Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ignitiion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
martinef1963
72, 1.9L, 914, changed plastic ignition switch, tumbler, starter, but at times doesn't want to crank after I've taken her out for spin? I bought a low voltage boost and it was working like a charm, then all of a sudden - POP - it starts to blow the fuse on the voltage booter thingamajig - I've checked the ground to which it was originally grounded to (battery ground cable) and it still has a good contact. Can it be the alternator? headbang.gif

Anybody out there having/have had similar experience?

thanks,

PS: thanks to all who helped out on the exhaust studs - hili-coiled them and have been officially graduated from a real rookie, to just a rookie. beer.gif
Root_Werks
When things get warm (wires), they tend to build up more resistance. The ground cables may look fine, but if they are old, replace them, all of them. One from battery to chassis and the one from the trans to the chassis.

Next, check the terminal (little one) at the starter. The trigger wire. Sometimes the female end on the wire is not making a good contact. I have replaced a few of those and had a few folks say thier starting problems went away.

I don't know all what you have already done, but check, clean, replace, clean, clean and then clean some more. smile.gif
scruz914
Connect a heavy (10 ga.) wire to the extra spade connector (50?) on the starter. Run it through the sheet metal into the engine compartment over to the battery. You can turn the motor over by touching the end of the wire to the positive terminal. It will spark and might weld to the terminal if you don't make a firm connection so be careful. I use the wire to start the car in a pinch when the ignition doesn't turn it over. It is not a solution though just a workaround until I get the ingnition switich, ground, etc. problems resolved.

-Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.