Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: What to look out for when buying a 993?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
I'm looking at a '95 993 that is in very nice shape (obviously been cared for) with less than 90k miles.

Anything in particular to look out for with these cars?
idea.gif
pcar916
You told ME about the engine harness recall so...

Valve guides/seals are an issue with this model so the normal compression/leakdown stuff applies.

If the car wasn't driven often enough there could be multiple oil leaks above the sound cover. The lower valve cover gaskets are usually toast by then if they haven't been replaced.

I've seen three with loose power-steering hoses at the pump. Weird but consistently true. They simply needed to be tightened back down.

Most folks didn't bleed the brakes enough and there be a lot of crap in there.

993's are solid machines and I love those cars... except changing the oil. That's not any fun.
r_towle
missing donor engine???
Woody
Valve guides won't show up on a leakdown test. At that mileage I would want to make sure they've been done. Check for secondary air injection faults. Make sure the engine harness recall has been done if it applies. Great cars overall.
biosurfer1
Make sure the check engine light is working. Good move looking at a '95 in CA since it won't fail smog if the SAI is plugged since it's ODBI.

Most of the issues I read about when I was looking were engine related and since you have a 3.6, I think you'll know most of them,
Steve
Tony is the guru on 993's. I went to one of his tech sessions. The following is out of the latest Bruce Anderson book.
Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
I love my 95 993 but there are a few things that I'd stress.
1. Find out the history of the A/C system. If the condenser fan resister pack died and the A/C system got too warm (ran in stop and go traffic with the a/c on resulting in very high refrigeration fluid pressures), it may have killed the compressor and the forced a leak in the evaporator. Compressors are cheap, but you'll spend $4k having the evaporator coil replaced.
2. Check for rust around the windshield. 993s are known for rust issues in the lower corners of the windshield.
3. Engine leaks are a thing of Air cooled motors, so nothing new on a 993.
4. Engine harness recall, which was already mentioned.
5. Rear control arm bushing do wear and at 90k, you'll probably be replacing a few if not done already. Alignments are complicated and the most expensive of any Porsche due to the weissach link in the toe link and that it needs to be aligned under lateral force.
6. The clutch pedal has a kinetic link that needs to be replaced if the pedal does not naturally return to its normal resting place.

Yes, changing the oil is more work than a normal car (two filters and you have to remove the right fairing to get to the oil tank drain (it is in front of the rear wheel) but nothing that you can't handle.

I love my 993 and would buy another if I was in the market.

Enjoy driving.gif Click to view attachment
Steve
I had a 1996 C2 Cabriolet Tiptronic. The convertible top cables would wind up and then shorten and die. The Tiptronic is only a four speed and drops the 0-60 times by a second. When the cam chain covers started leaking I got rid of it. If the car was a six speed coupe I would of kept it. With my scissor lift, changing the oil wasn't that big of a deal. It was obvious this car was an evolution when you change the oil. All the screws to remove the passenger side rocker panel and right rear fender well to get to one of the filters and drain plugs was a pain. You have to remove an oil line to get to the other filter. Check out http://p-car.com/diy/diy.html for tech articles like how to change the oil. I ended up using this site and ran into most of the problems mentioned.
SGB
Clutch/Pressure Plate/Dual mass Flywheel.

Search that on Rennlist.
SGB
how I bought it. Totaled.

Long time....
1-Painter (cash only) died in a plane crash.

2-Clutch fails in driveway after returning from frame shop

3-Chased kinematic lever issue until I finally found...

4- a hole through the transaxle case from where the pressure plate disintegrated.

Right now I am waiting for the rebuilt title.... piratenanner.gif
Cap'n Krusty
There are known issues with the supplementary air injection system. Pretty major job ................ Won't smog with this problem (and, of course, the CEL will be illuminated).

The Cap'n
AZ914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 9 2013, 09:05 PM) *

There are known issues with the supplementary air injection system. Pretty major job ................ Won't smog with this problem (and, of course, the CEL will be illuminated).

The Cap'n

That should only be on the 96+ Varioram models.
messix
most important and detrimental is the absolute certainly that it will shrink your penis! happy11.gif
Jake Raby
SAI and valve guides are by far the biggest 993 concerns.

I have a 95' 993 and like it a lot. The differences between it and my '88 Carrera are stunning as it is a much more refined vehicle in every way.
IPB Image

IPB Image

One of my customers has this 95' cab 993 for sale, its a solid car without issues, too.
He wants 32K for it and it has lots of just replaced items, to include a top.
IPB Image
billh1963
Rennlist has a very active 993 group and a search will answer every potential question you may have.

As others have mentioned, the '95 is not affected by the clogged SAI CEL issues.

My 993 C4S is the only car I regret selling...and I've owned over 70 cars....

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
sean_v8_914
the air injection nozzles get clogged. if you drop the exhaust, you can reem them clear going up thru the exh ports. book calls for an eng drop
timothy_nd28
Are these injector clogged with bypass oil crud from leaking valve guides?
billh1963
SAI

Nine_14
Don't buy a Targa modell, always tension problems with the targa roof.

Congra for your choise, the 993 Model is the most pretty 911 ever build.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.