Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tune Up questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turk22
All,

I need to do some work on the engine, and had a couple of questions.

I would like to install a Petronix system, but currently my dwell setting is high at 53. Do I need to have the dwell in the 45-49 range prior to the Petronix going in?

I think the correct order of events would be:

- Valve Adjustment
- Dwell
- Petronix
- Timing

But not sure... any advice on the best way to sequence these. I'm also planning on Plugs, Oil change
Appreciate any advice, and even smart ass remarks..

Turk
luskesq
Dwell is not an issue with the Pertonix. When installing it the kit likely has a thin stick of plastic to set the gap. Thereafter set your timing.

Keith
TheCabinetmaker
When you pull the points, the dwell goes with them. Put them in a bag in the glove box with the condenser in case the pertronics fails.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 10 2013, 02:23 PM) *

When you pull the points, the dwell goes with them. Put them in a bag in the glove box with the condenser for WHEN the Pertronics fails.

Fixed it for ya .....................

The Cap'n
r_towle
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 10 2013, 05:25 PM) *

When you pull the points, the dwell goes with them. Put them in a bag in the glove box with the condenser, a flat screw driver and a feeler gauge for WHEN the Pertronics fails.

The Cap'n

Funny, you beat me too it.

I fixed it a bit more.
TheCabinetmaker
Dann! Plagiarism! I was trying to avoid the useless debate AGAIN!
r_towle
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Sep 10 2013, 05:30 PM) *

Dann! Plagiarism! I was trying to avoid the useless debate AGAIN!

maybe join a different forum???
TheCabinetmaker
maybe you should take your own advice?
turk22
I knew the Petronix would get some comments..

So I guess its just:
- Valve Adjustment
- Petronix
- Timing

thx, Turk
rmital
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2013, 05:26 PM) *

When you pull the points, the dwell goes with them. Put them in a bag in the glove box with the condenser, a flat screw driver and a feeler gauge for WHEN the Pertronics fails.

The Cap'n

I fixed it a bit more.

...you old guys crack me up... poke.gif
of course, I'm an AARP card holder for 3 years. Catchen' up...
timothy_nd28
Why not carry a spare module in the glovebox? confused24.gif
Drums66
....Pertronix is a better idea idea.gif (stole from ford!)
boldblue.gif bye1.gif shades.gif first.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(rmital @ Sep 10 2013, 06:52 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2013, 05:26 PM) *

The Cap'n

I fixed it a bit more.

...you old guys crack me up... poke.gif
of course, I'm an AARP card holder for 3 years. Catchen' up...

Shut up ray.....
r_towle
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Sep 10 2013, 06:57 PM) *

Why not carry a spare module in the glovebox? confused24.gif

Used points and condenser are free.
euro911
A condenser and a set of points already set at .016" in a spare dizzy makes the swap out much faster shades.gif

- Valve Adjustment
- Pertronix
- Ignition Timing
Drums66
Rich...don't forget to give the points people, a free pack of matches(& condenser)
so they can set their gaps poke.gif LOLs
flag.gif bye1.gif
turk22
All,

I see that there are two Pertronix models that are 1847v model number:

Part number: 91847V - (says it fits 73 2.0L)
Part number: 1847V - (which most on this site recommend)

Which is correct for a Stock FI '73 2.0L??

thx, Turk
euro911
From Summit Racing's web site:

"Not ones to leave well enough alone, the people at PerTronix set out to better their highly successful Ignitor® ignition conversion systems. These new Ignitor II® conversion systems have all of the same quality features as the original Ignitor®, plus a powerful microprocessor controller to deliver three to five times more available energy between 3,000 and 5,000 rpm." ...

If you have an extra $25~$30 in your budget, I'd go with the Ignitor II (91847V).
turk22
Thanks Mark,

I was on the pertronix website, and saw this warning for the Ignitor II series:

•You cannot use solid core (typically copper) spark plug wires with this product. Solid core wires do not suppress electro magnetic interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics in this product. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wires must be used.

So I was a little worried about using it...guess I could just by a wire set as well..
DRPHIL914
i dont know if they are the same exactly, but i bought a module called
"hotspark"
http://www.hot-spark.com/

had it in there for 3 years no issues, . I also have an extra dizzy in the trunk with a new set of injector points and new hotspark module, - just in case.
phil
Java2570
QUOTE(turk22 @ Sep 11 2013, 10:32 AM) *

Thanks Mark,

•You cannot use solid core (typically copper) spark plug wires with this product. Solid core wires do not suppress electro magnetic interference (EMI) which will interfere with electronics in this product. A suppression style or spiral wound spark plug wires must be used.

So I was a little worried about using it...guess I could just by a wire set as well..

I have read that our cars won't really benefit from using the Ignitor II setup....I've been happy with the
standard Ignitor I module.
Debate aside re: electronic ignition vs. points....the reason I switched to Pertronix was the quality of the new points modules is not very good. At least I know what I'm getting with Pertronix.
I agree with the idea of having a spare dizzy setup with points in case of failure....it's a good plan.
SLITS
Blah ... I use a Crane/Allison Optical Trigger Unit.
turk22
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 11 2013, 10:43 AM) *

i dont know if they are the same exactly, but i bought a module called
"hotspark"
http://www.hot-spark.com/

had it in there for 3 years no issues, . I also have an extra dizzy in the trunk with a new set of injector points and new hotspark module, - just in case.
phil

Phil, do you know what HotSpark model you have? You have a 2.0L?

QUOTE(Java2570 @ Sep 11 2013, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(turk22 @ Sep 11 2013, 10:32 AM) *

Thanks Mark,

I have read that our cars won't really benefit from using the Ignitor II setup....I've been happy with the
standard Ignitor I module.
Debate aside re: electronic ignition vs. points....the reason I switched to Pertronix was the quality of the new points modules is not very good. At least I know what I'm getting with Pertronix.
I agree with the idea of having a spare dizzy setup with points in case of failure....it's a good plan.

yea, I've been reading that as well on some searches I've done, leaning towards the 1847v
toolguy
Do one thing at a time then drive the car. . .Install the pertronix and stop. .make sure it's working correctly . . don't want to have the possibility of multiple problems to try to sort out. . .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.