Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mr. Bubblehead's Cone scerws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JoeSharp
As stated in the title, this is Doug's idea from Elliot's thread. RRC, Why I didn't make it.

"i hate those cone screws. i grind the same pointed profile on a hex head bolt. then drill a 1/16 hole thru the head and saftey wire it. way easier to put in and take out.... AND you can reuse them."
JoeSharp
Thanks for the tip Doug. It is such a good tip I just thought everyone should see this.
bulitt
I wonder if the cone screws like a set screw are case hardened for strength?
SLITS
BTDT
Pictures for those that have no idea of part - please
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(bulitt @ Sep 6 2013, 05:56 AM) *

I wonder if the cone screws like a set screw are case hardened for strength?

They are set screws. They are not specially hardened. I have made these. Pretty simple lathe job. After I furn the taper, I machine a 1/8" spot with a ball end mill for a 1/8" nylon ball. This is what is needed to help keep it from vibrating loose like as used in a Nylock nut. I would never trust a hand ground screw. This is trouble looking to happen.
DBCooper
"I would never trust a hand ground screw. This is trouble looking to happen."

Unfortunately not many of us have the access to milling equipment that you have, so what you're suggesting isn't really an option. Could you elaborate on that statement, that you'd "never trust"? Especially in comparison to a standard set screw without safety wire. If the profile is reasonably close and it's safety wired it should engage well and not move, so I'm trying to imagine how it could fail.

Also, if you have access to that equipment, would you consider making a few boxes of those modified screws that one of our member-vendors could sell?

Thanks

JWest
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Sep 6 2013, 09:35 AM) *

Also, if you have access to that equipment, would you consider making a few boxes of those modified screws that one of our member-vendors could sell?

Thanks

I have these already if you are looking for something to purchase.

JWest locking cone screws

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Are there 2 cone screws required or just one ? sad.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Lotta fuss over a readily available, and inexpensive, part. 901 424 229 00. Google it. Anywhere from under 3 bucks to a little over 6 bucks at Stoddard. Sometimes it's good to be a CSOB, other times it's pissin' in the wind.

The Cap'n
McMark
Cap'n beat me to it. laugh.gif
sean_v8_914
LOL!!!
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 6 2013, 10:41 AM) *

Lotta fuss over a readily available, and inexpensive, part. 901 424 229 00. Google it. Anywhere from under 3 bucks to a little over 6 bucks at Stoddard. Sometimes it's good to be a CSOB, other times it's pissin' in the wind.

The Cap'n

True enough. The problem is unless you want to stock them, you must order them and pay for shipping. Here in the Midwest that means California or Atlanta. A 10 minute lathe job works for me. I now just install a new 1/8" nylon ball in the old screw and reuse them. A pack of 100 balls costs less than 1 screw.

As far as not trusting a hand ground screw, you run into trouble if there is some movement between the hole and the screw cone. This can work loose. You also run the risk of damaging the hole making a new screw not fit correct.
rhodyguy
you'll require 2 of james' screws with the locking nut. just like always.
mrbubblehead
thanks joe.... no fuss to make really. a quick twist on a bench grinder or an angle grinder even. can be removed with a simple cresent wrench if need be.

IPB Image
worn
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 6 2013, 07:41 AM) *

The Cap'n

To quote Jerry Jeff:

That the answer my friend is just pissin' in the wind
The answer is pissin' in the sink
DBCooper
QUOTE(JWest @ Sep 6 2013, 08:16 AM) *

I have these already if you are looking for something to purchase.

Even better, thanks!!

Nine_14
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 6 2013, 05:41 PM) *

The Cap'n

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Cap'n, i will become problems with my midriff this night

lol-2.gif
balljoint
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Sep 6 2013, 04:01 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 6 2013, 05:41 PM) *

The Cap'n

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif

Cap'n, i will become problems with my midriff this night

lol-2.gif

I think that means he is "busting a gut" laughing... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.