Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weird elec prblm-hibeam lights-SOLVED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Ok, this problem is weird.
Whenever I turn my sterring wheel to the right my higbeams come on.
It's not in the horn ring nub cause I can duplicate the problem with the steering wheel completely off. If I turn the wheel right and left at just the right spot, I can turn the high beams on and off!
And it's not in the turn signal high beam switch cause I changed it to a spare I had and still had the same problem.
Any guesses?
messix
could be a chaffed wire along the column from the high/ low switch. the wires from the relay to switch these go to ground to actuate.
Mike Bellis
You may have a bent steering shaft.
HalfMoon
QUOTE(messix @ Sep 6 2013, 10:49 PM) *

could be a chaffed wire along the column from the high/ low switch. the wires from the relay to switch these go to ground to actuate.

Doubtful as I put a completely different switch in (and the wires in the plastic gaurds looked fine on visual)
I did notice that the colum is quite loose in it's bearings. No doubt they need replacement, but how could that trigger the switch?
HalfMoon
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Sep 6 2013, 10:51 PM) *

You may have a bent steering shaft.

Hmmmm. I don't think so but that's hard to determine unless it's out and dissassembled. The shaft is quite loose in the bearings though (they're shot) so I wonder if that's causing a fault of some kind triggering the relay?
McMark
My guess is that something is flexing enough to either cause the switch/connection to contact, or the yellow/red wire is grounding out somewhere (probably still due to flex).
HalfMoon
QUOTE(McMark @ Sep 6 2013, 11:21 PM) *

My guess is that something is flexing enough to either cause the switch/connection to contact, or the yellow/red wire is grounding out somewhere (probably still due to flex).

I think that might be it although it'll be a bitch to repair. Steering colum will need to come out to replace those bearings. Needs to be done anyway so I'll report back if that solves the problem. Bleh.
headbang.gif
HalfMoon
Well the bearings did indeed need replacement that's true, but once I had things apart I noticed that some wires were chaffed and exposed just below the steering colum switch plugs. Little doubt they were grounding when the steering wheel (which was quite loose) was turned at a certain angle. Soooo, all problems solved.
driving.gif
McMark
smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.