Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: C/V joint boot clamps
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
Good morning everyone. Is it OK to use zip ties instead of the metal band clamps to hold the boots in place on my C/V joints

I have the correct clamps but I don't have the tool to crimp them on

Thanks

David
Jonathan Livesay
Sure as long as you can get them equally as tight as the clamps. dry.gif
dangrouche
I have used a nail nipper to crimp those metal bands. I have used zip ties as well. I would periodically check on those zip ties since heat can make those thing brittle and it would fall off. I would worry less if the zip ties are 3M brand, not the china brand from Harbor Freight.
worn
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Sep 9 2013, 08:21 AM) *

I have used a nail nipper to crimp those metal bands. I have used zip ties as well. I would periodically check on those zip ties since heat can make those thing brittle and it would fall off. I would worry less if the zip ties are 3M brand, not the china brand from Harbor Freight.

Why not use stainless steel zip ties here?
malcolm2
QUOTE(worn @ Sep 9 2013, 11:23 AM) *

Why not use stainless steel zip ties here?

I got some of those from O'Reilly Auto Parts and I just could not get it very tight. I went with the black zip tie. I saw several pictures on here and just did it.

Sounds like a good tip to check periodically. If I ever find any clamps like in the haynes or climer manual, I'll buy them, but this should get me rolling.
Harpo
I have never heard of a SS zip tie. Only SS hose clamps
stugray
I dont know how big they go, but the sprinkler system "crimp-rings" for poly tubing are about the same.
The tool for crimping those looks exactly like a set of tile pliers, just with dull edges
r_towle
QUOTE(dangrouche @ Sep 9 2013, 12:21 PM) *

I have used a nail nipper to crimp those metal bands.

Typical tool available at most tool stores.

rich
shoguneagle
Take a couple of hose clamps that will fit around the CV joint and rubber; put the adjustment screws approximately opposite sides and tighten; these are the worm screw type; balance is approximately equal and does the job.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 9 2013, 07:49 AM) *

Good morning everyone. Is it OK to use zip ties instead of the metal band clamps to hold the boots in place on my C/V joints

Thanks

David

I also have a new set of boots and clamps and no tool. I was planning on using a wire cutter with a few layers of electrical tape on the sharp edges to insure that I don't cut the clamp. Plan B would be to buy a cheap wire cutter from HF and file the edges dull.
914forme
I have used these in the past. And this tool, done!
r_towle
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Sep 10 2013, 09:40 PM) *

QUOTE(Harpo @ Sep 9 2013, 07:49 AM) *

Thanks

David

I also have a new set of boots and clamps and no tool. I was planning on using a wire cutter with a few layers of electrical tape on the sharp edges to insure that I don't cut the clamp. Plan B would be to buy a cheap wire cutter from HF and file the edges dull.

You won't damage stainless steel with wire cutters.
Just use them as is, it will be fine.
I do it all the time with nail cutters or wire cutters.
Cap'n Krusty
Are we talking about the big end, or the end on the axle. The new boots come crimped in the metal flange, and you really don't need the small ends to be clamped. If you have the outdated style boots, end cutters work fine as a clamping tool, albeit the leverage is poor and the effort high.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.