Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 vs. 914S
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zeekman914
what is the diffence between the 914 and the 914S. And is there any other types? crest.gif
mike_the_man
I've never heard of a 914S. That's a new one to me. What exactly do you mean by a 914S? Where have you seen one refered to as that? I'm slightly confused, but whats new there. biggrin.gif
jd74914
914s was a dealer term for the 1973 2.0/4. Porsche killed it because they didn't want to ruin the reputation of the 911s

There are no other types of 914 but the /4 and /6 (well there are the few 914gt's two /8's and 12 916s, all which sell for $100,000's)
lapuwali
As I recall, it was never an official designation. More like a dealer-applied label for some cars with some of the higher-end options packages. It may have been US only.
vortrex
I thought the manual on the '73 2.0 car said "914S"? just thinking back to my old car..
Rouser
It was a designation on a vintage US ad that was later dropped (to protect 911S sales):
Dave_Darling
Yup! It was something that VWoA, or their advertising consultants, came up with. And was dropped pretty quickly. You will sometimes see people referring to it even today, though they seem to just mean a 73 2.0 which will have all of the regular options. (Well, most of them did...)

Evidently the two 914-8s were at some point called "914S" as well.

--DD
xsboost90
so did any of them come with the flares besides the 916? my bud -944 guy-asked if they were just six cylinder i said no...but then i dont know what they DID come on.
mike_the_man
Well, ya learn something every day! And I think that only the 914-6 GTs came with flares. Were they ever a dealer option on the 6s?
Bleyseng
Yes, the Dealer M471 option.
URY914
Mine is a 914VL.

Not "Light" but "Very Light" biggrin.gif

Paul
Gustl
QUOTE(zeekman914 @ Dec 13 2004, 11:25 PM)
what is the diffence between the 914 and the 914S.

I figured it out a couple of weeks ago at another thread

just scroll down to the pics of the prize lists and read the following posts

Gustl
72914S
I have a hard cover repair book that says 914S on the front cover . I say my car is a "S" because all the options that were avalible on a `73 are installed on my `72 ,2.0L,sway bars, gauge panel,fuchs,bilstiens,(no AC)
aircooledboy
Long ago I had a 73' and the title said 914S. Then I got married, and traded it in for a more "practical" car: a Suzuki Samuria!!!! headbang.gif headbang.gif
zeekman914
OK thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.