Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: old helmet "disposal"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
As the title sez, what does one do with old, used, out-of-date helmets? confused24.gif
All are past their "sell by date", some the padding has gotten unsupportive, and the visors have age cracks and hardware issues......all reasons that they were retired and replaced.

Initially I thought to give them to neighborhood kids to play with.......but thinking about possible liability issues, I think not.

It seems a waste to just put them in the garbage and they are really not worthy of display as they have no "provenance".

Any ideas other than the dumpster?
Mblizzard
Check to see if they can be recycled.
bigkensteele
I was about to throw out donating them to your favorite sports bar for use as wall bling, but that could also lead to them falling into the wrong hands and being used, leading to a potential liability problem.

I don't worry about liability issues as much as I probably should, but if you are serious about ridding yourself of these and insuring that they will never be used again, you might want to think about sawzalling then in half and putting them in the trash.

Or you could plant flowers in them in your front yard. I am sure the neighbors would like that!
CptTripps
I used to practice air-brushing on old helmets. If you're ever planning on painting a car, they're fun to test colors on too. I had one old helmet that I probibly painted 50 times.

Or...sawzalls are fun too!
Eric_Shea
Get them signed by your favorite driver and put them in your cave.
rnellums
I see them in goodwill all the time. technically I guess you would still be liable, but they would never be able to trace it back.
scotty b
Drop them off in front of the local college frat houses. They'll find something to do with them drunk.gif headbang.gif wacko.gif
bulitt
QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 10 2013, 11:58 PM) *

Drop them off in front of the local college frat houses. They'll find something to do with them drunk.gif headbang.gif wacko.gif

"Watch this Bubba !" beerchug.gif
carr914
I Collect Race Worn Helmets (no Replicas) but there is a market for Replicas. So Tripps suggestion of Air-Brushing is a good one

Click to view attachment
ThePaintedMan
I've always wanted to learn how to airbrush a helmet, but I'm too chicken to try it on mine smile.gif

That is a great suggestion!
SLITS
Give it to your wife/girlfriend and tell her you were thinking about her and bought her a hanging planter!

Should be good for a couple of points anyway.
Pat Garvey
You could sent it to Syria with no return address. Somone there could use it.
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 11 2013, 02:19 PM) *

You could sent it to Syria with no return address. Somone there could use it.

My favorite suggestions so far! av-943.gif
Valy
Repaint and use as light fixtures.

Regarding reuse, as a kid, I was biking with an used WWI Prussian helmet - Pickelhaube (no bike helmets back then). Really cool and the soldier who lost it was probably not in a condition to be liable of anything. BTW, the helmet was painted red as I got it from a makeshift fire brigade that finally got budget to buy new equipment.
patrick3000
Find your local autocross club and give it to them, always in need of a loaner for the day.
GaroldShaffer
Gun range for target practice.
somd914
Screw the lawyers and liability! Give them to me - I'm always looking for garage art... biggrin.gif
carr914
QUOTE(patrick3000 @ Sep 12 2013, 02:54 PM) *

Find your local autocross club and give it to them, always in need of a loaner for the day.

Most A/X & Auto Clubs have Rules that deal with the Manufacture Date

Halloween is coming up
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.