Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: fuel pump for carbs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
I am switching my 73 from FI to carbs. I want to mount a fuel pump under the tank and was wondering where I can get elec. power to run the pump. Is there power somewhere up front or do I need to run a wire all the way from the relay board? How much room is under the tank?
Cheers, Elliot
rhodyguy
elliot, i opted to to place mine on the rear firewall beneath the engine shelve. the fuel filter needs to be up stream of the fuel pump. if you place your's under the fuel tank, you might have a big pain in the ass everytime you want to change the filter. if you haven't seen them, i posted some pictures showing how i placed mine, something to consider. i intend to use the stock fuel pump power supply (keyed source). when i get my engine tin seal, hopefully today, and the engine in, i'll let the bbs know how my thoughts pan out.

kevin
Elliot_Cannon
Thanks Kevin,
I would also like to mount my pump in the engine compartment but am concerned about vapor lock. Also there is a certain type pump that works better at the tank than in the engine compartment( according to Brad Roberts ). Anyway I think thats what he said in an earlier post. What type pump are you using? Rotary?
It makes sense to have the filter where you can get at it easier to change it.
Cheers, Elliot
Brad Roberts
Certain pumps are better pushers than they are suckers. This is only a concern if you mount the new pump higher than the bottom of the tank.

Use rotary.. they are pretty quiet. The facet type pumps are loud..even if you mount them on rubber (they bolt directly to the stock rubber mounts for the factory pump (which is where I put them..so I can use the stock wiring)

B
Dave_Darling
Actually, I think that all the pumps we can get are better at pushing fluid than they are at pulling it.

The stock power supply is controlled by the stock FI computer. I assume you're ditching the ECU... Run a wire from the fuse box that carries "switched" power.

If you put the pump in the engine bay, you can leave the "FI Power relay" on the board and run a wire from the right-front pin of the four-pin connector at the left-rear corner of the relay board. That gives you a relay-protected source of power that will be on any time the ignition is on.

--DD
Aaron Cox
i relocated my facet to the front under the tank to do my carbs. works good. kinda loud tho -_- have it boltrd to the passenger footwell under the tank w/ fuel filter between the tank and the pump an done between the pump and the carbs <_<
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.