Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RED ROCKS CLASSIC
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
When this thing finally gave out, I made enough smoke to kill all the mosquitos between Barstow and Needles. Started pulling the engine today. It was good start.
Elliot Cannon
These came out really easy. I'll take that as a good omen. biggrin.gif I should replace with new ones right?
Elliot Cannon
Any body know where I can get replacement gaskets for Euro-Headers? I looked all over this Podunk town and couldn't find them. I don't like to re-use them, even for an exhaust.
r_towle
Oh nooooo

Hot with anticipation on "how to rebuild a type 4 motor" by Elliott....

You know you want to do it.....get a six

Rich
r_towle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 5 2013, 08:08 PM) *

Any body know where I can get replacement gaskets for Euro-Headers? I looked all over this Podunk town and couldn't find them. I don't like to re-use them, even for an exhaust.

Foley has the small ones...larger one looks like a standard Summit racing item

rich
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2013, 05:09 PM) *

Oh nooooo

Hot with anticipation on "how to rebuild a type 4 motor" by Elliott....

You know you want to do it.....get a six

Rich

I'll have a six in it one day. Just not yet. I'll probably send the heads off to be rebuilt and maybe (buy I doubt it)new pistons and cylinders.
r_towle
nope, SLITS has a six for you....he does...I know it.
He has a tank, and all the lines too...and the mount.

Its all sitting in the back covered in dust for his next project...but he will sell it to you....

You have to ask ......
Elliot Cannon
I can always tell when I'm getting tired and need to stop, when I just sit in my beech chair/furnituredolly/creeper and just stare at the car. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
To make matters worse, when I hooked up my portable turn signal/brake lights, I just laid the wiring across my hood and the wind blew the wire back and forth with the expected result.AARGGH!!! headbang.gif I'm hoping it will polish out.
Sleepin
Fire up a Stogie...relax...then jump in the wife's car and haul ass out here.

It is about the people El-yut...the cars are only a nice side effect...(kind of like the hangover).
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2013, 05:12 PM) *

nope, SLITS has a six for you....he does...I know it.
He has a tank, and all the lines too...and the mount.

Its all sitting in the back covered in dust for his next project...but he will sell it to you....

You have to ask ......

I've seen it. biggrin.gif I've got a tank. Slowly collecting parts.
r_towle
Well, at this point I would suggest you make a nice strong steel table on wheels to roll under that car and set the motor on it....so you don't need to crawl around.

Then pull it out, figure out what is going on...it may just be a push rod tube seal, it may be a total rebuild...then decide.

The table....make it strong enough for a six....just saying
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 5 2013, 07:10 PM) *

Foley has the small ones...

no he doesn't biggrin.gif
SharonG
sad.gif
Mike Bellis
Sorry to hear of your trouble... sad.gif

That's pretty much why I didn't go too. I haven't worked all the bugs out of my system... mad.gif
Eric_Shea
I thought this was a collection of posts where everybody weighed in as to why they bailed.

I second the notion of jumping in mamas car. We're really gonna miss ya.
jesiv
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 5 2013, 05:13 PM) *

I can always tell when I'm getting tired and need to stop, when I just sit in my beech chair/furnituredolly/creeper and just stare at the car. biggrin.gif

What brand and model of scissor lift?

Regards

James
McMark
I can't find the collector gaskets. Searched Summit and NAPA for about two hours with little success. sad.gif

I use new cone screws every time.
914_teener
Wow.....I am surprised that motor gave up the ghost.

Why not just make those gaskets Elliot?

Sorry bout the loss....maybe you should just fly out there?

Eric_Shea
QUOTE(jesiv @ Sep 5 2013, 08:58 PM) *

What brand and model of scissor lift?

Regards

James

You mean the one that says "Hanmecson Lift" on the side of it? biggrin.gif poke.gif
JimN73
Elliot, I just got a set of European Race Headers and am looking for the same gaskets. And the flange between the collector and muffler. If/when I find them, Ill let you know.

How did you seal the transition between the 4- 1 collector (slip joint?) and the headers?

Jim
montoya 73 2.0
Elliot, that looks like a Thunderbird exhaust flange. I used to use those on my VW's all the time. The Cap'n would know! Try J.C. Whitney or Thunderbird exhaust.

Click to view attachment

ebay

Click to view attachment
mrbubblehead
i hate those cone screws. i grind the same pointed profile on a hex head bolt. then drill a 1/16 hole thru the head and saftey wire it. way easier to put in and take out.... AND you can reuse them.
JoeSharp
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Sep 6 2013, 12:29 AM) *

i hate those cone screws. i grind the same pointed profile on a hex head bolt. then drill a 1/16 hole thru the head and saftey wire it. way easier to put in and take out.... AND you can reuse them.

Thanks Doug, thats GOOD....
bulitt
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 5 2013, 08:13 PM) *

Not so bad. I usually tell when I'm tired when I hit my thumb with a hammer or my head on the lift. chair.gif
jtf914
Nice garage setup. Where did you get those hard rubber mats you are using for ramps? I have a midrise lift and could use an extra inch of clearance. (Extra inch jokes start now...)

Thanks,
Justin
SLITS
The orange RTV is a no no on your pushrod tubes. That's what caused the problem.

Shoddy engine builder.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Sep 6 2013, 04:55 AM) *

Nice garage setup. Where did you get those hard rubber mats you are using for ramps? I have a midrise lift and could use an extra inch of clearance. (Extra inch jokes start now...)

Thanks,
Justin

8 foot fir 2X8's painted black. biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SLITS @ Sep 6 2013, 05:58 AM) *

The orange RTV is a no no on your pushrod tubes. That's what caused the problem.

Shoddy engine builder.

It's not leaking from the push rod tube. It's not leaking from there because of the copious amount of orange RTV I used to seal them. slap.gif laugh.gif
proto31

Sorry to hear about the engine trouble Elliot sad.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Justin Fischer @ Sep 6 2013, 07:55 AM) *

Thanks,
Justin

Look for Horse Stall Mats at Tractor Supply or your favorite horse supply store.

They are recycled rubber, 1/2 inch thick

Rich
Elliot Cannon
So, I'm crawling around under the car cleaning up after getting the exhaust off and a few other things done and I feel a sharp, stabbing pain in my left knee. Feels a lot like my right one did when I tore the meniscus. I'm hoping maybe cortisone might help but? This getting old crap is, well, getting old. The upside is, great pain meds after knee surgery. smoke.gif laugh.gif
jtf914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 6 2013, 02:17 PM) *

8 foot fir 2X8's painted black. biggrin.gif

Lol thanks. Looks good...

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 6 2013, 05:54 PM) *

Look for Horse Stall Mats at Tractor Supply or your favorite horse supply store.

They are recycled rubber, 1/2 inch thick

Rich

Thanks, I'll check them out... There's a TSC store nearby.
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 6 2013, 04:28 PM) *

So, I'm crawling around under the car cleaning up after getting the exhaust off and a few other things done and I feel a sharp, stabbing pain in my left knee. Feels a lot like my right one did when I tore the meniscus. I'm hoping maybe cortisone might help but? This getting old crap is, well, getting old. The upside is, great pain meds after knee surgery. smoke.gif laugh.gif

Yeah, they're so good that it's almost worth the damned constipation they cause. dry.gif
JimN73
Elliot, Joel at GT Racing would just love to sell you the gaskets for your headers.

1 800 797-2911

Be warned, they're not cheap.
r_towle
What happened to the motor?
StratPlayer
icon_bump.gif
76-914
You might have to wait until Monday for Elyut to reply. I don't think they put him on the "Weekend Release Program" this time.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 13 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Don't have it out yet. House sitting and drinking wine in the bay area. beer3.gif
SLITS
Gold chains, Whine & Cheese ... you might as well buy an assdragger!
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 14 2013, 06:17 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 13 2013, 08:21 PM) *

Don't have it out yet. House sitting and drinking wine in the bay area. beer3.gif

House sitting? confused24.gif Who is sitting in your house when your sitting in someone elses? wacko.gif

Get to work you slacker! smash.gif smile.gif
Eric_Shea
There's nothing wrong with his car. He was afraid of the Honey badger. dry.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Sep 15 2013, 11:10 AM) *

There's nothing wrong with his car. He was afraid of the Honey badger. dry.gif

I had a Honey badger for lunch today! chowtime.gif av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
Dropped off the heads at European Motorworks last Thursday. George (knowledgeable and easy to talk to) called today. Small cracks around spark plug holes and he will install time certs. He'll replace all the valve guides, and studs. The #2 exhaust was leaking because the exhaust valve guide boss was wrecked. They are trimmed way down to accommodate the dual valve springs. He said they will make a new one on the lathe. By the way, he and FAT Performance both use RTV to seal the push rod tubes. biggrin.gif I only bring that up so I can enjoy the abuse from SLITS. poke.gif Looking forward to getting the engine back together and back on the road.
Cheers, Elliot
boxsterfan

What model of car lift is that? Hanmecson, but which model?

That would be perfect for my garage. I assume you like it?
Elliot Cannon
I got it here. Quality tool and equipment. 1-800-647-7883. I'll try to find a model number for you but I'm pretty sure all these lifts are close to the same and are put together by young kids in China somewhere. dry.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.