Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: welding when cold
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Is there a problem or will there be any ill effects of welding this winter in my unheated garage? It could easily be in the 20s in my garage while welding, will this mess up the metal or my weld? Should I try heating the metal up first with a space heater or torch? It seems like the rapid cooling of the metal after welding due to the ambient temps could cause some bad trap stresses, but I don't know if that would actually be the case. Anyone know?

-Chris
tdgray
The biggest problem I can think of is condensation. Cold metal to instant hot metal is going to give quite a bit of surface condensation.

Why not just get an infrared LP heater? Saves toes too biggrin.gif
type11969
do I have to worry about fumes with the infrared heater? What about cost?

Anyone else with ideas about welding cold metal?
Root_Werks
I just did a ton of welding last night in my garage which was sitting around 32 degrees or so. I know, not 20, but still frost on the ground. My parts were fine and I even painted them while the metal was still "warm". I checked them this morning before leaving for work and they look great. welder.gif Welding rocks. mueba.gif
URY914
What are you guys talking about??? happy11.gif

(sorry couldn't resist)

P
michel richard
Don't know what the theory is, but I've welded with gas and with Mig at pretty low temperatures (well into the twenties, I'm sure) without a problem. Especially with gas, after a little while, the whole garage warms up, in any event.

HTH

Michel Richard
Root_Werks
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 13 2004, 07:14 AM)

(sorry couldn't resist)

P

:finger2: Yeah yeah. Well, my garage is insulated and sheetrocked. Just no heat as of yet. Actually, I have found if I pull a recently run car into the garage and close all the doors, then leave for about 15 minutes. When I come back, it isn't 70 degrees, but much, much warmer than the 32 outside.
Joe Bob
Bondo sure hardens a lot slower in <_< cold weather......
RON S.
I've done all my welding outdoors,I dont be gots no fully enclosed garage to enjoy.
No ill effects to report,the longer you weld,the better the results.
Remember,as you weld,your torch,and tips always stay warm.And,your work piece will not cool down THAT fast.
It just takes practice.

Ron
elwood-914
QUOTE(URY914 @ Dec 13 2004, 07:14 AM)

(sorry couldn't resist)

P

Yeah, what you guys talking about when voting!
(sorry I couldn't resist)
type11969
thanks for the response!

-Chris
kkelly
A 90 F day would be better.

In general, to get the best quality welds it is best to preheat the weld area. With 4130 steel, you should preheat to 375 F. But since, our cars are not going into outer space - you are probably okay.

A bigger problem is how quickly the weld cools. Keep the welding area out of any air currents. ( As someone else said: "Don't even let your cat breathe")
tracks914
I've welded outside on a dam @ -35*. Never had a weld fail.
I wouldn't do any high pressure welding without preheating or structural welding without controlled cooling but for mickey mouse welding on a car, go for it. Your metal is so thin that it heats up instantly and cool down just as fast.
Remember, your arc temperature is about 11,000*F and your motlen metal can be several thousand degrees. The difference between 32*F and 60*F isn't all that great. Just try to keep the moisture away from the weld area by taking a blow torch and warm it up a bit to feel better about it.
type11969
sounds good, thanks!

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.