Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Quote from the R&T web site
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jeff Krieger
"All that stuff about a flat-6's low center of gravity and a mid-engine car's low polar moment of inertia isn't just marketing fluff; this thing changes direction like a cat on Velcro. Front bite is excellent and turn-in is without hesitation. Once you balance the car with throttle, you can exit the 2nd-gear corners in a beautifully controlled drift."
Zeke
I remember thinking when I bought my only other 914 in'72 now nuetral the car was. This was on the skinny factory tires and 5.5" steel rims. My Boxster reminds me of the 914, but it's too totally advanced to get that raw feeling. One where you know where the road is at all times. If I were to unstick the Box, I would be going so fast that something or someone is going to get hurt. I don't know what this guy is talking about with his second gear controlled drift. It would be a short drift as one cannot stay in 2nd very long. 3rd or 4th, maybe. I don't think he really drove the car that much. But, I'll tell you what, it is stuck to the ground in a big way, but I'm not sure you get the felling that you know where the road is under the car at all times. The power steering may have something to do with it.
Brad Roberts
I have spun one... it took a lot of speed. When it is spinning you get the feeling that the car weighs a friggin ton. I was doing right at 100mph when I missed the apex (after passing a slower car I didnt get the car moved over far enough to make the corner at the speed I was traveling) I later found out he was stuck in 3rd gear doing 40mph when I came up on him from a blind corner.

B
Jeff Krieger
They tested the Boxster along with the new BMW Z4 at Buttonwillow Raceway http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?se...&article_id=553 .

QUOTE(Zeke @ May 23 2003, 08:07 AM)
I remember thinking when I bought my only other 914 in'72 now nuetral the car was. This was on the skinny factory tires and 5.5" steel rims. My Boxster reminds me of the 914, but it's too totally advanced to get that raw feeling. One where you know where the road is at all times. If I were to unstick the Box, I would be going so fast that something or someone is going to get hurt. I don't know what this guy is talking about with his second gear controlled drift. It would be a short drift as one cannot stay in 2nd very long. 3rd or 4th, maybe. I don't think he really drove the car that much. But, I'll tell you what, it is stuck to the ground in a big way, but I'm not sure you get the felling that you know where the road is under the car at all times. The power steering may have something to do with it.
Aaron Cox
yes...i read and made a reference to this article in another thread. quite bal;anced cars...the Z4 was actuallly balanced better f/r than the boxter.....alll the tests wer near identical ....braking results w/ in two feet or so wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.