Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: has anyone ever made a muffler
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
freezing14
Ok got eveything running , but my exhaust will need replacing, just the can,, i know they are not really expensive but i am cheap so,,,i have a bunch of stainless stell sheet and i want to make my own muffler, i will try to reproduce the mounting of the original 1.7 ,,so I will enter from the side just like the original but i want to do a double exhaust exit,, but i do not know how to set up the baffles to keep noise down , any idea

freezz
Root_Werks
Oh man, don't do that. It sounds like a bunch of work. laugh.gif

I have a 1.7 muffler you can HAVE. I believe it is all there and should just bolt on and go. I am on the West Coast about 2 1/2 hours from the border. You pay to ship it or come get it and you can have it. wink.gif
freezing14
thanks for the offer,, i will very likely take it,, but before i go i wanna see what kind of response i get, i figured out that it would be a big B to make but it would be unique, it depends on what kind of info i get about how to correctly construct the middle of it,, the rest is easy, it is just the freakin baffle i wonder about
scooter311
Hey yo Freeze I have a Monza 4 tip I wanna get rid of, cheeeeep. It's in great shape. I plan on making my own out of a banana style, if I can find one. (another winter project)

If you want, maybe we can meet halfway or something, or figure something out if you want it.

It's for a 2.0?
freezing14
hey scooter,, it is for a 1.7 would it work??? otherwise seems like a plan
scooter311
Ooo, I'm not certain - I think they're different.......

Anyone know for sure? It looks like it could fit, but I think the heat exchangers are of different outlets and flange sizes.........
Root_Werks
It is the placement of the flanges. The 1.7 is different than a 2.0. I beleive the 1.7's sit up higher? idea.gif
freezing14
I went on the monza web site and they list 2 different number for the 1.7 and the 2.0,, i think it has to do with the fact that the 1.t has an upward bend just before the muffler as the 2.0 are strait??????? any confirmation here??? <_<
Root_Werks
QUOTE(freezing14 @ Dec 13 2004, 01:14 PM)
i think it has to do with the fact that the 1.t has an upward bend just before the muffler as the 2.0 are strait

Yep. cool.gif
scooter311
Yeah, my 1.7 monz-ter was of a slightly different design from the 2.0, but I don't know if anyone has done the switch. I heard you can use the 2.0 HEs on a 1.7/1.8, but I'm unsure of the muffler itself only...
I know of a 1.7 locally, but it's pretty rotted out, you'd be better off monster-garaging one together. rolleyes.gif
I'm looking for a 2.0 banana style, because I wanna weld up the single outlet and make it into a 911-sport style.

Crapola.....
freezing14
I will have a look tonight to see how i can monster garage the He to be lower,, what king of cheep are you thinking, as I might monster it anyway

Freezz
scooter311
How about this, if you can find me a 2.0 banana-style muffler for a 73/74 you can have it?

I would just need something to replace it with that I can hack up myself!
cool.gif
Joe Bob
A double exhaust requires a different flow.....go to the "little winkie" site.... www.pelicanparts.com , click on 911 BBS and do a search on "sport muffler". There more than a few schematics on how to modify and/or build one.
tracks914
Hey freezz, try this.
Take apart your old muffler and reuse your baffles inside.
That's what I am doing right now only I'm drilling out the baffles to get a bit better air flow then re wrapping it with SS.
Read this Muffler thread
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.