Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pilot Bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rhodes71/914
Can the pilot bearing be installed into the flywheel without a press. I do have a vise. Any good easy methods?
skline
I just tapped it in with a hammer on everyone I have done. It doesnt take much so dont pound on it like you are driving a nail. Just tap it in.
skline
In fact, I think I used a 1/2in deep socket on it. Works great. smash.gif
Rhodes71/914
Thanks Scott, that was my plan but I read or heard somewhere about using a press.
Joe Ricard
Just use a nut and bolt with some washers. Good as a press easy to keep it straight. Then graduate to a socket to get it recessed for the felt seal.
Rhodes71/914
Then graduate to a socket to get it recessed for the felt seal.

When I took this fflywheel off there was no felt washer and the bearing was flush in the flywheel. If I recess it on the engine side of the flywheel, it will stick out on the other side of the flywheel. confused24.gif
McMark
From the factory manuals. 3.2 mm depth on the friction side.
Joseph Mills
Maybe someone that knows for sure will answer, but as I recall, the felt went on after the pilot bearing is tapped in - which puts it on the outside of the engine.
McMark
The pilot bearing goes in the flywheel, not in the crank.

The felt washer goes on the friction surface side of the flywheel, underneath the six hole "washer" plate.
Engman
I used a block o' wood to tap it flush - then a socket to tap it in. Checked depth with a dail micrometer and tapped until it was there.

M
DNHunt
The pilot bearing does sit in the flywheel. It should be 3.2mm recessed to leave space for the felt washer. There is a spacer in the end of the crankshaft that prevents the pilot bearing from being installed to deeply.

Miy spacer was missing in the new crank and the only one I could find new was from Porsche in a warehouse in Germany. I finally made one from some pipe I had around. I don't recall the dimensions. It just took some measuring and fitting. If I remember it was a pilot bearing installed in the crank instead of the flywheel that ate SirAndy's input shaft seal.

Dave
Rhodes71/914
Got it all sorted out last night. Flywheel is back on the engine.
Thanks everyone.
Joe Ricard
BTW how many holes for bolts? I believe 5. Not 6 as some have indicated.
Rhodes71/914
BTW how many holes for bolts? I believe 5. Not 6 as some have indicated.

McMark
I said six holes because there's one in the center. ohmy.gif

biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
Why not 7 counting the dowel hole?
McMark
Because I was talking about the six hole "washer" plate that doesn't have a hole for the alignment dowel. rolleyes.gif

Sheesh! lol2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.