Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CA DMV lost pink & registration penalities Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
913B
So I have a chance to buy a 914 but it has been sitting for 20 years.

The Bad:
Seller don't have a pink and said that he looked into DMV
about getting the pink and it was WAY too much $$.
Seller advised to purchase it as a parts car only.

1. Isn't getting a replacement pink slip not that much ??
2. Perhaps he has many parking citations or PAST over due registrations ??

Question: How can I check all this before purchasing.
I am thinking start with the VIN and check with the DMV, but that aint going
be fun. Any easier ways, tips or suggestion would be appreciated ?

BTW. Its a early one, with FI, of course some rust issues, but don't know how bad.
Haven't inspected yet. Any hidden areas to look for besides the obvious ?

Thanks in advance.
Ted
jim_hoyland
AAA can be a big help with sticky registration issues
914turboford
It should be a fairly simple purchase. Have the seller fill out a lost pink form. Get the car inspected by a CHP officer or licensed VIN inspector (there is a form for this). If the car has been unregistered for more than 5 years it will be out of the DMV's computer. Therefore there won't be any back fees. Pay the sales tax and license fee and you will be good to go, and have your new pink slip in a couple of weeks.

As far as the parking tickets, I'm not sure if another agency has the ability to attach those fees to the purchase somehow but I'm pretty sure they can't.
913B
Dam I was looking for excuses to pass on it.
Thanks guys

biggrin.gif
raw1298
Did it with mine. No real issues. Phone call to police department to check for stolen and then to dmv for an hour and 165.00 fee that included back fees. They only charged a couple years and forgave the rest. Maybe she was having a great day?
andys
+1 for AAA. They can do everything, including witnessing the vin (car). My car sat for 14 years in the PO's garage; Only took one visit to AAA to get everything done.

Andys
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.