Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Clutch Cable?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
About to replace my clutch cable.

What is the consensus nowadays on which one to get? Terry Cable? Gemo? Porsche?

Porschef
The Gemo has worked fine for me. Had a good look at it when I dropped the engine, fine shape.
Rob-O
Thanks Porschef!
Drums66
.....If everything else is in order(pedal cluster,clutch tube etc.)
the Porsche 1, would be fine! idea.gif

bye1.gif
pcar916
I put in a Terry cable 12 years ago and it's still there workin' fine. Had good results with Porsche cables as well but the Terry cable seemed to outlast those by some years when I've installed them.
turk22
I just installed the Gemo cable, and the quality seems good.

in my opinion the maintenance of the pulley, and cleaning/lubing the pulley, and having the correct boot in place have a bigger impact on the life of the cable, then the cable itself.

Turk
pilothyer
If ????????? You can get one get a 914-6 cable ......last long time...mo better !!!
Rob-O
So it sounds like any will work well and hold up. I plan on repainting the pedal set (PO installed bronze bushings). I haven't checked the front clevis, but will change it if it looks suspect. In the rear I'll lube the pulley pivot. The rubber boot is there, as well as a metal trunion.

I'm not getting full engagement and the adjustment is at the end of the threads. I don't have a spacer on the cable (but I did buy one at Ace Hardware). But even if I can get more adjustment with the spacer, the outer sheath of the cable is gone in some spots under the engine.
sean_v8_914
the 914 six cable has different ends and is different lengths inner and outer
i like teh feel of a terry cable
Rob-O
Haven't found the Terry cable online, who has these?
larryM
piratenanner.gif

914-6 914-all clutch cable comparisons - has pics

just do a search for clutch cable - you will find more answers than you can read in one sitting

icon_bump.gif
Rob-O
Thanks Larry. I read your post when it came out awhile back. I understood that the Terry cable is a thicker gauge wind/strand, and that it's about 2 inches longer. But in reading it sounds like there have been failures with them.

On the other hand, the Gemo cable being (possibly) Chinese made doesn't sound all that great either.

I guess I expected an overwhelming response one way or another, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll try Gemo and see how it goes. It's not all that hard to change the thing out. If I don't like it (or the quality looks suspect), I can always go with something else later.
Porschef
The Gemo I installed was made in Germany, and I believe oem.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.