Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Tent garages
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruddyboys
I have one of those mobile tent garages that I keep my teener under. I have had it for 2 years and now it leaks. Not just at the seams. After a good rain the car is very wet all over. Does any one know of some kind of coating I could put on to make it waterproof again.
boxstr
Yea, Get a bigger one and put over the one that is leaking. Or a smaller one and put it under the one that is leaking.
<_<
Sorry I couldn't resist.
CCLINNADA
ddroger
I guess it all depends on whether the cover has become porous, or if it has gotten worn in the places where it rubs on the framework. There is a product called "tarp tape" that is alledgedly formulated to stick really well the the poly of the cover. that might work if your cover has holes worn in it.

Failing that, maybe you could cover or replace the porous area with new fabric cut from a suitably-sized and colored poly tarp.

Not many "coatings" I can think of would stick to the poly cover, although there are now some paints for plastic that might work.

Don
ws91420
Try a camping supply store for tent seam sealer.
MartyYeoman
I have a similar tarp style "tent" garage I keep my slide-on camper under.
When it started wearing out at two years old I purchased a new tarp top
from the manufacturer an installed it under the old one. Now the leaks are
gone and the old one protects the new one. My hope is I'll get more than
two years use this time around.
bernbomb914
how hard would it be to put a corrigated metal roof on it? put some cross beams on it and attach the metal or fiberglass to them. should not cost much and would last for many years.

Bernie
chunger
try a silicone waterproofing spray. get it at an outdoors store. . .. worth a try? Makes water run away from my boots.

-'Chung
dflesburg
Chung is right....

A good camping supplier like campmor.com should be able to fix you up.

You will have to wait for warm weather to do it though. You need a dry 50-70degree day.

Set up your tent, let dry, apply spray on tent waterproofer, allow to dry, done.

All tents will leak after time if not re waterproofed.

We do ours once a year and stay dry on all the rainy campouts...

dflesburg
Eagle Scout and Cub Scout Leader.

Scratch Campmor, I checked they don't have what I use, go to lowes and get the large cans of Scotchguard. Spray yourself silly...

Thats what I use...
STL914
Just out of curiosity, what are these "tent" garages made of, canvas or a polypropolene material?

If they are canvas, I agree that respraying with a water proofing should work by closing the material pores.

If poly, I would doubt that would work since it's not a natural material. I have a poly rain cover over our deck canopy and have replaced that twice due to it breaking down because of the UV rays. It actually becomes brittle and I had pieces seperating from cover. It also eventually leaked at the seams
and at rub points.
neo914-6
I asked about them car canopies earlier.
Most have alot of plastic content and since they are relatively inexpensive, they will probably only last a few years. You can put a sacrificial tarp over it to extend the life. The Coverit's have more rubber content and well uv protected but cost 3-4x. I have a friend in Colorado (higher elevation, higher UV) with a Coverit that's still tight after 7 years. I guess you get what you pay for. Mine is the Costco type but it is under a huge tree so mostly protected from the sun. The walnuts are another story! sad.gif
Felix
morph
If all else fails then Invest about $30 in bungee cords and a Heavy duty tarp that will fit over the existing one.

HIEDI
dflesburg
tent material that can be treated is more than just canvas, it also includes nylon...

If its leaking at the seams, campmor does have seam sealer....

If it is breaking down, then replace it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.