Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What should I do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J-ROD
Well I think the time has come to sell my 71 1.7L 914 after only a year and a half of ownership. Have a baby on the way and currently a cast on my left leg so doubt I will have time and funds to keep it. My question to you guys is should I sell as is or put a little money in it? I don't want to put money in I can't get back out. Currently it runs and drives fine but could use a tune up and valve adjustment. Plus I noticed one of the injector seals is now leaking after sitting for a few months. The interior is decent accept for the seat and carpet. So what do you guys think its worth as is? What would it be worth with the seal fixed and a tune up and the seat re coverd? Is it worth it? Any opinions would help. Thanks
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
r_towle
if it runs and drives, don't put money into it, you wont get it back.

Take many pictures, specifically of the body, under the rocker covers, under the battery tray, all the known rust spots.

The BODY is what sells these cars..the rest of the repairs are simple in comparison.

For a value, its really location dependent and what the buyer is willing to pay for the car,

Put it in the classifieds with lots of pictures and it will sell fast.
Be lazy and it could take a year to sell.

Pictures sell these cars....did I mention that smile.gif

rich
J-ROD
QUOTE(r_towle @ Sep 10 2013, 03:33 PM) *

if it runs and drives, don't put money into it, you wont get it back.

Take many pictures, specifically of the body, under the rocker covers, under the battery tray, all the known rust spots.

The BODY is what sells these cars..the rest of the repairs are simple in comparison.

For a value, its really location dependent and what the buyer is willing to pay for the car,

Put it in the classifieds with lots of pictures and it will sell fast.
Be lazy and it could take a year to sell.

Pictures sell these cars....did I mention that smile.gif

rich

Thanks for your opinion. I plan on taking some better pictures when I list it up for sale. Just wanted to put some in the post so you would have a idea of condition. It's actually raining here in Albuquerque so only snapped two. The body is very solid and has probably been in the southwest most if not all of its life. Seems like there aren't many 914 buyers around here from what I have seen with them sitting on Craigslist when they come up. That's why I was kinda looking for a general price range for a running and driving 71?
green914
agree.gif If it runs & drives do not put any more money into it. Clean it up as nice as you can, and then as already mentioned, take lots of pictures to post with ad. Place your ad on as many auto-sale's sites as you can find. Look at the ads on those same sites to see what others are asking for cars similar to yours; that might help you with your asking price. Congratulations on the new addition to your family. smile.gif
green914
Cool mirrors. Don't see them mounted out on the fenders like that very often.
damesandhotrods
By all means fix the fuel leak, there is a lot at stake here. Besides it makes the car look neglected and unmaintained.
Drums66
....Sell it!...baby's are more fun than a 914(say what!)
have to change diaper's on both idea.gif

bye1.gif
jimkelly
I could be way off but i'll throw a guess out there

$3000-$3500 if it is indeed practically rust free

all the best with the sale!

jim

J-ROD
Thanks for all the info and opinions bye1.gif it's our first so it's pretty exciting but also nerve wracking epically since I'm on disability until the cast is off. Had to chose between the 914 and my Audi TT since the TT runs with no issues it's the winner. Hopefully will be back to work before the 914 sells and it can be the winter project idea.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Sep 10 2013, 03:59 PM) *
By all means fix the fuel leak, there is a lot at stake here. Besides it makes the car look neglected and unmaintained.

agree.gif

I'd fix the fuel leak but otherwise just give it a good cleaning and make sure the mechanics work.
driving.gif
chads74
I bought my running and drivable, yet very ugly rust free 914 in Phoenix for 4k and felt like I got a good deal on it. Also don't let the cast deter you from working on your car, I did 90% of my v8 swap with my right leg in a cast,
rhodyguy
do both seals on all the injectors. should take about 30 minutes
J-ROD
I found the injector seals here in town so will probably go tomorrow morning. I figure for the few dollars they will be worth it. knowing my luck if I dont somebody will take it for a test drive and it will catch fire unsure.gif I started to take some pictures today and will probably post it for sale locally first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.