Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a little advice on paint?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
adiokyro
hiya--
have my 73 914 2.0 over at mcmarks, (i bought this car off ebay and was way more rusty than advertised).
--i bought conedodgers monster motor!!
---I am (gulp) 10k into rust repair and chassis stiffening. (it was really bad)

NOW--it is going to paint. I want to get a great paint job, but must be under 10k. the painter suggests single stage paint and ive read there are advantages, BUT I really like the bling of 2 stage, and I have rechromed the bumpers and am running polished fuchs.
---so any advice on paint for a 914? general cost of a good job, brand/paint systems, and whether to go with single or multi stage?

car will be kept in a garage, occasionally auto crossed and tracked.

--------I am so farther into this car financially than i ever expected but.....well.....i hope i have a lot of fun. ive wanted a 914 sine i was 12yo (im 43) bye1.gif
adiokyro
here is some rust repair pics:

http://www.originalcustoms.com/invoice/images.php?p=176

mark is a master with metal....
scotty b
the cost of the job depends on the condition of the car and what you want in the end. To keep it lower cost and good quality I use PPG's Shop Line. It's about 1/2 the cost of Deltron which is the high end PPG. Single stage isn't going to be all that much cheaper and requires more maintenence. Single vs 2 stage makes no difference with " bling " factor.
rick 918-S
This is all personal preference. I personally like the look of solid colors done in a single stage urethane finish. If you have a great booth and super clean conditions you can shoot it and leave it as it comes off the gun. If you want to cut and buff it, it looks like the best factory original paint job you'll ever see. The depth of reflection is clear but soft. Not plastic looking.

Then again for anything metallic or pear tone I like clear. It aids in the depth and three dimensional flop. Modern paint for modern cars. But that's just me.

Here's an example of what I'm posting about. This is single stage Nason urethane off the gun, no cut and buff.
scotty b
For reference. These two are shop line. The orange is single stage, green is 2 stage
scotty b
This one is Deltron. The difference is the color will be truer and the solid content is much higher so it takes less coats to get full coverage.
rick 918-S
BTW: Nason was less than half the cost of Chroma One Which I prefer. But a 3 quart (gallon with activator) was just shy of $ 900.00. No activator, no reducer, no two part sealer.

I think I purchased everything for around $550.00 in the Nason line. Oh, and I purchased 6 quarts of paint.
rick 918-S
That Deltron 365 looks near factory. Hard car to shoot. Nice work man!

I agree with Scotty. Price is all about the amount of man hours it takes to product the end result.

Even 8 hours extra prep and take a car to a whole new level. Quality is conforming to what the requirements are. What do you require?
scotty b
went through hell hand mixing that color to get it right dry.gif Probably close to 10 hours mixing,spraying,remixing, respraying etc
rick 918-S
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 7 2013, 11:26 PM) *

went through hell hand mixing that color to get it right dry.gif Probably close to 10 hours mixing,spraying,remixing, respraying etc

I hear ya! That's why I ended up buying 6 quarts. I sprayed out a quart of solids just tinting that Ravenna. Still too pea colored in my opinion. But I'm a picky bastard.
adiokyro
hey guys thank you so much, that is very helpful. hey scotty is that single stage deltron on the 356 or 2 stage?
scotty b
QUOTE(adiokyro @ Sep 8 2013, 07:47 AM) *

hey guys thank you so much, that is very helpful. hey scotty is that single stage deltron on the 356 or 2 stage?

2 stage. I usually don't put single on the really nice jobs unless the customer really wants it. If you've ever seen an old car with original paint you probably noticed how all of the edges were worn through and there were thin/bare spots all over the place. ( they call it patina now rolleyes.gif ) that is from single stage paint being buffed, rubbed on etc all these years. 2 stage is more like glass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.