Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tail shift to sideshift
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chad newton
I will be switching to the sideshift trans pretty quick. I have the right mount and the rod. Dose anyone have a discription of the parts so I can see if I am missing anything? Also, do I need to change the arm out of the firewall?
stugray
You need:
Shifter
shaft from shifter to firewall
Bent rod from firewall to tranny
Engine mount bar
Engine mounts (engine to bar)
Engine mounts (bar to body)
Linkage cover at firewall
Linkage cover at tranny
Boots for linkage (both ends)
two cone screws
New firewall bushing (the one to convert from early to side-shift is special, they have them at PP - GET TWO I ruined the first one trying to put it in)
New bushing at tranny end (you can get brass/bronze but I forget where I got mine)
"Cup" bushing, goes inside the linkage at the tranny end
New Ball for tranny end (this one not sure about, might be metal ball permanently attached to shift lever at tranny)

I'm sure I forgot something, others will chime in

Stu
GeorgeRud
Basically, you have to change all the parts from the shift knob back to the transmission. However, you'll find that it's worth the hassle when you're all done.

Dr Evil
Not all that much hassle, actually. You will do fine.
Cap'n Krusty
You also need the engine mount brackets that alloe the mounts to attach to the engine. . Here's the sequence: Brackets (left and right), mounts, bar, solid channel brackets that fit on the chassis where the outer mounts used to go. You can reuse the special bolts for the engine brackets and the regular bolts for both the outer brackets and the bar.

The Cap'n
rhodyguy
w/heat exchangers you need a later dr side warm air guide too. it's the piece that attaches to the he and the case that covers the push rod tubes. the pivot on the fire wall does not come into play after the conversion. buy the super shift bushing kit with the conversion bushing at the firewall. fig 5.27 on page 89 of your haynes shows everything else. don't worry about item 29 but while you're in there consider doing #s 17 & 19. they are the bushings that cradle the ball on the shifter.
76-914
Mind if I throw a wrench in the gears, here? I'm talking out of my ass because I don't have a tail shifter but if I did I would look closely at changing to cable shift and leaving the trans alone. JMHO
mepstein
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 7 2013, 10:41 AM) *

Mind if I throw a wrench in the gears, here? I'm talking out of my ass because I don't have a tail shifter but if I did I would look closely at changing to cable shift and leaving the trans alone. JMHO

Very valid point. Possibly more fab work needed than a switch but if a kit was made it would be a nice upgrade.
rhodyguy
you will need the brand new inner rubber mounts photo(s) has listed in the classifieds. cheaper than the bird prices.
kevin311
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 7 2013, 10:41 AM) *

agree.gif

I love my cable shifter, I fabbed it up in a weekend with my dad.
It changes the way the car shifts but it does take a little research and adjustment to make it all work best.
My trans is in need of a rebuild. I cant imagine what a fresh trans would be like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.