Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tire size?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KLims914
I recently purchaced a 1974 and was wonderring what tires I should put on the car. Currently has 155/50's on it. I don't plan on autocrossing, just running on the road having fun.

Thanks for your help.

Mike
boxstr
What siz wheels do you have on the car. That will limit you to some degree.
CCLINTIRERACK
ejm
Looking at his avatar I would say he has 20" Fuchs laugh.gif

Welcome to the board Mike wavey.gif
Mueller
welcome...

popular tire sizes for 15" stock rims and some aftermarket rims are:

195/50 (about the lowest you want to go)
195/60
205/50 (very common size for tires that are more performance oriented)
205/55
and
205/60 (depending on brand, this tire will offer the best ride, due to the tall sidewalls)

thanks for Dave....that what I get for being rushed by the wife..."hurry up and get off that damn computer" smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Mueller, the word is "oriented".

195-65-15 is also a fairly popular size. It's almost the same overall diameter as the original tires (which were roughly 165/80-15) so it keeps your speedometer and gearing close to stock. It also will fit on all the stock wheels under stock 914 fenders. Some few 914s do not fit 205s on stock wheels (and only on the one rear wheel or the other)--it varies from car to car.

Aftermarket wheels can be a problem. Some of them (with VW Bug offsets) will only let you use 165-width tires!

--DD
EdwardBlume
914s do vary.

I like the 205 / 60 / 15s over the 195's based on looks, ride, and function. I've also seen 205s rub on both the inside and outside. Unfortunately, 914s vary and it may be some trial and error.

On my last car, I went with 205's on the street, used 1.4 inch spacers all the way around, and had plenty of clearance with 1.5 - 2.0 camber.
KLims914
Thank you all. I am glad to have found such a wonderful resource for my new toy. Now to fix my avatar.

Mike
Flat VW
I recently bought tires for my 72', 205/55/15 and they fit by a frogs hair, do not rub but tolerences are near zero, a tight fit. I am sure a variance in wheel offset could make them "not fit" rolling.gif

I have wheels that look like Mahles to me but I am told they are Perinis. unsure.gif
jd74914
what's the widest tire you can fit with western rims?
Trekkor
Funny you should ask.
I just mounted 205/50/15 Hoosiers on my 914 today.
Did some minor fender rolling, but they are on. smash.gif

I'd think you could mount 195/60's with no problem.
Maybe 205's, as the race tires tend to be wider than they say they are. confused24.gif

the backspace on the Western is 4.5 inches while the 914 rims are 5 inches
( 4.875 actually )

KT
Trekkor
ohmy.gif
jr91472
Same question, but for 2.0 Fuchs? Will 205's work?

Just got rid of my EMPI's, now need to replace my 185-70s
Trekkor
The 205's should work on the Fuch's as long as they are factory and not the replica's from American Eagle.

Here's Rob Way's 205's on Fuch's.

KT
drgchapman
I mounted Hoosier 205/50's on my stock 2.0 fuchs, had to pound the left rear inner in about 1/4 inch to clear. All others cleared fine. Drives like a go cart, no,..... better.
Series9
On stock-bodied cars, I love 205/50-15s. I've run them on many cars with no trouble (not to say you won't, because some people obviously have). If you use these, your speedo will need to be adjusted.

I've had them on 2.0 Fuchs and 5-bolt Fuchs and Cookie Cutters.

The flair in the picture is just taped on to check fit. The stock fender is still under there.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(jr91472 @ Dec 13 2004, 07:44 PM)
Same question, but for 2.0 Fuchs? Will 205's work?

Maybe. Like we keep saying, all 914s are a little bit different. 205s will probably work as long as you're using stock 914 wheels--but it is not a sure thing! Some 914s will not fit 205s, even when using stock wheels. Ya gots ta try it and see how it works on your car.

--DD
jr91472
Thanks all. smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.