Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ECU reliability/ rebuildability
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Shindog1961
I'm sure this has been discussed, but I've searched and can't find anything. How reliable are 40 year old ECU's? Second does anyone rebuild them, if so how much more reliable are they?
Cap'n Krusty
Extremely low failure rate, even after 40 years. Rebuilt units are done by a few companies, most of which shouldn't be in the 914 component business.

The Cap'n
eyesright
Surely some enterprising computer science genius among us has considered a new production ECU which, with modern electronic components, could be condensed to a board the size of a post card. The old one is a big box stuck in a hot environment...

But of course, like the Capt said, the old ones rarely fail, and there are probably more ECU's out there than intact 914's.

One thing I like about 914's is what they did with the available knowledge back then. Add a little better up to date sealing around the top and windows and a cable shifter and I probably wouldn't keep my MR-2.

reharvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 8 2013, 04:19 PM) *

Extremely low failure rate, even after 40 years. Rebuilt units are done by a few companies, most of which shouldn't be in the 914 component business.

The Cap'n

agree.gif In 30 years of driving these cars I'm never had one fail. I've seen them with the metal housing rust off and they still worked!
914Sixer
Well built with no problems. I the ONLY one I saw that failed had been tilted up under the battery tray and the water and acid ate it up. Never a internal component problem. The ECU got a bad rap because of the lack of training of the people working on the system. biggrin.gif
timothy_nd28
agree.gif Not worth changing or revising when the original works fine
damesandhotrods
At this stage of the game, I have more faith in olde Original German components then anything I can buy made new from Chinese parts…
Shindog1961
Thanks all! And everyone agrees. beerchug.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(eyesright @ Sep 8 2013, 04:02 PM) *
Surely some enterprising computer science genius among us has considered a new production ECU which, with modern electronic components, could be condensed to a board the size of a post card. The old one is a big box stuck in a hot environment...

Not worth it. The ECU is an analog computer, not digital--and there aren't that many people around now that are good with analog ones. Anyone who wants to improve on the stock system can replace it with Megasquirt or one of a dozen different types of aftermarket system.

I have had one ECU fail on me, BTW. One of the output stages failed, causing the injectors to open and never close again. It hydro-locked the motor after a while, which was unpleasant.

--DD
worn
QUOTE(eyesright @ Sep 8 2013, 03:02 PM) *

could be condensed to a board the size of a post card. The old one is a big box stuck in a hot environment...

The smart guys might be able to replicate the hot environment (where new components would fail) but digital would have a hard time with this. If you look at D-Jet and then back at CIS systems you see that the engineers had an amazing feel for the needs of the car under different load conditions and how to get that transferred to fuel delivery. I swear those guys had better maps of volumetric efficiency bouncing around in their heads than most modern cars have programmed in.

I wouldn't mind seeing someone completely map a standard engine and make a chip available, but till that comes - buy used.
pt_700
the exception that proves the rule?

one failed on my 1.7 djet. took both myself and a mechanic several hours each to check the fundamentals before coming to that conclusion. a $75 replacement from a fellow here finally got my poor 914 back on the road.
stugray

It is called a megasquirt (or microsquirt)
TheCabinetmaker
I've only seen 3 fail ever, all in the last year. They are 40 years old now. They might be failing more frequently because of their age.
Drums66
...I've seen 2 fail, both 1.8's idea.gif(& 2, 911's)
bye1.gif flag.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.