Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: best book for 2.7 build and mods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chad newton
I am looking for the best book on 2.7 engine mods. I heard one of the book writers favored the 2.7 and want to know what was done to his. If someone has the book and wants to get rid of it or let me barrow it let me know.
mtn flyr
Not sure of the 'best book' but Wayne Dempsey"s book How To Build and Modify Porsche 911 engines 1965 to 1989 should be a good start. Does have some recommendations on 2.7s btw....
rudedude
The late Bruce Anderson's 911 Performance Handbook is a very good reference
pcar916
Ditto on the above references. But in Bruce Anderson's book the magnesium 2.7L case had both TimeCerts to anchor the through bolts, and shuffle pins to keep the case halves from losing alignment from vibration. 2.7 cases are expensive to recondition because they're all tweaked by now.

TimeCerts are excellent but time has proven that, in this application, shuffle pins cause more problems than they solve so don't do those. I've had machine work done on every mag case and had the mating surfaces trued and crank/intermediate shaft align-bored back to (preferably std OD) bearings whatever the crank needed. Then of course you'll use thicker cylinder base seals than before to get proper head fitment after the material is removed from the case mating surfaces.

Head studs should be steel and never Dilivar, if you can even find those now. That is one Porsche engine that should never be overbuilt. The "E" spec in Bruce's book is about as much as I'd build for reliability.

A 3.2 will cost about the same to buy and build and last longer, but my 2.7 was fantastic and didn't weigh as much. A friend wanted that 2.7 for his race car, and he had a 3.6 I wanted so we swapped... with cash also going in his general direction. Before that unexpected exchange I had planned on rebuilding the 2.7 after about 100K miles.

Good luck
GeorgeRud
The 2.7 is really a fun engine when built up, but does need special care. Anything that hasn't been rebuilt is now over 36 years old, and I don't think Porsche really planned to have these last this long.

Forget Timeserts and go right to Case savers. Throw out Dilivar studs and replace with steel ones (Henry Schmidt at Supertec has some great ones). Switching to RS pistons, bumping up the camshafts to E or S specs, and getting rid of the CIS system will make for a wonderful engine. Not cheap, but none of these engines are anymore.
JmuRiz
I agree with George, that's the best route to go if you can afford it.
Case Savers
Supertec studs
RS pistons and a cam change
Webers or EFI
chad newton
Thanks guys, it has had work done to it but I have no idea what other then what I see. My buddy I got it from said that its is one one the strongest engines he has seen com through his shop. All he dose is build porsche and vw so I trust his opinion. But, I will eventually am going to tear it apart and build somthing alittle better so all the info I can come up on is a plus.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.