Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Would Boxster seats work?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I know the 'aftermarket seats' debate has been done to death, but has anyone looked at fitting Boxster seats in a 914? Is the bottom pad still too tall?

I'm looking for any way I can find to avoid the stock seat for whatever reason. They've just always been uncomfortable to me.

I can get a set of Boxster seats locally for under $500...and I'm guessing it'd be a little more comfortable.
Cap'n Krusty
I think width if the seat bottom may kill the idea, as well as the thickness of the cushion. You'd probably lose the fore and aft movement, even if they fit otherwise.

The Cap'n
Woody
You'd have to be pretty short. They sit up a bit higher.
CptTripps
Yeah...it was a pipe-dream.

Thanks guys...
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 10 2013, 08:59 PM) *

Yeah...it was a pipe-dream.

Thanks guys...

i think they could be done - this is a picture of 993 seats. slight modifications may be necessary . smile.gif width wise they are a little tight but do fit. original mounting rails were removed. I have a boxter too, and while these seats are much more comfortable than the originals, i would probably do the boxster seats today. now, i am 6'2'', so i wanted a seat with a higher head rest to protect my head from hitting the back window if hit from behind.
CptTripps
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 11 2013, 08:36 AM) *

i think they could be done - this is a picture of 993 seats.

Interesting...couple of questions:

1: Did you hook the electrics up?

2: Can you shoot a pic from the other direction? I'd like to see where the headrests end up.

3: Are those seriously wood door panels? biggrin.gif
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 11 2013, 08:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Philip W. @ Sep 11 2013, 08:36 AM) *

i think they could be done - this is a picture of 993 seats.

Interesting...couple of questions:

1: Did you hook the electrics up?

2: Can you shoot a pic from the other direction? I'd like to see where the headrests end up.

3: Are those seriously wood door panels? biggrin.gif

Answers:
1. Yes
- not too hard, just ran the wires thru to the engine compartment, ran them to a dedicated 25A breaker connection that is then wired to the battery.- you have to make sure they sell you the pigtail connectors too.
FYI - seats were obtained from LADismantlers

2.i will post
- back pad was replaced with fiberglass panels from 914 AP, of which they covered with 1/8" pad and then new black sport vinyl. this way they can sit back into the natural curve of the panels. if i had the original padding on there, it would stick out too far. - it actually is similar to the boxster, and you could just sound proof your firewall and carpet it like a boxster if you wanted and i think it would look fine.

3. yep! biggrin.gif my original ones were really tough shape, so i pulled them when fixing my door locks and handles early in my ownership. So, made templates from the originals, i had some burled wood left over from a bookcase project i was working on at the time, and thought until i could afford new RS panels, it would work out, stained them Cherry to go with the copper metalic car and the Italian wood steering wheel i picked up off flea-bay for $50! I now have new door panels that are fiberglass core from 914 AP/914 rubber.
DRPHIL914
i now have these door panels-
CptTripps
These are local for me. I'd be into a pair for under $300.

http://bit.ly/1dab5UU

Problem is that I really can't see them first. Hmmmm
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Sep 13 2013, 05:41 AM) *

These are local for me. I'd be into a pair for under $300.

http://bit.ly/1dab5UU

Problem is that I really can't see them first. Hmmmm

Hey, for that price i would go take a look, i paid that for each seat. and there is a company that makes recover kits.
- a little more info- pm sent
phil
Chris H.
Aw man now you guys are getting me side tracked! biggrin.gif So Phil what did you do for seat rails? Attach 914 seat rails to the seats and remove the tilt?
JStroud
You might want to try out a boxster seat before you go spending money, I drove a boxster off and on for two years, never thought the seats were comfortable, neither did my wife, we both feel the 914 seats are better.

So I wouldn't just expect them to be more comfortable just cause their newer.
But who knows you might like them.

Just my .02

Jeff
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(jsconst @ Sep 13 2013, 09:35 AM) *

You might want to try out a boxster seat before you go spending money, I drove a boxster off and on for two years, never thought the seats were comfortable, neither did my wife, we both feel the 914 seats are better.

So I wouldn't just expect them to be more comfortable just cause their newer.
But who knows you might like them.

Just my .02

Jeff

Jeff,
this is good advice, every one is different. the seats above are 993 911 seats and are i think more comfortable than my boxster seats, and have 8 way electric adj. whereas my boxster seats my wife likes the support and side support, but i can not adjust the front seat height on mine, like most, it pivots in front and the back of the bottom cusion will go up and down(manually) although the seat back does adjust electric. So i like the older 911 seats a little better .

Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 13 2013, 09:17 AM) *

Aw man now you guys are getting me side tracked! biggrin.gif So Phil what did you do for seat rails? Attach 914 seat rails to the seats and remove the tilt?

no, removed the seat rails and bolted the 911 seat rails to the floor.
Scott S
I was confident that 993 seats would raise you at least 4" until I read this ^^^

I have been futsing with the 993 seats in my 911 for about 8 months (removing foam, etc to get me lower in the car). I refuse to cut the rails (at least as of today...). I am learning way more about these seats than I ever wanted to - it stinks. The actual seating surface is much higher than a 914 seat.

I actually thought about seeing if a set of the renegade seats like I had done for the 914 would fit in the 911.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.