Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Snow Chains for the SUV
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
So, I have been told that I will need snow chains when traveling from the Bay area to Tahoe for snowboarding in a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any suggestions for using these on a 2002 GMC Yukon with 265/70/16 tires? What is a good brand/type to look for? TIA.

-Britain
joea9146
I only have run chains on my Tractor.... But maybe you can get some additional Information
from here.

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml_chains.html
Downunderman
Konig
Rhodes71/914
Not sure if you have Les Schwab there in the bay area but you can buy chains there and if you don't use them you can take them back after the winter and get a full refund.

Not sure what the law is in Cali but here in Oregon they require you to carry chains when traveling over the passes and on occasions when it is really nasty they will make you stop and put them on. That being said I have never used chains on any 4wd vehicle and I don't use studded tires. It is doubtfull that you will use them at all the Yukon should rally through most conditions that the Sierras through at you.

Plus chains suck to drive on, you gotta go slow and if you throw one it does wonders to your paint job.
fiid
You should buy some chains and carry them in the vehicle. I have a Subaru and they normally just wave me through - if you have AWD or 4WD you will probably be alright, but it's good to have them on hand in case it gets really hairy.
sixnotfour
Last Christmas , I left Seattle wa went to LA CA Picked up a Bridgeport mill in the back of my dually, Stooped near San Fran picked up EDDIE914's car on a trailer got 2 miles into oregon
and all Hell broke loose , wrecks, lots of snow Chained up the dually , and three other peolples cars moved about ahalf of mile ,road closed to many wrecks . Snowmobiles brought water and sandwiches for everone .30 hours later a big ass snow plow at 9:30 the second night came busting threw the snow, thru a chain to me pulled me to the top. I never stooped glad to get outta there.
Good news is I had just ate and gassed up in Yreka and in the 914-6 was about 3 years of Panoramas.
Read em all. Had les schawb regular old chains workrd great.
BTY you'd be suprised how many trucker dont have chains.
Be Prepared driving.gif
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 13 2004, 10:57 AM)
Last Christmas , I left Seattle wa went to LA CA Picked up a Bridgeport mill in the back of my dually, Stooped near San Fran picked up EDDIE914's car on a trailer got 2 miles into oregon
and all Hell broke loose , wrecks, lots of snow Chained up the dually , and three other peolples cars moved about ahalf of mile ,road closed to many wrecks . Snowmobiles brought water and sandwiches for everone .30 hours later a big ass snow plow at 9:30 the second night came busting threw the snow, thru a chain to me pulled me to the top. I never stooped glad to get outta there.
Good news is I had just ate and gassed up in Yreka and in the 914-6 was about 3 years of Panoramas.
Read em all. Had les schawb regular old chains workrd great.
BTY you'd be suprised how many trucker dont have chains.
Be Prepared driving.gif

Hey I remember that storm, so you were one of the people stuck on Siskyou (sp) pass. Man we had to big dumps around Christmas/New Years last year.
McMark
If you get cable chains they are much less annoying (quieter) and much easier to put on, but are also much more expensive. Regular chains usually run about $50 - $70, cable chains are $120+. If you plan on just getting a set to keep in the vehicle forever, get some cable chains. I think they're worth it.
scruz914
Britain,

It is rare, very rare, that chains are needed if you have a four wheel drive. The only times I know of are: late at night when it is snowing heavily and the road crews are having trouble clearing the snow and if you are driving on steep and twisty roads or a driveway with lots of snow/ice. I have a cabin in Tahoe (West Shore) and have never had to use chains. (Carl Cilker is on the West Shore too so he may chime in here.) I don't carry them and have never been asked to show them. I have both a Suburban and Audi A4 and both do really well in various conditions. Caltrans does an excellent job of keeping the major roads cleared. My suggestion is that if you are not used to driving in the snow just take it easy and go slower than you think you should. Most of all watch out for the other guy. There are some real crazies out there that think they are Superman with four wheel drive. Four wheel drive only allows you to move forward and backward with minimal chance of getting stuck. It helps a little with cornering in slippery conditions and it does not help with stopping. Your anti lock will kick in often.

Where are you going in Tahoe?

Have fun!

-Jeff
Britain Smith
Well, my Yukon is actually 2WD. I like the cables and will probably go that route. Do I need to get a set of four or only a pair for the front tires? How often are they needed for a trip out to Tahoe? I will be going the second week in Jan.

-Britain
McMark
You only need them for the driven wheels.
scruz914
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 13 2004, 04:47 PM)
Well, my Yukon is actually 2WD. I like the cables and will probably go that route. Do I need to get a set of four or only a pair for the front tires? How often are they needed for a trip out to Tahoe? I will be going the second week in Jan.

-Britain

Oh, well that is a different story.

As said, you only need them for the driven wheels, so one set for the rear. You can go two ways. Cheap or not cheap. Cheap will get you cables or thin chains that will last one to five uses. I have seen a lot of cables on the side of 80 over the years. They are fairly easy to put on, don't give you a bumpy ride, and have a fair amount of grip. Thin chains aren't even worth it. Ask around and you might find someone with an older set of nice heavy duty chains that will fit your tires. I have a set that my Dad bought for our Mercury and I used on a Safari van. If you buy them you are looking for strong connections between the cross links and the perimeter chain. You also want an easy to work clasp.

No matter what you head up to Tahoe with do a dry test fit at home. Chains or cables never fit out of the box. I would do a test fit and remove the extra length (leave a little extra) at home. With chains or cables get two sets of rubber tighteners per wheel. You do not want anything getting loose. After driving a few miles get out and check for things getting loose. You may want to tighten up a few links. I also used to also run a wire (12ga) through the few extra links on the chains to keep them under control.

Get a small plastic bin to put your chains or cables in and add the following:
Towel
Small plastic tarp
Leather or cloth w/rubber gloves
12 ga wire
Maybe extra quick links if you borrow used chains

I also made a short platform with a groove to help get the chains on easily. You put one cross link in the groove and drive the tire onto the platform. The groove was just deep enough to allow the cross link to slide back and forth. I can draw a picture if you want. Makes all of the difference when you are trying to minimize the time you are on your knees in the freezing cold.

You may want to have a chain installer put them on for you. They are registered and if your chains are in good shape and pretty well sized there is little risk of problems.

You never know when you will need chains. Two years ago I put the Suburban in four wheel drive at Colfax and didn't take it out until going back through Colfax three days later. Chains were required this last Thanksgiving weekend. You can watch the weather forecast, chances are you will not need them, but you never know.

Good luck and have fun. You didn't say where you are going.

-Jeff
Britain Smith
I will be in South Lake Tahoe snowboarding at Heavenly.

Which brand should I got out and look for?

Thanks for all your help by the way.

-Britain
scruz914
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Dec 13 2004, 06:32 PM)
I will be in South Lake Tahoe snowboarding at Heavenly.

Which brand should I got out and look for?

Thanks for all your help by the way.

-Britain

Britian,

I have not been to Heavenly in a long time. That place is huge and getting bigger.

I am not up on the brands. You will need to get heavy duty cables to handle the weight and tire size of the Yukon. Expect to pay over $60. Here are a few web sites that may help out.

tirechain.com

pewagchain

Info on installation and brand recomendation for light trucks:

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/howto/art...90/article.html

First place to try is Kragens. Ski shops also carry the higher end cables. Make sure you get rubber tensioners and do a dry run at home!

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Jeff
Britain Smith
You think that these will do the trick?

IPB Image

Or would you go with something a bit more rugged?

IPB Image

or

IPB Image
Eddie914
SixNotFour!

Thanks again for bringing the 914 up to Seattle.

After two days and 500 miles there was still snow on the 914!

Chains:

For most applications on the interstate where you are mostly trying to appease the authorities, cables are my choice.

If you are up to the axles off the beaten path, nothing beats the X-pattern link chains with "V-Bars".

Eddie

ps: I had a set of link chains off a semi for my motorhome (had to cut a few inches off to get them to fit). Fabulous traction. Major PITA to install.
Eddie914
Sorry for not down-sizing the picture!

Eddie
Rhodes71/914
I feel compelled to tell you to do a practice install just so you are not sitting on the side of the road, in the snow, crawling around trying to figure out how they go on. I know most of us here are at least somewhat mechanicaly inclined, and most likely would have no trouble, a few minutes in the driveway can save a lot of frustration on the road.
Carl
Jeff and others have given good advice here. There have been times that chains are necessary for the trip to Tahoe especially with 2wd.

It's a good idea to have a block of wood with a groove cut in it so you can roll the tire on top of it to install the chains. Another thought is to have a couple of big, plastic garbage bags to lie on in the snow when installing/removing chains. The only thing worse than crawling under the car at night in freezing weather with numb fingers and trying to install the stupid things is getting wet in the process.

Bring a good flashligh with fresh batteries.

A second jacket and gloves that can get wet and grubby is good to have in the back of the car.

Bring some heavy guage wire (single strand), pliers, water pump pliers and heavy wire cutters. The wire is for temporary repairs to broken links. The pliers are for closing the clips when installing the chains and if you need to repair the chains on the road.

Use cable chains on cars with tight space around the wheel well. If you've got room, and you should with the Sub, get the full chains. They're more of a hassle to put on but they'll give you better traction.

The main annoyance of driving with chains is when they're loose and bang on the inside of the wheel well. Jeff's suggestion of rubber "spiders" is a good one since there's no way you can get all the chain links oriented properly when you're lying in the snow. Get the chains as tight at you can then put the spiders on. They really help. Also, attach one of the spider hooks to any loose links at the attachment clip so they don't bang on the fender.

Practice in your driveway first then put on gloves, three jackets, close your eyes and do it again with someone pouring icewater on you.

Mel Cotton's on San Carlos in San Jose has a good chain selection.

Chains are a PITA. I hate 'em, I hate 'em, I hate 'em. But when you need 'em you need 'em. Chains are why God invented Jeeps.

The CHP can require 4wd cars to carry chains but they normally close major highways before requiring them on 4wd with mud/snow tires.
scruz914
QUOTE(Carl @ Dec 14 2004, 12:00 AM)
Bring a good flashligh with fresh batteries.
A second jacket and gloves that can get wet and grubby is good to have in the back of the car.

Add to that a coat and gloves for the wife so she can hold the flashlight for you.

Bring some heavy guage wire (single strand), pliers, water pump pliers and heavy wire cutters.  The wire is for temporary repairs to broken links.  The pliers are for closing the clips when installing the chains and if you need to repair the chains on the road.

Add these things to the list I started. I would also add a large screwdriver for prying links around.

Use cable chains on cars with tight space around the wheel well.  If you've got room, and you should with the Sub, get the full chains.  They're more of a hassle to put on but they'll give you better traction.

If you plan on going often and can afford them chains are the way to go. The X pattern is after my time but I like the way they look. Might give a smoother drive and have a pretty good bite.

Practice in your driveway first then put on gloves, three jackets, close your eyes and do it again with someone pouring icewater on you.

I would add your wife holding the flashlight to the practice session. Make sure at least half of the icewater goes on her. biggrin.gif

Mel Cotton's on San Carlos in San Jose has a good chain selection.

Good suggestion.

Chains are a PITA.  I hate 'em, I hate 'em, I hate 'em.  But when you need 'em you need 'em.  Chains are why God invented Jeeps.

I couldn't agree more. That is why I have two four wheel drive vehicles. I can still remember my first trip in the Suburban with chain controls. The whole family was laughing with joy because I did not have to get out and put on the chains. Just a simple shift of the control lever and a wave to the Caltrans guy. boldblue.gif

Britian, Don't let our stories scare you. They are from many years of Winter Sierra traveling. The point is you will have more fun if you are better prepared for what can be a trip killer.

-Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.