Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - Playstation 2
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Engman
Well the big family present this year is a PS2. Now I need a game or two for it. I have my son 10, my two girls 13 and 17 and my older son 21. Whats good?

M
lapuwali
Gran Turismo 3 is the only thing I play on the PS2. First-person shooters tend to suck, as they're hard to control. If the 21 year old is a car nut, he'll like GT3 (and GT4, when it comes out in the spring).
Rhodes71/914
I'm having a tough time convicning my wife that we need a ps2 for our 3 y/o. Not that I would use it at all nooo. Gran Turismo is the first game I will buy, have the original for PS1 and loved it, now it's time to move up.
mike_the_man
I also really like Grand Turismo 3. Probably the best driving game there is.

Something to look into for the PS2 is called an HD Advanced. It allows you to install a hard drive in your PS2, then "backup" games on the hard drive. It reduces load times of games, and if so inclined, you could rent games, and copy them to the hard drive. Of course, I don't condone this type of behaviour, as it would be considered piracy. wink.gif
DougC
I've been wanting to get MotoGP (think that's what it's called) for the longest.. It's supposed to be a pretty good Motorcycle roadracing simulation game. Has all the tracks and a bunch of bike choices and setups. I'll get it one of these days I guess.

Doug C
mattillac
for the 21 yr old, grand theft auto: san andreas. you'll probably like it too.

for the kids, ratchet and clank: up your arsenal. my six year old kid brother loves that game, and so does my old man. they play it together.

both games have awesome reviews.
check www.gamefaqs.com

need for speed underground 2 is an excellent racing game.

beerchug.gif

your girls might like dance dance revolution or karaoke revolution. both are really addictive games that you use different parts of your body to play(feet, voice). youll need a dance pad for dance dance revolution. i'm actually kind of addicted to that game. it's good excersice. if you have fat kids that need to lose some weight, get them dance dance revolution. wink.gif
Rouser
Gran Turismo 3 is the only thing I play on the PS2.

I also really like Grand Turismo 3. Probably the best driving game there is.

Yep, it's all I play on the PS2, while steering the WRX around with my Logitech wheel:
IPB Image
ninefourteener
Sports games are always popular... I just don't like them... so I can't help you much there.

However.... I love 1st-person games... and racing games

Grand theft auto (San andreas is the new one)
Metal gear (Just came out with "3".. supposed to be AWESOME)
Hitman (I just finished "2".. it was quite cool)
Gran Turismo (1, 2, or 3... they all rock)
Need for speed underground (2 just came out, but 1 was awesome)

I got my daughter a gamecube.....lots more "kids" games... all of the above games are pretty adult oriented for older kids.
Mueller
no playstation sad.gif ..... mother-in-law bought me one for christmas...the wife took it back to the store...between the 914, my other hobbies and this forum, she said she'll be damned if there is something else to take time away from our "quality" time smile.gif
Lou W
mattillac Posted on Dec 13 2004, 02:35 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
for the 21 yr old, grand theft auto: san andreas. you'll probably like it too.

for the kids, ratchet and clank: up your arsenal. my six year old kid brother loves that game, and so does my old man. they play it together.

both games have awesome reviews.
check www.gamefaqs.com

need for speed underground 2 is an excellent racing game.

your girls might like dance dance revolution or karaoke revolution. both are really addictive games that you use different parts of your body to play(feet, voice). youll need a dance pad for dance dance revolution. i'm actually kind of addicted to that game. it's good excersice. if you have fat kids that need to lose some weight, get them dance dance revolution
We purchased a DDRMAX2 Dance Revolution for our Playstation 2 along with two dance pads, my 14 year old daughter and her freinds come over, ranging from 9 years old to 18 love it, even the parents have fun with it. smile.gif
McMark
Karaoke Revolution is fun. GT3 sucks with the standard controller, IMHO.

Game Cube has Zelda: Windwaker. AWESOME!
mattillac
my favorite cube game is VIEWTIFUL JOE.

most BITCHIN' game for a while, if you like kickin the crap out of a bunch of bad guys. smilie_pokal.gif
howardchen327
Yes GT3 is the best racing game on the market, but it is kind of tough for young kids. My suggestion is don't buy GT3 now Why? Because GT4 IS COMING OUT!!! GT4 has more cars and tracks than GT3.

Another great racing game is " Tokyo extrem racer ". This is my favorite game. I still play it after beat the game, I never get bored of the game!!! pray.gif mueba.gif

There is also a rally racing game called " Colin McRae " It is the most realistic rally game ever made. A lot of people loves it!
tdgray
I agree with the GT3 (and GT4) recommends, thats good stuff boldblue.gif

For the younger one I suggest any of the Spyro or Crash Bandicoot games. My son absolutely loves those things. He's presently working on Crash Bandicoot - The wrath of Cortex.

I am not sure about the girls though, my daughter is 14 and while she does play it, shes just not into it like my son. She enjoys the racing games when she does play it. ATV racing, GT3 and the like.

Best thing you can do is go to your friendly local video game rental store and rent a few to try them out. Then the kids will really be able to see if they like them.

Oh and just my .02 (and I am sure I will get bashed for this) please don't buy your kids any games that glorify killing, drug dealing etc. I'm not a religous freak or a prude (very far from it biggrin.gif ), I just hate how those games demean human existence. I don't even let my kids play with toy guns. If you want to introduce your kids to violence let them watch C-Span wink.gif
hargray2
SOCOM - U.S. Navy Seals I or II

get a network adapter and headset for online - AWESOME!
That's all I play.
IronHillRestorations
If you've got a place that rents games, try some out before you buy, and then try to get them at a place that sells used games (with a guarantee). The nice thing about PS2 is the fact that it plays the PS1 games which you can get really cheap, and some of those are still fun to play.

HotShots3 - one of the best video golf games I've ever played, can be found for around $20
Acecombat4 - a excellent aircombat game
Gran Turisimo3 - I agree with the others too
SSX3 - a fun snowboarding game with excellent graphics, and fairly easy to play
Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed - decent driving game, but fun to drive with the 914
RallyCross - a PS1 rally driving game that is just fun to play
tat2dphreak
tony hawk games, nfl 2k5, gt3(4 soon), wwe raw v. smackdown, all the GTA games(haven't played san andreas yet though...

I play too many games... many more on the PC than PS2 though...
anthony
Gran Turismo 3 usually comes in PS2 bundles. If not, then you can usually pick it up for $20 or probably a lot less on ebay. You really need a good wheel to make it fun.

I loved Grand Theft Auto III. GTA Vice City was more of the same. I got bored and never finished it. I will probably ship San Andreas until it's in the $20 bargain bin.
Andyrew
Lets just say that I have gt3 on my desk.. and I dont have a ps2....

Waiting till
A: gt4 comes out
B: ps2 prices drop
C: ps3 becomes more of the hype and people start giving away ps2's (like they do now with Dreamcasts... 20 freekin bucks for one used, and I havent picked one up)
and theres always
D: I have more money than I can spend.

Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.