Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: i christened my mig with an actual repair ///
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jimkelly
pics

I bought a small sheet of 16 gage at ace for the jobwarning
Cap'n Krusty
That's a PRESSURE VESSEL, dude. Don' be messin' around with that. Remind me to be in another state when you fire it up ................................. Have you written your will? Good time to do so.

The Cap'n
jimkelly
THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING !!!
J P Stein
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 6 2013, 07:26 AM) *

That's a PRESSURE VESSEL, dude. Don' be messin' around with that. Remind me to be in another state when you fire it up ................................. Have you written your will? Good time to do so.

The Cap'n

+1
Pressure vessels are nuthin' to mess with. They don't play well should your welds fail.
URY914
Be sure to post the "after" pics. And tell us how far off the ground it jumps when it blows. biggrin.gif
jimkelly
alright - thanks for looking out for me guys : )

I, now more than ever, need to get 220v into my garage.
Andyrew
Tacks look good, but you need more heat.

I would have tacked every inch and then ran an inch bead every alternating.
stugray
Yeah BIG FUN!

Chances are if the tank burst, it would be at one of your weld seams and would not throw a bunch of shrapnel BUT IT WOULD LAUNCH ACROSS THE GARAGE!

With that rust in there, you probably cannot trust those welds.

Can you get just a new tank and plumb the compressor into that?

Stu
stugray
I, now more than ever, need to get 220v into my garage.

If you wire 220 for a garage plug, have a 4-prong plug installed.
That way you can make an extension cord that gives you 2X 110 outlets on different phases.
That is preferred for running high current 110 appliances like heaters along with power tools, etc.

Stu
sean_v8_914
today is "crack me up" post day. cone screws not this. hahahaalol
Spoke
On this bursting thing, is it assumed that the entire welded area would rupture at one time throwing shrapnel, or just split over a small area allowing a rapid escape of air?
balljoint
As long as the propane tank for the BBQ wasn't next on the list for repairs...
jd74914
I just have to add...

You'll never launch it with 120 psig in that thing. If you did blow out the entire patch the velocity probably wouldn't be high enough to have the energy to move it. Additionally, the likelihood of blowing out all 4 joints simultaneously and shooting shrapnel is also almost zero. That said, welding on pressure vessels (anything over 6 inches holding over 15 psig) isn't a good idea unless you are a code welder and test to ASME BPCV since if someone gets hurt and those two things aren't true you would lose all of your worldly possessions.

If you had more practice (needs more heat), and were going to pressure test to 150% of max pressure I wouldn't be afraid to fix a tank in such manner.

You're welding is looking a whole ton better Jim! smile.gif
jimkelly
thanks guys

all kidding aside - nice that we have each other's backs beerchug.gif
Nine_14
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 6 2013, 04:26 PM) *

The Cap'n

av-943.gif

agree.gif
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 6 2013, 01:21 PM) *

I just have to add...

You'll never launch it with 120 psig in that thing. If you did blow out the entire patch the velocity probably wouldn't be high enough to have the energy to move it. Additionally, the likelihood of blowing out all 4 joints simultaneously and shooting shrapnel is also almost zero. That said, welding on pressure vessels (anything over 6 inches holding over 15 psig) isn't a good idea unless you are a code welder and test to ASME BPCV since if someone gets hurt and those two things aren't true you would lose all of your worldly possessions.

If you had more practice (needs more heat), and were going to pressure test to 150% of max pressure I wouldn't be afraid to fix a tank in such manner.

You're welding is looking a whole ton better Jim! smile.gif

agree.gif
I'll also add that pressure tests are properly done with water, not with air.

I think it would have been better to make the patch a little larger than the opening and lap weld it instead of butt welding.
r_towle
Wrap two leather belts around it so they capture both sides of the plate.
Aim the plate at the wall.

Done.

Also, take the 110 volt motor off the old compressor and put it on the other tank....just saying.
Oh, its all NPT pipe fittings again.. smile.gif
You must know that isle by heart now...

rich
jimkelly
looks like the motor on my green compressor can be set up for 230/11A or 115/22A ??

although won't a 22A circuit need some fatter wire than is currently running into my garage.

jim
r_towle
What circuit are you plugging in the welder to at this time?

If it blows the breaker, find the washing machine circuit...typically 20 amp.

rich
stugray
need some fatter wire than is currently running into my garage.

Where is your breaker panel?
Mine is IN my garage.

I ran some flex conduit out the bottom of the panel, through the drywall to a box & installed a dryer plug. (however I would have installed the 4-prong as mentioned above if I had thought about it)

put the wires in a 220 breaker and snapped it in.
Didnt even have to turn off the power to the panel.

Stu
rock914
I had one blow once, it rusted through. I was about 8 feet away when she went....It was bad, I had it sitting up against one of the polls in my pole barn. It actually snapped the pole off at the floor and forced the wall out about 6 inches. My wife felt the percussion on the house about 150 feet away. I believe it flew about 4 ft on the air after hitting the side of the barn. I was lucky; it really gives you an entirely new respect for compressors. Needless to say I meticulously maintain my compressor now.
jimkelly
unfortunately my little compressor was gas powered thus no 110v elec motor to be gotten from it.

my fuse box is just on the other side of the wall to my garage. and the compressor has this plug on it currently.
rhodyguy
why 220 for such a tiny compressor? dry.gif those both look like pretty old units. step up and buy a new one. going thru all the hassle of a new circuit...shared garage and household appliances. rolleyes.gif when i did my garage and put in a new panel the garage got new circuits of its own with the provision for a 220 line in the panel (but not to a breaker at this time) and run to a convenient location on my side of the garage..
r_towle
It's right there, get an electrician to put a few heavy duty outlets right on the wall behind that breaker panel...simple and done.

Get a 30 amp 110 volt plug, a bunch of 20 amp 110 volt plugs, and a 30 or 50 amp 220 volt plug out there...

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.