Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: More electrical gremlins
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Headlights, fog lights, front side marker lights and license plate lights are working correctly.

Other lights are a disaster. Here is what is going on:

Hazards don't work (new relay ordered).

Brake lights don't work - will be checking brake light switch behind pedal cluster tomorrow.

Front & Rear parking lights come on and stay on as soon as the key is turned (fronts are very dim).

When I use the right turn signal, this is what I see:

RF-right front
LF-left front
RR-right rear
LR-left rear

RF - operates normally
LF - has constant dim glow from driving light
RR - flashes, but brake/parking light flash when turn signal light cycles off
LR - no activity

When I apply the left turn signal, this is what happens:

RF - constant dim glow from driving light
LF - operates normally
RR - no activity
LR - flashes, but brake/parking light flash when turn signal light cycles off

Dropped the fuse block down and tested all the round relays.

Any suggestions on where to start?
02loftsmoor
check your ground, with the dim driving light it looking for ground
Elliot Cannon
See if you can check a wiring diagram and check all the wires going to the tail lights. There are lots of wires going to those lights and it's not hard to hook them up wrong. It sounds like a few wires might be on the wrong terminals.
saigon71
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Sep 9 2013, 08:12 PM) *

See if you can check a wiring diagram and check all the wires going to the tail lights. There are lots of wires going to those lights and it's not hard to hook them up wrong. It sounds like a few wires might be on the wrong terminals.

aktion035.gif aktion035.gif aktion035.gif

Spent the day cleaning grounds and checking connections. 90% of my electrical problems came from the tail light wiring - it was affecting a lot of stuff. I had marked each wire the way it came off and installed them the same way. Problem is that they were installed incorrectly when I bought the car. Broke out the Haynes manual and was able to identify where the five wire connections back there should go by using the current flow diagram. All exterior lights are now fully operational.

Adjusted brake switch lever and the brake lights work now too!

Thanks! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.