Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 conversion advice needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TC/914
I just picked up a 300ci aluminum head Buick motor that I had built for an MGB conversion. I'm selling the MG as is and planning on installing the Buick in the 914 for a time. The engine is a cast iron block with the same rear casting as the 3.8/4.1 Buick V6, the aluminum heads are nearly exactly like those from the Rover 3.5/4.1 V8 and the front timing cover is like the one from the aluminum 215 Buick/Rover/Olds. The intake and all brackets are also aluminum so the weight is VERY low for a V8. Less than the Buick V6. It also runs very cool due to the aluminum manifold, water neck, timing cover, and water pump.

The engine is race balanced so the vibration problems are gone, and is prety much all set to go. It's got a Buick V6 flywheel and a V6 KEP adapter kit to fit it up to the trans.

I'm kinda anxious to try the install, but was wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge with this engine in a 914.

Thanks in advance,

TC
skline
I have seen a lot of conversion and checked out all combinations. that however is not one that I have heard of. Sounds interesting. What kind of power do you think you will get out of it. I would be concerned about parts availability. I would say go for it. I love being unique and have something different than everyone else. It's called individuality. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress.
Root_Werks
boldblue.gif I would do it as well. Sounds like you have most of what you already need. Oh yeah.

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
TC/914
Parts really aren't a problem. I have three other blocks and the heads are a big favorite with the TR8 crown. They bolt right on and with increased valve size are major performers. They're available from most MGB V8 conversion suppliers. The intake is a pretty rare four barrel item, the timing cover. water pump, brackets can be sourced from any V6 Buick or V8 Rover/Buick/Olds. Being kinda in with the MGB V8/TR8 crowd here in the North East is a big help with parts availability.

The builder said that torque and horse power are above 350, but another carb and header choice will push it further. Also the traditional reduction pulleys, carb spacer, and after market ignition will make a difference on the plus side as well. I guess that the trick is in the intake manifold porting, his head work, and cam choice. The intake valves came from England from the Vitesse, the exhaust valves are out of Canada from one of their GM trucks. The cam is custom Crowler grind, lifters are Chevy as are the springs, and the rockers are aftermarket roller. The push rods ended up being chromoly custom cut and he made up a set of oil drilled rocker shims to make the geometry work. Lots of fussing, but using pretty "off the shelf" parts. It's the combination that makes the engine sing, I guess.

TC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.