Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Valve train wire spring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
N2Deep thread

I saw this picture on the above thread, post #8, I think. I thought I would bring it up, cause I have not seen the topic on here.

Black arrow pointing to the part of the wire spring touching the lip of the tube. Red arrow and line another possible location, inside the tube touching (holding up?) the PR. I don't remember the manuals being extremely specific about this spring.

So the spring is to help hold the tube snug, right? If it was touching the pushrod, it would eventually cut the spring or pushrod.

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
They are there to support the push rods, not hold the tubes in. -Those are in wrong, they should go into the ends of the push rod tubes. If they rub too much on the pushrod, from being bent wrong, you will see a shiny spot around the whole circumference of the pushrod.
Cap'n Krusty
The subject has been discussed repeatedly, on the verge of being beaten to death. The photo accurately pictures the correct installation. It is described in the catalog as a "securing clip for protective tube". If the wire were touching the push rod, it would wear a hole in the softer aluminum.

The Cap'n
malcolm2
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 12 2013, 11:02 AM) *

The subject has been discussed repeatedly, on the verge of being beaten to death. The photo accurately pictures the correct installation. It is described in the catalog as a "securing clip for protective tube". If the wire were touching the push rod, it would wear a hole in the softer aluminum.

The Cap'n

dead horse.gif

Searching for stuff on a computer is great...If you know what to type. I never looked for it, probably why I never saw it.

To what catalog are you referring?
stugray
They are there to support the push rods, not hold the tubes in. -Those are in wrong, they should go into the ends of the push rod tubes.

That is backwards.

They go in like the clip on the left of Malcom's picture above (the black arrow)

Wrong:
IPB Image

Right:
IPB Image

Stu
Nine_14
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 12 2013, 06:02 PM) *

The Cap'n

agree.gif

Have checked a catalog too -> Part name is right "securing clip for protective tube"
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(malcolm2 @ Sep 12 2013, 09:10 AM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Sep 12 2013, 11:02 AM) *

The Cap'n

dead horse.gif

Searching for stuff on a computer is great...If you know what to type. I never looked for it, probably why I never saw it.

To what catalog are you referring?

The PET catalog. That's Porsche's catalog available on a disc for around 12 bucks, or online for free. Google "Porsche Classic Parts Catalog" and do what you have to do. If you get a message about loading a better version of the PDF, do it by clicking on the message. Every part of the car that has a number, available or not, is there for you to see and each part has a number and description, just like the paper parts books. I use it all the time, mostly to make myself look even smarter than I am ................

The Cap'n
nathansnathan
I always thought it was somehow to position the push rods, turns out I was wrong.

I am still in doubt about the first pic showing the correct installation. I've always run them the other way, with the pointy bits inside the push rod tube, under the push rod, and never had any issues.

They don't really fit the way that's shown. You'd have to torque the rockers with the wire installed (?) which would mess up the rocker stand torque, or bend the crap out of the wire to get them that way. Seems like it being so tight would domage the push rod tube ends also.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Sep 12 2013, 01:57 PM) *

I always thought it was somehow to position the push rods, turns out I was wrong.

I am still in doubt about the first pic showing the correct installation. I've always run them the other way, with the pointy bits inside the push rod tube, under the push rod, and never had any issues.

They don't really fit the way that's shown. You'd have to torque the rockers with the wire installed (?) which would mess up the rocker stand torque, or bend the crap out of the wire to get them that way. Seems like it being so tight would damage the push rod tube ends also.

Trust me, that's the way they go, and they're easily installed after the rocker assemblies are in place. One way is to let then extend down the tubes and pull them back into place with a small pick tool. Another is to install the parts that press on the tubes and then snap the wires into the slots on the rocker stands. Harder that way, I think. It's NOT going to affect the rocker stand torque.

The Cap'n
Dave_Darling
I've always run them the other way, with the pointy bits inside the push rod tube, under the push rod, and never had any issues.

People who run them that way are the same ones who later post questions about the shiny area near the end of their pushrods. Or the notches partway through the pushrods.

Trust us, the black arrow is correct. The wire holds the tubes in and pushes them toward the center of the car. The wire is not super duper stiff, you can install it with the inner ends down the tube (like the red arrow) and then pull back on them with a pick or an L-shaped Allen wrench until they "click" onto the shoulder of the tube.

--DD
nathansnathan
Well you learn something everyday. I will give it a try... done almost a hundred thousand miles the other way. smile.gif
r_towle
dead horse.gif
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 12 2013, 05:15 PM) *

I've always run them the other way, with the pointy bits inside the push rod tube, under the push rod, and never had any issues.

People who run them that way are the same ones who later post questions about the shiny area near the end of their pushrods. Or the notches partway through the pushrods.

Trust us, the black arrow is correct. The wire holds the tubes in and pushes them toward the center of the car. The wire is not super duper stiff, you can install it with the inner ends down the tube (like the red arrow) and then pull back on them with a pick or an L-shaped Allen wrench until they "click" onto the shoulder of the tube.

--DD

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.