Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New oil tank finished
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
moggy
Guys

The fella doing my oil tank has finished and to say I'm pleased is an understatement. I think he's done a cracking job! The remit was to fit it snugly into the area where the relay board was. The oil out is perfectly placed to have the oil line coming through the existing standard hole in the bodywork. There's one breather line out which is going to go into the existing breather. De-airation and multiple baffles are integral. Oil temp sender boss at the bottom.

He has kept the templates and can make for anyone that wants one.

What do you guys reckon?

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Harpo
That is sweet.

David
Randal
Nice design and fabrication.

Sure wish you'd consider pulling all the parts together for a blower, like you did. Made in Wales is good!
mrbubblehead
that is beautiful... i like the idea of making it out of ss. spin chamber too. how many quarts does it use at operating level?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Sep 7 2013, 04:55 PM) *

that is beautiful... i like the idea of making it out of ss. spin chamber too. how many quarts does it use at operating level?

Very nice work!. Making such nice weld beads in aluminum takes lots of prep & practice.
Any pictures of the interior baffling?
Matt Romanowski
Looks great!
moggy
Thanks guys. I'm picking the car up tomorrow so will take a closer look at it over the weekend and post some more piccies.
Woody
What's the capacity on that tank?
Chris Pincetich
That is really cool shades.gif
beerchug.gif
moggy
Capacity is 1 1/2 gallons
moggy
Ok. Now I've got her home and had a good look. There are 2 baffles in it, one that is at the top, you can see the ringed indentation at the top of the tank just befor it cones in at the top where it sits internally. The other baffle is in the main tank body and kinda follows the writing on the outside.

The question I throw to the group is..... To stop the oil draining back into the engine every time I switch off has anyone installed a solenoid into the system wired to the ignition? If I don't stop this from happening I can see no oil lubricating at all for the first few seconds as the tank will be empty.
mrbubblehead
the oil pump blocks most of the oil from back filling the case. my tank holds 12 us qts. so i have a lot of head pressure. mine only leaks MAYBE 1 qt a week back into the case.

i had you very same concerns.... an even have a 3/4 inch solenoid valve in my drawer that i never plumbed in. now i dont even think about it any more. if my car was gonna store my car over winter, i would probly start it once a month just to remove the oil out of the case. i wouldnt want to let any more than 4 qts seep back into the case. if your car sits for a week, pull the dip stick and see what your seepage rate is to put you mind at ease....
moggy
QUOTE(mrbubblehead @ Sep 15 2013, 01:35 PM) *

the oil pump blocks most of the oil from back filling the case. my tank holds 12 us qts. so i have a lot of head pressure. mine only leaks MAYBE 1 qt a week back into the case.

i had you very same concerns.... an even have a 3/4 inch solenoid valve in my drawer that i never plumbed in. now i dont even think about it any more. if my car was gonna store my car over winter, i would probly start it once a month just to remove the oil out of the case. i wouldnt want to let any more than 4 qts seep back into the case. if your car sits for a week, pull the dip stick and see what your seepage rate is to put you mind at ease....

That's great info, just the sort of hands-on experience I was looking for. Thanks. I'll see how she goes....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.