago, was having some work done on it then was about to have body work done until I ran into this. Looks like I might need to adandon it at this point though. Guess I could always sell the parts off?
76-914
You can sell the parts here. Lots of parts lurkers. Sell the car as a part out special. Or, as those ahead of me have suggested by buy solid 914 shell aka roller and transfer parts over. These cars are very simple to strip and swap parts on. Even the drive train. Shoot us some pic's of the rest of the car. You can stuff about 15 pic's in one post if you downsize them. FWIW, one of the OG's here could do a car in a weekend or 2 with a helper. It would be a great way to learn your way thru a 914. There are lot's of qualified (and I ain't one of 'em) folks here to help with questions.
welcome.png
r_towle
QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 4 2013, 04:56 PM) *

blink.gif

pppffftttttt

Just put the rocker cover back on and drive it till the door wont open on that side....then think about fixing it..
wndsnd
Ahhh ....

The memories ...... biggrin.gif

My famous not last words "Looks like a fun little project."
r_towle
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 4 2013, 06:20 PM) *

Ahhh ....

The memories ...... biggrin.gif

My famous not last words "Looks like a fun little project."

hahaha
wndsnd
It can be done.

Click to view attachment

Not for the faint of heart.
You will learn a lot.

Click to view attachment

Rewarding and satisfying.

Click to view attachment

Many of us have done it or are at it.

Doors won't close when you are done..
av-943.gif
r_towle
welding, sorry dude, had to be done.
wndsnd
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 4 2013, 06:35 PM) *

Welding.

The damage you do while trying to repair something with good intent .....
Shindog1961
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Sep 4 2013, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 4 2013, 06:35 PM) *

Welding.

The damage you do while trying to repair something with good intent .....

welder.gif That's a great definition. av-943.gif
OllieG
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Sep 4 2013, 10:05 PM) *

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'd say it's time to start looking for a solid tub to swap parts onto.

welcome.png

agree.gif blink.gif If you can't do the work yourself (and probably even if you can)..it would be cheaper to try and find a decent tub and transfer the good bits..

I would only tackle that if you have the skills and tenacity to take it on.

Good luck whatever you decide!
jpd12arch

It looks like I am going to have to sell her if anyone is interested. I don't have the ability to do this type of work.

Click to view attachment

worn
QUOTE(jpd12arch @ Sep 4 2013, 12:46 PM) *

Click to view attachment Is this something that can be fixed? See attached.

The engine runs great, just put on new brakes, new exhaust, etc..

Any help would be appreciated.

I accidentally found myself in a similar position with another type of sports car driven unfortunately around here. Texas would have been nice. I am thinking that you do *not* have a real Texas car, but depends I suppose.

Six years later. Six hard years taking the car all of the way apart so that I could lift the biggest pice on my own, it is at a very high #2 condition. Looks like it came off the dealer's floor last week. I could not bear the crushing of something not in production anymore.

If you don't get off on that sort of thing, you will give up part way, cause I like it and I almost did -repeatedly. I wouldn't like to see it go though. It would be nice if someone saved it and at least you now can get many of the panels from resto designs!
Nine_14
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2013, 12:08 AM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 4 2013, 04:56 PM) *

blink.gif

pppffftttttt

Just put the rocker cover back on and drive it till the door wont open on that side....then think about fixing it..

Close the door, weld it in propperly and this is fixed
malcolm2
As they say, "buyer beware". You need to know where to look on these cars. But that is a great looking car, on the outside. You may have a case to take it back to the guy, is that is a dealer floor in the picture? He might help you. Rep is everything to some of those guys. If he says NO, you are back here, selling, etc...

OllieG
QUOTE(jpd12arch @ Sep 5 2013, 06:48 PM) *

It looks like I am going to have to sell her if anyone is interested. I don't have the ability to do this type of work.

Click to view attachment

From the sign in the background, it looks like the dealer does care about their reputation. Did they make you aware the car had some serious issues? Yep, it looks 'OK' from the outside...!

I would be mightily unhappy with them if they're not willing to help you out..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.