Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: just curious
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
driver66
what is the largest 6 I can install in my 72 914 without loseing the ability to haul my top in the back? or other serious body mods. I am gonna stay with all porsche running gear. I just dont know the combinations of air cooled 6 and tranny type.
seanery
Any aircooled 6 will fit without losing the ability to store the top.
Bleyseng
3.8L
brant
Hey aren't there some 4.0 custom cylinders out there, or am I crazy...

so I think you should build a 4.0 six and then sell it to me at .25$ on the dollar.

but any size six you want can be made to work. I think 3.0 and up require more tranny/flywheel work

brant
seanery
Everything 3.2 and smaller are fairly simple conversions, the 3.6 has issues with oil cooling. That motor doesn't have a built in cooler like the previous engines so thought will need to be given on that issue.
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ May 23 2003, 07:54 AM)
Everything 3.2 and smaller are fairly simple conversions, the 3.6 has issues with oil cooling. That motor doesn't have a built in cooler like the previous engines so thought will need to be given on that issue.

yepp, 3.2 and smaller is a direct swap.

the 3.6 requires more work, as mentioned, you NEED a external oil-cooler. (a big one! or 2) ...
and yes, there is a 4.0L big bore for the 3.6.

get a twin-plug 3.6, put the 4.0L big bore on it, then add a nice supercharger and off you go. cool.gif

Andy
Joe Bob
Now ask us if it streetable with that much horse power.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ May 23 2003, 10:33 AM)
Now ask us if it streetable with that much horse power.....

hehe, that's a good question.
i'm planning on going down that route, IF i can sell my company, otherwise, i'll be stuck with the 1.8 for a while ...

Andy
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 23 2003, 09:26 AM)
the 3.6 requires more work, as mentioned, you NEED a external oil-cooler. (a big one! or 2) ...
and yes, there is a 4.0L big bore for the 3.6.

get a twin-plug 3.6, put the 4.0L big bore on it, then add a nice supercharger and off you go. cool.gif

Andy

One of the guys in the SDS PEFI group buy is doing that engine with a turbo in a 911 (930 look-a-like)

He's aiming for 600hp! wacko.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 23 2003, 11:49 AM)
He's aiming for 600hp! wacko.gif

ugh, i was more thinking about the 400 HP range ...
600 will cut down engine-life quite a bit, me thinks. unsure.gif
driver66
i'm looking for 300 + or - . need to stay close to stock for dependability. what is the going price on a 3.6 ?? and would it be dependable as a daily driver with the big bore?? how many horses to a stock 3.6 with exhaust????????????thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(driver66 @ May 23 2003, 09:45 PM)
i'm looking for 300 + or - . need to stay close to stock for dependability. what is the going price on a 3.6 ?? and would it be dependable as a daily driver with the big bore?? how many horses to a stock 3.6 with exhaust????????????thanks

you can get the 300 HP out of a stock 3.6
no need to go with the 4.0L big bore ...

Andy
driver66
cool,now were can i find one????????????il check at www.oklahomaforeign.com
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.